Trying an interpreter for the first time...

Hayden

Reaction score
I am trying an interpreter in class next week for the first time. I'm nervous, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck! :)

They are great! My school hired a full time interpreter in December for me... The first week or two, it was a little harder to understand and her signs were different from previous interpreters I used... Now, it's painless. I struggle without her because I rely so much on her now... Good luck!

I seriously need any volunteer ASL interpreter

I am trying an interpreter in class next week for the first time. I'm nervous, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm seriously in need of some one who is willingly to interprete an asl for me volunterly at a job interview with the UPS in Se caucus New Jersey.

I apply for the UPS Job since like over three weeks ago and they schedule me for an interview. But once they found out I'm deaf person seeking employment with them, they said they cannot provide an interpreter and further to that, they said, they cannot interview me without an interpreter.

So I would be happy if there is anyone out there willing to interprete for me or could help links me to any ASL interpreter volunteer organization in New Jersey.

Don't be afraid to ask for a different interpreter or to flat out tell the interpreters that they should know the vocabulary BEFORE class.
When I took advanced Organic Chemistry I had 3 different interpreters. Two were awesome and not only learned the signs but they met with the professor to make sure they understood the concept. One interpreter was awful and actually took a phone call in the middle of class. She also didn't show up a few times so the professor just told me that I should go home since I had one of the highest grades in the class.

But my grades went down a bit when one of the good interpreters got a different job and I was stuck with the bad interpreter twice a week and (luckily) I still had the other good interpreter once a week.

Don't be afraid to ask for a different interpreter or to flat out tell the interpreters that they should know the vocabulary BEFORE class.
When I took advanced Organic Chemistry I had 3 different interpreters. Two were awesome and not only learned the signs but they met with the professor to make sure they understood the concept. One interpreter was awful and actually took a phone call in the middle of class. She also didn't show up a few times so the professor just told me that I should go home since I had one of the highest grades in the class.

But my grades went down a bit when one of the good interpreters got a different job and I was stuck with the bad interpreter twice a week and (luckily) I still had the other good interpreter once a week.

One of the best tips I can give you is to request from your teachers and disability center a list of the vocabulary they expect to discuss for both you and the interpreters (I built this into my "requests" through the resource center). This is helpful for long confusing compounds for sciences or for names in history etc. When the interpreters don't understand art history for example this list would help them know how to properly spell "Piet Mondrian". Also like the post above said, if you like an interpreter, request them for future classes! I had a set of 5 consistent interpreters who became very familiar with art terms, so I knew their sign for shutter speed and other camera specific words. When I had subs there was always a very large gap in vocabulary and how clearly they heard and interpreted what I needed to know.

Good luck!!

I'm seriously in need of some one who is willingly to interprete an asl for me volunterly at a job interview with the UPS in Se caucus New Jersey.

I apply for the UPS Job since like over three weeks ago and they schedule me for an interview. But once they found out I'm deaf person seeking employment with them, they said they cannot provide an interpreter and further to that, they said, they cannot interview me without an interpreter.

So I would be happy if there is anyone out there willing to interprete for me or could help links me to any ASL interpreter volunteer organization in New Jersey.
Using a volunteer terp for a job interview is a bad idea.

Certainly UPS has heard of the ADA?

Did you get the interview thru your VR? They should have made arrangements for you.

If not, you need to be more assertive with explaining to UPS that they provide the terp. If you don't do that now, they'll never provide one for you for training, for employee meetings, etc.

Try this for help:

NJRID - New Jersey Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf

Reba has it right. UPS is required by law to provide an interperter. They. Most likely know this but will BS you expecting you to not know the law. If I were you I would call with the relay service and have themtell you this so you get a transcript of UPS ignoring the law. The. Contact NAD, national association for the deaf. They will have their legal dept help you. Or even the. Dept of justice. They can come down on UPS and then be forced to hire you

They lied to you. They can provide one but refuse to do so. That's a violation of ADA as well as EEO.

There was an interpreter at my boyfriend's graduation last weekend. Even with holes in my vocab, it was amazingly helpful to have her there! I didn't realize how much I was missing until that weekend. Loved it!

Back