Truck driver fined $25 million!!!

it doesn't matter if it is the only way or best way. you should not be driving over the bridge beyond its legal weight limit otherwise... why would you risk destroying the only way or best way?

that would not be in company's best interest to do that.

According to some internet data about Mr. Zhang troubling, it is still unclear whether the weight of the vehicle was expressed in imperial tons or metric tonnes by Chinese authorities, however, even if expressed in the old imperial format, the outfit’s adjusted weight still comes in at 100 metric tonnes.

By comparison, the maximum permitted gross weight of an articulated vehicle in the UK is 44 tonnes, less than half the mass of this Chinese truck and I couldn't find whether there was a weight limit post sign for that bridge which Mr Zhang I am sure he would of know the limit before crossing it as if he seen it.

yes the bridges have collapsed in America. Remember Minneapolis Bridge Collapse? and Harp Road Bridge in Washington?

Yeah, I remember Minnesota one. I thought it collapsed more of age, rather than oversized load.

And it can also be blamed by the inventor of the bridge or the city engineer not annually check for that bridge which may not only be the trucker's fault as well.

yea I can agree with that. However it said that after long investigation, it showed that it is driver's fault for driving over weight limit.

But then.... maybe it's a cover-up to hide government's mistake (its engineer failing to inspect the bridge properly or not constructing it as according to building code) :dunno:

But then.... maybe it's a cover-up to hide government's mistake (its engineer failing to inspect the bridge properly or not constructing it as according to building code) :dunno:

Indeed... I have thought of this possible too.

Since this long investigating of the unclear information weight subject, 25 million repair price and pointing out only him to blame just does not make any sense. It sounds like something is missing about this controversy link that cause the whole problems.

If there is a sign like this, then the driver is at fault for not obeying it. If there is no sign, how can the driver be blamed?

hHEIO.jpg

Last edited:
Been in China many times, and I learned that Chinese love to cut costs and make money in any possible way. I'm sure the bridge was old and there was a weight limit. The company surely know that, but instead sending 2 trucks that abide with the weight limit, they have sent one truck to cut the cost and make money by saving the cost of the second truck. The Chinese will go to the extreme in making money even by cheating.

Makes me wonder how strong those bridges are supposed to be. A similar bridge in USA would probably not collapse or would it?
This is China that we're talking about. They're known for making things that are defective. ;)

Back