Travel and Hearing Aid

ladyofwh

Reaction score
One of the tips that audiologist often give about taking care of hearing aid is to keep hearing aids away from heat and moisture. That said, I am wondering if weather and climate affect the life-span and the condition of the hearing aid. The reason I am asking is because I may travel abroad to Vietnam in the summer, which is hot, humid, and rainy. And there are places in the country which is incredibly dusty as well. I currently wear a digital hearing aid and may plan to bring my auditory system over there as well. I plan to talk to my audiologist about my concerns, but any advices or stories about travel, climate, and hearing aids would be helpful!

Perhaps airtaight container like those for saving foods and a bunch of those little dehumidifiers that are in med bottles, shoe boxes etc that absorb moisture (not sure what's called- silica gel??) might be of help keeping your batteries and HAs a bit more dry..?? :dunno:

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
Perhaps airtaight container like those for saving foods and a bunch of those little dehumidifiers that are in med bottles, shoe boxes etc that absorb moisture (not sure what's called- silica gel??) might be of help keeping your batteries and HAs a bit more dry..?? :dunno:

Fuzzy
Yeah, silica gel.

Pretty much take care of them like any other piece of pecision electronic gadgetry. :mrgreen:

Just make sure you don't eat the silica gel. :laugh2: ;)

A suggestion...

When I received my CI, I got a "Dry & Store" system. It uses these small bricks that absorb moisture (goes inside this nifty box about the size of a medium sized jewery box). It will work with any hearing device as HA or CI or whatever. It plugs into an electrical outlet so if going to Vietnam, you probably need a voltage converter.

The link is http://www.dryandstore.com/

Note: The one I have is what they call global.

S171Soars Do you keep your dry and store by the bed and use it every night?

Ladyofwh - I was always a naughty girl and never cared for my hearing aids the way the audiologist said I should. I've travelled quite a bit including to some fairly humid parts of Australia and haven't had any problems with my hearing aids functioning. My previous set of BTEs lasted me well over 10 years. How long will you be in Vietnam for? If it's an extended trip then yes I would do something like get a dry and store but if it's only a couple of weeks I would be surprised if your hearing aids packed up.

And enjoy your trip! I'd love to go to Vietnam.

R2D2 said:
S171Soars Do you keep your dry and store by the bed and use it every night?

Not exactly. I put it on top of my wife's dresser (she lets me). :D How often I put it in the dry & store depends on the season. We get really humid during the summer and I will do every three days or so. The other seasons I will do every five days or so or longer like during winter.

I'm going to be there for more than 8 weeks so I am thinking that yes, I may need to buy dry & store (though I am wondering from where and what kind of dry & store product). And a lot of hearing batteries. However I am trying to find a hearing centre in Vietnam just in case if anything went wrong and it's hard to find this info...By the way, sr17soars, I am a bit confused about dry & store product. Do I need to buy the dry & store global AND disposable Dry-Brik? How does that work?

ladyofwh said:
...By the way, sr17soars, I am a bit confused about dry & store product. Do I need to buy the dry & store global AND disposable Dry-Brik? How does that work?

Yes you need both. They may give you one or two when you buy the unit (don't take my word for it though). You should get a bunch anyway. It works by putting a "brick" (it is in plastic and don't unwrap it!!!) into the unit in a specific place. Then you put your HA in it and close the lid and push the center button on top. A blue light will turn on and it will do it's thing. When the blue light is off, it is done. I usually put my CI in it just before I go to bed and get it out when I wake up. They give good instructions.

A note about the brick. It will have a blue (I think) circle "spot" on it and when that fades to a "pinkish white" it is time to use another brick. Just dispose of the brick and put a new one in the unit. So, you will have to buy the bricks every so often. They aren't too expensive.

Believe me the dry & store is a great way to keep a HA or CI moisture free.

Anyway, have a nice trip to Vietnam.

my aud. told me to use either a sweat band for hearing aid and dehumidifiers which i got them both.....

sweat band is $17 a piece.
dehumidifiers $200

Back