Trouble communicating with Deaf child

LawStudent

Reaction score
I've posted here before about the Deaf man I've been seeing, things are going very well. Recently I spent some time with his Deaf child, I am fairly fluent in ASL and can easily understand almost everyone I meet yet I truly struggle to understand his child. So I have come back here for some advice.
Why can't I understand his child, and likewise, his child is unable to understand me when I sign. It quickly becomes very frustrating for both of us, but I don't know what to do differently. Any tips would be helpful :hmm:

I dont remember your previous post yet. I will check it later. like others say, first discuss with the child's father.

So far, My hearing kids, and some of my friends don't understand my kids when they try to talk to my kids. My kids are still learning ASL when i keep reminding myself not to use my voice. :roll: so I do understand my kids but my friends don't. It can happen, sometimes. it has something to do with the quality of time to spend with. :dunno:

I think it might depend on the age of the child. If they're young, they may not have the fine motor skills to make the signs as an adult would. Similar to a hearing child saying "Wan' 'nana" instead of "I want a banana". I know my niece who's still learning to talk is difficult to understand if you don't know her. As for the child not understanding you, it may be he's not used to you yet.

I'd talk with his dad to see what's up.

I'm thinking it could be the child's age also...as I've had trouble understanding kids too (deaf ones). Their mother, who was deaf also, understood them perfectly....

But, in retrospect, it could be other reasons...so until you discuss it with the child's father, then perhaps you can solve the dilemma....Could be the child is "jealous"?...hmmm, lots of reasons.

You should try to spend time getting to know the child without the father around. But only if you're really serious about this relationship. Kids don't need a revolving door of girlfriends.

I think it might depend on the age of the child. If they're young, they may not have the fine motor skills to make the signs as an adult would. Similar to a hearing child saying "Wan' 'nana" instead of "I want a banana". I know my niece who's still learning to talk is difficult to understand if you don't know her. As for the child not understanding you, it may be he's not used to you yet.

I'd talk with his dad to see what's up.

I am with you. I have a hard time understanding deaf kids because of their "sloppy" sign language.

Talked to the Father

I did talk with the child's father, he says his child's signs are sloppy and its ok to ask that the child signs slower, and clearer.
I find the more time I spend with them the more I understand
Thanks for the advice

I did talk with the child's father, he says his child's signs are sloppy and its ok to ask that the child signs slower, and clearer.
I find the more time I spend with them the more I understand
Thanks for the advice

It is just like when a young child's spoken language is difficult to understand, and parents or sibs are the only ones that know what he/she is saying.

troubleshooting barrier communication hard to tough! not easy! if you suppose communication to reason, that is not easy!

Back