Transgender discuss..

Mizzou

Reaction score
I called old Thread "Transexual" and it is old. I have learned about TS and it is wrong to post here. I have new word "Transgender"

What do you take that word, Transgender and what it makes you think of ?
What did you dislike about Transgender and Transseuxal ?
How much you want it to be in LGBTQI??
(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexal, Transgender, Questioning, Intersex)
Anything to add....

Please do.

I happen to be bi and am involved in GBLTQ.....when I think of word "trans" I think of "transgender" and transgender folks I know... as someone who is not trans, I feel like if "transsexual" puts emphasis only "sex" while "transgender" by nature of word, explains more about gender/gender roles and leads to questions about society and definitions. But I think if an individual wants to identify as "transsexual" that is their right to do so. I also think in some circles "transsexual" can refer purely to people who significantly cross-dress in daily life and/or as "performers" while "transgender" refers to someone who does not feel that their sex and gender "fit" for them, that they're in the wrong body and have always been, and would like to do something about it.

"Transgender" is all-encompassing whereas "transsexual" refers specifically to someone who either goes through hormone therapy and surgery to have a sex change or would ideally like to, or would at least like to live full-time as the opposite sex from the sex they were born as. That includes female-to-male (FTM) and male-to-female (MTF) transsexuals.

Transgender includes anyone who doesn't fit the traditional male/female model: cross-dressers, drag queens and drag kings, genderqueer people, butch women, effeminate men, androgynous people/androgynes, agender people, bigendered people, gender-fluid people, some intersex people, and anyone else who feels outside of the male/female system in any way.

I feel for the most part male and a bit female, somewhere between butch lesbian and FTM, so I feel out of the system but generally say I am FTM and use male pronouns for simplicity's sake. I identify as transgender.

CJB, I like that term - gender-fluid.....I find that to be really useful -

I saw a show on people who id as intersex and I learned a lot
:)

For me...

Trans-gender is male to female or female to male.
Trans-sexual is under the knife and completed male or female.

My partner is Bisexual and I am bi-gender. That means for us to be straight because I am FTM and she is straight female.

We loves to go out and support LGBT and IQ, too.

Anyone not agree ? Agree ?

Can someone care to explain what "gender-fluid" means ? I've never heard of this term before.

For me...

Trans-gender is male to female or female to male.
Trans-sexual is under the knife and completed male or female.

My partner is Bisexual and I am bi-gender. That means for us to be straight because I am FTM and she is straight female.

We loves to go out and support LGBT and IQ, too.

Anyone not agree ? Agree ?

I agree with most of what you said. There is just one tiny bit I disagree with.

"Transsexual" isn't just defined in terms of surgery because many people don't have the financial means to go through with a sex change or may not be able to because of health reasons. So the desire to have a sex change is considered enough to be transsexual.

Can someone care to explain what "gender-fluid" means ? I've never heard of this term before.

"Gender-fluid" means exactly what the word implies, that is, that someone's gender is fluid. How male or female or out of the system they feel may change depending on the day or their mood or the social context. So one day they may want to present as male, another day as female, another day as androgynous (a mix of masculine/feminine attributes).

My gender is somewhat fluid between being a butch lesbian and a full male but I usually just say I'm FTM for simplicity's sake.

CJB-
you might be right about transsexual and thank you for correction.

I have androgynous for many years and still do. I not know how I look like after have all facial hair.

"Gender-fluid" means exactly what the word implies, that is, that someone's gender is fluid. How male or female or out of the system they feel may change depending on the day or their mood or the social context. So one day they may want to present as male, another day as female, another day as androgynous (a mix of masculine/feminine attributes).

My gender is somewhat fluid between being a butch lesbian and a full male but I usually just say I'm FTM for simplicity's sake.

Thanks for explainin' to me what it means. I understand, if you are somewhat "fluid" between bein' a butch lesbian and a full male.

CJB-
you might be right about transsexual and thank you for correction.

I have androgynous for many years and still do. I not know how I look like after have all facial hair.

:wave: Mizzou ~

You mean, you are goin' to have sex-change surgery ? Please, correct me if I am wrong. Thanks. :)

:wave: Mizzou ~

You mean, you are goin' to have sex-change surgery ? Please, correct me if I am wrong. Thanks. :)

No, I am small frame and almost no boobs at all. I look like kid as boy. Now I am on horomoes for a year and half.

I not have plan for surgery. Thank you for asking

I happen to be bi and am involved in GBLTQ.....when I think of word "trans" I think of "transgender" and transgender folks I know... as someone who is not trans, I feel like if "transsexual" puts emphasis only "sex" while "transgender" by nature of word, explains more about gender/gender roles and leads to questions about society and definitions. But I think if an individual wants to identify as "transsexual" that is their right to do so. I also think in some circles "transsexual" can refer purely to people who significantly cross-dress in daily life and/or as "performers" while "transgender" refers to someone who does not feel that their sex and gender "fit" for them, that they're in the wrong body and have always been, and would like to do something about it.

Yes. Transgender and transsexual are actually 2 different concepts. And you are absolutely correct. Transexual refers to the "sex" of the individual, which is biologically determined. Transgender refers to gender roles, which are culturally determined. Transgender is a much wider and more whole being perspective.

:ty: jillio
I am very glad that trans awareness is more part of the GBLTQ community now; one of the effects of transgender concept is much more awareness in general of falsity of dichotomy of traditional gender, and more open to range of gender expression and love-

:ty: jillio
I am very glad that trans awareness is more part of the GBLTQ community now; one of the effects of transgender concept is much more awareness in general of falsity of dichotomy of traditional gender, and more open to range of gender expression and love-

You are very welcome, dogmom. You might be interested to know that there is discussion underway to remove Identity Gender Disorder from the DSM used to diagnose mental disorders. They removed homosexuality years ago. Personally, I am in favor of GID being removed, as well.

oooh, yes, I am glad to know that! :thumb: I knew that "homosexuality" has been removed for some time <finally> but did not know about trans - yay!

got a call from national GLBTQ advocacy group asking my opinion as what of 4 areas was most "important" to me for them to work on as issues if I had to choose- one choice was marriage equality, one was trans issues, one was GBLTQ &kids in school and there was another which at time I did not choose; I chose trans awareness/equality because for me, that kinda seems like it would impact all of the areas, although certainly I am for each individual item as well. And it relates to what I wrote in my "dichotomy...traditional gender" post from before. I've met some older folks who id as Queer who, don't see the need for marriage equality, believing it to be a desire to imitate a "straight" institution which for them holds no merit. I believe that is fine, too. Although I do wish that those who chose to do so could get married and enjoy same protection as straight couples.

Back