Trivia or "Wow, who knew?"

Journey

Reaction score
I am one of those people that enjoys learning "trivia-type" information, things that make you go, "Hmm, I never knew that." Today I learned two things:

1. Metric is the global language of measurement and there are only 3 countries in the world that do not use the metric system ... Liberia, Myanmar and the US.
2. The pineapple is not just one fruit, it is actually a cluster of fruitlets (some call them berries) around a stalk.

What little bit of trivia have you learned recently (or maybe not-so-recently)?

Basenji dogs don't really bark, are hypoallergenic, have very little odor, and bathe like cats.

They date back to ancient Egypt, and almost disappeared with the collapse of that civilization. Luckily they were continued in Africa.

I had never heard of Basenji dogs before .. and now I have, thanks. I googled to see what they look like. They do kind of look like they belong next to a Pharaoh :).

strawberry is the only fruit with seeds on the outside -technically its not a fruit...

Thanks Grummer. I looked into it a little further and found out it is considered to be an "aggregate fruit" - A fruit, such as a raspberry or a strawberry, that consists of multiple ripened ovaries of a single flower, borne together on a common receptacle. I just learned something new :).

Did you know you don't sneeze in your sleep? But, when you do sneeze, you can send out 100,000 germs into the air at 100 miles an hour. Yikes!

now i learnt thats why hospitals are safe...they make sick people sleep, so no spreading!! ha - sorta

Wirelessly posted

What can you hold in your right hand but not in your left?

Your left elbow.

I had never heard of Basenji dogs before .. and now I have, thanks. I googled to see what they look like. They do kind of look like they belong next to a Pharaoh :).

i did think about this one but i rather dog can barks to let me know. how can basenji dog let me know if they know how to touch or tap me. it would work. :giggle:

i learnt stephen hawkins got a certain form of radiation named after him..'hawkins radiation'not clue what is though

Lobsters and crabs learn to avoid sections of an environment where they receive an electric shock, as shown in research.

That means they probably experience pain when thrown into a pot to boil alive, although it was commonly held that they did not.

Lobsters and crabs learn to avoid sections of an environment where they receive an electric shock, as shown in research.

That means they probably experience pain when thrown into a pot to boil alive, although it was commonly held that they did not.

*snif*..those poor Crabs...and we caught and boiled them every year and they fought like hell to get out of the crab pot....guessing I'm a mass murderer and a torturer....Say it ain't so!

We have a lobster boil every Mother's Day so I guess I have to join you RR in the torturer category ha! The alternative way to kill them quickly is to crack the shell and slice through the brain in one quick motion. So, messy and instant death or no mess and a few seconds of pain ... call me a meanie but I am sticking with a dunk in boiling water ;-).

that's horrible!!. Hindu's karmas says all those boiled lobster will be reincarnated as one...

*snif*..those poor Crabs...and we caught and boiled them every year and they fought like hell to get out of the crab pot....guessing I'm a mass murderer and a torturer....Say it ain't so!

murderer,now your karma well 'f' up and your chakra not looking to good either i learn hamburgers have horse meat in them

burgers made in irland...i think people liked them until found out it was horse meat,,,yet happy to eat fluffy sheep,people are strange

Back