Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction

defgrl I had that happen to me just yesterday. I was reading and then my phone rang (I keep it on vibrate) so I picked up and told my wife where I am. I use it for one reason which is to let my wife know where I am and she's the only one that calls that number so I knew it was her. This guy was totally shocked that I could use my voice and said I can't be hard of hearing if I picked up the phone and used my voice. I explained to him I could speak to her but I couldn't hear her on the other side. I was just letting her know where I was.

Some people just can't wrap their heads around it.

I have a question for everyone though. When people don't get that you can't hear them, do you ever turn off your voice to get a point across?

defgrl I had that happen to me just yesterday. I was reading and then my phone rang (I keep it on vibrate) so I picked up and told my wife where I am. I use it for one reason which is to let my wife know where I am and she's the only one that calls that number so I knew it was her. This guy was totally shocked that I could use my voice and said I can't be hard of hearing if I picked up the phone and used my voice. I explained to him I could speak to her but I couldn't hear her on the other side. I was just letting her know where I was.

I have a question for everyone though. When people don't get that you can't hear them, do you ever turn off your voice to get a point across?

I would be happy if they could understand my speech. NO I do not turn my voice off to get a point across.

It is very obvious I can't hear them. If communication problems are insurmountable, I write if they can't understand and they write to me.

more and more often these days

Being a CODA, I grew up with the constant bombardment of misconceptions for deafness. My parents would often say, "those HEARING people...!!!" where I would often reply, "you made me this way..."

Humor is always the best solution. Friend of my dad's would give them a taste of their own medicine... when hearies did not understand his voice he would talk slower and louder (not necessarily more clearly) then bust up with laughter in their face!

Here's a new one:
Even though I am deaf, I am still required to wear ear plugs at work which are little more than foam shoved in my ears, lol.

Here's a new one:
Even though I am deaf, I am still required to wear ear plugs at work which are little more than foam shoved in my ears, lol.

You are kidding me. :shock:

I used to work in a Factory situation and they thought it was not necessary for me to wear them since I can't hear.

What is the point?

sheesh.

I used to work in a Factory situation and they thought it was not necessary for me to wear them since I can't hear.

What is the point?

sheesh.

Even though you say you can't hear, you could sue them by telling them that you have lost more hearing because you were told ear plugs were not necessary. :)

Today a guy in my class asked me why I had transcribers.
I told him, plain and simple "because I'm hard of hearing."
He told me I wasn't hard of hearing.
Chee, thanks for the validation...
:roll:
Then he decided to try make it difficult for my transcribers by being annoying and saying things really really fast.
They wrote {male student being a jackass}, which made my afternoon.

whats a transcriber? I have never heard of that before and I am HOH, They just offer me crappy hearing aids that dont work well and no insurance coverage!!people do this stuff to me all the time. The best is when I tell someone I cannot understand them because I am HOH and their response is " what?!??!" followed by laughter.. as in mimicking me because I cant hear. I've heard that one a MILLION times when is it going to get old? apparently people think its funny, which makes me pretty angry.

whats a transcriber? I have never heard of that before and I am HOH, They just offer me crappy hearing aids that dont work well and no insurance coverage!!people do this stuff to me all the time. The best is when I tell someone I cannot understand them because I am HOH and their response is " what?!??!" followed by laughter.. as in mimicking me because I cant hear. I've heard that one a MILLION times when is it going to get old? apparently people think its funny, which makes me pretty angry.

Transcribe means to write down.

So the transcriber writes the lecture out.

the tables can be turned too - most deaf people i've met don't believe that i'm deaf at first. it's weird.. do i act/look like i'm hearing or something? :\
Yeah I get that all the time and I can't even hear loudest sound in universe RIGHT in my ear (completely deaf in both ear no sound only vibration with most powerful ha maxed out)
its like um hello I'm deafer than any one of you and you're accusing me of being hearing? Ha maybe its because of my writing/english skill? Because of my intelligent? What is it?

When I get kidded about my hearing I am patient about it. Usually it is lame but once the guy gets it out of his system and has his little laugh it is move on to something else. I work in a constantly changing environment of construction workers. I really don't expect correctness. People want to make their world familiar to them when different things come into it. I would rather jokes than sympathy really and most know that. I save my anger for the people who rip us off on hearing aid prices.

What is the point?

sheesh.
I'm not kidding. But then again maybe they are protecting their butts from frivolous lawsuits.

But it doesn't matter, all workers are going to lose some of their hearing there. It's just the nature of the work environment. It's loud and there's a lot of machinery. You practically have to shout into each other's ears to have a conversation.

I'm not kidding. But then again maybe they are protecting their butts from frivolous lawsuits.

But it doesn't matter, all workers are going to lose some of their hearing there. It's just the nature of the work environment. It's loud and there's a lot of machinery. You practically have to shout into each other's ears to have a conversation.

I hear you there! Usually when someone starts shouting at me, a look comes over my face and they remember it's pointless to yell at me. lol

Yes, The person above me advertising in their signature. It is against the rules, and they know it. They try to slip it in by making some statement first.

That advertising or whatever as their signature, I have seen now on at least 4 or 5 others that only have 1-4 posts.

Last edited:
That advertising or whatever as their signature, I have seen now on at least 4 or 5 others that only have 1-4 posts.

Yes they seem to think they are clever and usually put the spam signature in French.

What idiots!

Back