Trouble with brake(s)?

Hmm... brake lines? Did they check out the pads? Rotors?

The rotors, calipers, and pads are the most important parts for the braking system. If the pads is thin... about 1-3mm... it means, it needs to be replaced.

When the pads are thin, what usually happens is the brake pedal usually takes a long time to depress for the car to fully stop.

Yeah... Firestone charges a lot because they have to get the parts, and their labour charges are high. Any Autoshop will do that to you. Best way is to find a mechanic friend and ask them. :)

okay...update on my brakes...

it needs 2 new rotors...pads and my caliper is seized so all of that stuff needs to be replaced...my rear brake is dirty.so cleaning and servicing is needed...my parking cable is seized as well. my ABS is fucked up and i am not going to fix that.

I went to 3 differnt places for free inspection and got some estimates.

Canadian Tires - $340
Midas - $620
Speedy - 670

My mother made a phone call to her trusted mech and said they can have it done for approx $350....gonna go with my mother's mech :D

Hope my brakes will hang in til monday..yea am still driving it.

*updates*

My brakes been fixed :mrgreen:

Paid only $250 for new rotors and a set of pads and all brakes have been cleaned and adjusted.

Fuckin' dandy!

bad news is my left lower ball joint needs to be replaced :fu2:

At least my car is much safer now. ;)

Expensive things, cars, aren't they?

This is why, everyone, should learn to do it themselves, I know I can.

Really people, if you'd just take your car in (or like I said, do it yourself) and have them take a look at it, these things wouldn't happen.

Basic maintenance on a car is much cheaper than screwing something over alltogether. I told my sister this many times. However, she refused to listen. Refused to check her oil on a regular basis, and guess what? She doesn't have a car anymore.

Be glad it was only your brakes. Just take it into the shop once a month or every other month, whatever you feel is best. It won't cost much (if anything) to have them look at it, and it'll save you a lot of money in the long run, often times, problems can be fixed, but once something goes out, it has to be replaced, and is often expensive.

I had my '83 Mitisbushi Sigma's brake pads replaced -- my husband installed them himself, only had to purchase the brake lining and pads.

My mother is thinking about buying a used car - Buick Century (?) 2000. I noticed that there are two disc brakes in the front, and two drum brakes are in the rear. I personally hate the drums because they are poor brake design. Is it is a possible to replace from drums to discs?

My mother is thinking about buying a used car - Buick Century (?) 2000. I noticed that there are two disc brakes in the front, and two drum brakes are in the rear. I personally hate the drums because they are poor brake design. Is it is a possible to replace from drums to discs?

Tell your mom get something with 4 wheel disc brakes. It's not worth your time and money to convert it to discs in the rear on a buick. It's possible to do it, but why bother? People who want to convert rear to discs are for people into racing or whatever. I HATE buicks, no offense.

Ok. Yesterday, she changed her mind not to buy the Buick. She doesn't like the style, but it is 4,000 dollars. An old lady who owned the car passed away last year. Her son wants to sell it. The car is still in the garage for 1 1/2 year. I assume that there is some rust inside the motor for too long so it is not worth it. I don't like Buick that much, but some Buick trucks seem nice.
We will keep looking for a better car for less money. I cannot believe that new vehicles are so expensive, and even worse the insurance price is too high for new cars - plus damn a town car tax.

Sometimes Air can come in those lines and casue low pressing.. maybe its Wheel clydiners leaking , or Bad master clydinders...

i saw Kal said she spend 500 for brakes what a crock! thats so expenesive... i can do myself for like 100 or less on my car.. Sometimes autotech can be scamming.. I used to work for Goodyear and Firestone in past and i know whats goin on outthere...

sometime it build up dirty in the brake line or some time have some air in the brike line need to bleed it out to clear it out. one other thing if your rear parking brake spring is broken inside of the brake drum it cause lack of stop while you brake. check out for any small leak can lead to large problem
mark

mmm...Today.. I used my car to go somewhere when i go back (reverse) and it wouldnt STOP COMPLETE.. i was like wtf? Maybe it will be ok when I drive.. but i realized there is NO BRAKE at all.. i had to impact to PUMP the brake to make it to STOP.. it was so difficult to stop the COMPLETE... i had to go slow down .. drove for about 9-10 miles.. and stop by my parents and use their brake fluid and filled it in .. try to pump and test it to let it go flow to see if it works or not.. and I went to drive around... for just a several miles.. (the light goes off --warn about brake) it came back on.. I felt it must be FLUID which it might be LEAKED?

I do not know about it yet.. but I ll take it to FIRESTONE.. to replace a PIPE--maybe or there must be something else.. i dont know yet.

did u try check the whole hoses from the brake lines? possiblly needs a new set of the cables. maybe im wrong

Yes, it is definitely leaked. You gotta bring your car to a closest a gas station or a car garage for repair. A brake hose cracked near one of your tires. It needs a new hose. It is not quite expensive...

Please do not touch the brake liquid with your hand because it is a paint thinner to prevent the erosion. It will burn your skin if you touch it.

And until you can safely, and slowly get to a repair station, just stick your foot out and use your shoe leather to stop the car. :giggle:

Back