Truly bilingual

sheri363

Reaction score
Kentucky School for the Deaf staffer relishes his role as an encourager - The Advocate Messenger: Boyle

Wilton McMillan, the director of outreach for statewide support services at the Kentucky School for the Deaf....

I really didn’t have language or communication the first five years of my life,” McMillan said.

Unfortunately, McMillan said, that is the norm for many deaf and hard of hearing students. He expresses concerns that there are children nationwide who don’t have a grasp on English or ASL, calling it a state of emergency, something that he believes should be examined by the federal and state governments.

“I’m so passionate. Passionate for how we can get every single deaf and hard of hearing child to be truly bilingual,” McMillan said. “They can sign up a storm and write up a storm, too.”

Note this is an outreach person. He sees ALL sorts of dhh kids....not just the kids who are lucky enough to end up at the Deaf School.....Does anyone know if there's a disreprency between rural states and suburban state dhh acheivement?

Back