True Cost for Sprint HTC EVO 4G Plans

Tommy

Reaction score
At first, I thought the new data plan for Sprint HTC EVO 4 would cost $39.99, and later I got the impression that it would drop down to $29.99 monthly. So I decided to verify at Sprint Relay Store. I had to pretend to "order" to find out the cost of the data plan, and I knew that I could cancel the order very easily by just stopping and closing down the order.

This is what I found. $29.99 monthly for the Sprint PDA Data only Plan which includes unlimited SMS text messages, but not Phone as Modem (PAM) for tethering. In order to update to 4G, Sprint requires additional $10 premium data which I assume to include PAM.

If you want to use HTC EVO 4G to share the internet with multiple WI-FI devices, you will have to pay $29.99 monthly for mobile hotspot. If you have to ask what this is, you probably don't need this feature. :lol:

Thanks for the link

Evo Dragon,

I watched the link, but it is too complicated as there are too many steps being shown and also too much goggling back and forth the EVO phone and laptop in order to use the laptop.

It is so much simple to use the older Blackberry (BB) as a PAM for the laptop and just hook up the BB to laptop and use either Blackberry Desktop Manager or Sprint Smartview on the laptop to make the connection.

Will the EVO HTC work as a PAM if you just pay for the regular data ($29.99) and $10 for 4G plan?

PAM Clarification

The Sprint Relay store is not really clear about which plans you have to get in order to use HTC as PAM.

I just called the regional manager who said that you have to pay for all three plans in order to use HTC as PAM. I think I will stay with my old Blackberrry for a while :aw:

EVO Dragon,

I just sent you an earlier reply thanking you for your link, but it looks like it was not submitted.

I just want to say that the link shows the use of HTC and laptop as too complicated as it shows too amny steps and too much goggling between the HTC and laptop.

It is much more simple for me to just plug my Blackberry to the laptop as a PAM and open either the Blackberry Desktop Manager or Sprint Smartview icon on the laptop to start the tethering.

However, it makes me think about which plan I have to buy in order to use HTC as PAM. The HDC ad is not clear. That is why I called the Sprint Relay Store to clarify this point.

Hopefully, someone will find a quicker and easier way to use HTC as PAM

Alright, first of all, yes they does charge you with exclusive plan for deaf customers at 29.99 included unlimit txt/data/roam plus premium service addition 10dollars. However pam can be charge at no cost by use easytether or pdanet apps to tether via usb.

Second, if u want to include the hotspot (turns evo into wifi router) then u have to pay 30 dollars fee monthly due to higher data usage.

So if u dont want to pay any extra fee then go with usb tether instead.

I have submitted two other replies to Evo Dragon, but

they did not go through. I was thanking Evo for the link. I was telling him that the link showed too many complications using both the pdanet and EVO 4G such as taking too many steps and too much juggling back and forth between 4G and laptop. The average deaf person would not be able to do all that. :aw:

I also told him that it is much simpler to just hook up my Blackberry (BB) to my laptop and click on either Blackberry Desktop Manager or Sprint Smartview Icon to use BB as PAM.

Hopefully, there will soon be a quicker and easier way to use HTC as PAM. :lol:

Alright, first of all, yes they does charge you with exclusive plan for deaf customers at 29.99 included unlimit txt/data/roam plus premium service addition 10dollars. However pam can be charge at no cost by use easytether or pdanet apps to tether via usb.

Second, if u want to include the hotspot (turns evo into wifi router) then u have to pay 30 dollars fee monthly due to higher data usage.

So if u dont want to pay any extra fee then go with usb tether instead.

right

The Sprint Relay store is not really clear about which plans you have to get in order to use HTC as PAM.

I just called the regional manager who said that you have to pay for all three plans in order to use HTC as PAM. I think I will stay with my old Blackberrry for a while :aw:

PdaNet software is not under Sprint. It's like jailbreak.

PdaNet software is not under Sprint. It's like jailbreak.

Yes and no. PdaNet isnt near anywhere as jailbreaking, why? App has nothing to modificating the OS nor void the warranty.

Jailbreaking is as having administration privilege and its void warranty

I personally rooted(jailbreaking) my Evo to gained the access to got rid of bloatware sprint apps and such.

Last edited:
Right, The PdaNet is more like third party app and carrier don't really care about that.

I used had pdanet on old Treo700p for VZ in 2007 and no problem so far.

Mobile hotspot is up to 5 WIFI for any devices but extra a monthly.

PDANET use USB Tether or bluetooth to ONE computer only but no monthly.

Back