Trouble with my CI

StacieLeigh

Reaction score
I'm Stacie, been years since I been back on here. This past week, my CI sound has been going in and out, get really distorted and weirdly loud. It does the same with my spare. I pop the magnet part off for a sec and pop it back on my head to make the sounds go back to normal. It's been 9 years and a week since I've been implanted with the Nucleus Freedom, not had any upgrades. Has anyone experienced this before and know why?

Well, talked to my audi, have appt this Friday. He said that most likely I'm needing an upgrade now. We'll see what's going on, been cutting in and out again today.

Think it's my coil, not even a whole year old, must have went bad. Only common I can find between both pair. Has anyone else experienced sounds going in out from just a bad coil?

The N6 is really a worthwhile upgrade. Just did that last month from the freedom.
Yep I've had a bad coil or two. The external freedom components were really badly designed. I had half a dozen controller cases crack on the seam over the years. New N6 has a metal connection between processor and battery now too

I had to replaced the controller before, my spare controller buttons are all smashed in except for the power button lol, the display doesn't show very much as it's bad too. My spare coil is on its last leg, wires are exposed on both in, the new coil is what is messing up. I hope he'll still discuss an upgrade with me. Just replaced a cracked battery holder, who knows when that happened. So out of so many extra parts now but the hook. lol

I had to replaced the controller before, my spare controller buttons are all smashed in except for the power button lol, the display doesn't show very much as it's bad too. My spare coil is on its last leg, wires are exposed on both in, the new coil is what is messing up. I hope he'll still discuss an upgrade with me. Just replaced a cracked battery holder, who knows when that happened. So out of so many extra parts now but the hook. lol
What insurance do you have? After 5 years it's considered past it's useful life so most insurances are obligated to pay for upgrade "less copay"

I have medicare
Yep they will cover a new N6 less 20% If you are low income, call cochlear Medicare insurance support directly and ask for financial hardship application. Depending on your income to expense ratio, they may pay part or all of your copay. Which is about $1700 per ear. Don't know if your are bilateral or not. You can actually do this without seeing your audiologist. Cochlear can establish your eligibility over the phone and submit upgrade authorization to Medicare.

Back