Transcription/Subtitle Services

ohmylight

Reaction score
Hey! Me and another deaf photographer purchased a 3 day workshop on photographing newborns and maternity.... problem is there are no SRT files and transcription isn't offered by CreativeLIVE... they sent back a rather cold/dry response how it's not something they offer... does anyone know of any services which might transcribe the 3 day online workshop? It's already purchased and it's very long which is hard to find friends with good will to transcribe.

9am-4pm for 3 days straight.... The plan was to ask people to transcribe one 15 minute chunk, that way it's not too much.... but all the family & friends who said they'd do it before I purchased the tutorial backed out after I bought it, so I got stuck with my "plan"

I had missed this post!! I ran into this. I ordered a continuing education course that came with 2 dvds and a workbook, no captions. I contacted the company I ordered it from and they couldn't help. The company that I bought it from was different than the company of the instructor than made it. I eventually noticed that on the back of the DVD there was a website for the guy who made it. I logged onto that and emailed them contact info, the instructor emailed me back AND attached the transcript. He warned me that it might not be exact, that this was what he was planning on saying but he may have gone off script a little here and there but it should be really damn close. Then he asked me not to share the file with anyone. WICKED nice guy!! he totally didn't have to that.

See if you can contact the people that made the dvd, not the ones you ordered it from, usually the online course companies sell for other people.

We need to get on ADA about this. they have to caption tv, and soon the internet, but the people that sell these things don't think about the fact that people in their profession may be dhh. ADA shold enforce some things. But I wonder if you have to file a suit for them to take up the case???

We have come a long ways and yet still long ways to go to cover everything for the dhh. Hope you find some people to transcribe it or the company to help. Wish I could. IMO hearing people take their hearing for granted.

I had missed this post!! I ran into this. I ordered a continuing education course that came with 2 dvds and a workbook, no captions. I contacted the company I ordered it from and they couldn't help. The company that I bought it from was different than the company of the instructor than made it. I eventually noticed that on the back of the DVD there was a website for the guy who made it. I logged onto that and emailed them contact info, the instructor emailed me back AND attached the transcript. He warned me that it might not be exact, that this was what he was planning on saying but he may have gone off script a little here and there but it should be really damn close. Then he asked me not to share the file with anyone. WICKED nice guy!! he totally didn't have to that.

See if you can contact the people that made the dvd, not the ones you ordered it from, usually the online course companies sell for other people.

I contacted CreativeLive and nothing.
I also contacted the woman who did the actual workshop and again nothing :(

It's so frustrating! I was thinking I'd allow the ASL students to use me as a guinea pig in exchange for their time haha teach them something about deaf frustrations!

We have come a long ways and yet still long ways to go to cover everything for the dhh. Hope you find some people to transcribe it or the company to help. Wish I could. IMO hearing people take their hearing for granted.

The common response from hearing people...
Oh wow! That's frustrating! It was a GREAT workshop.
Really?! Can you transcribe just a 10 minute part of the 3 day series?
Welllllllll.... I'm really busy... But that sucks for you... Wanna go do ____? (Not busy) lol

Hire someone who will make subtitles for you. Don't forget to make a contract including a deadline.

Here's the power of social media....
I posted on a FB group with newborn photographers and said I couldn't get support from CreativeLive, the person who was teaching, and the people who said they'd type it up are now making excuses, asking for help.... I didn't know the teacher (who I previously contacted and was turned down from) was in that group, CL made an apology, she's finding people to transcribe it after all the commends underneath the message I posted, and I found 3 volunteers to type up one day each (they have friends/family members who are deaf/hoh) and another HOH baby photographer in Rochester who will be benefitting from the same copy of CC!

hopefully this is one small step for Christi and one large step for all deaf mankind tehe.
Maybe CreativeLive will start captioning if enough people pester them publicly!

Here's the power of social media....
I posted on a FB group with newborn photographers and said I couldn't get support from CreativeLive, the person who was teaching, and the people who said they'd type it up are now making excuses, asking for help.... I didn't know the teacher (who I previously contacted and was turned down from) was in that group, CL made an apology, she's finding people to transcribe it after all the commends underneath the message I posted, and I found 3 volunteers to type up one day each (they have friends/family members who are deaf/hoh) and another HOH baby photographer in Rochester who will be benefitting from the same copy of CC!

hopefully this is one small step for Christi and one large step for all deaf mankind tehe.
Maybe CreativeLive will start captioning if enough people pester them publicly!
Oh, that's good news! Hopefully they will do a good job.

As for CL, the cost of any captioned video may go up due to expensive captioning. Subtube charges $1 per min so that means $60 for captioning 1 hr video.

Oh, that's good news! Hopefully they will do a good job.

As for CL, the cost of any captioned video may go up due to expensive captioning. Subtube charges $1 per min so that means $60 for captioning 1 hr video.

9am-4pm, 3 days straight.... that's an expensive caption.
The volunteers all worked for doctors offices doing transcription in the past, so I think I have faith in them!

This is a subject that brings me right to my knees. I hope you above posters all realize that you have talent when it comes to working through this sort of thing. I wish there was a hat off with a bow and flourish emoticon.

9am-4pm, 3 days straight.... that's an expensive caption.
The volunteers all worked for doctors offices doing transcription in the past, so I think I have faith in them!
3 parts 7 hr video each? That's A LOT of captions.
FZgyHt3.png
zsAInSibegTpQAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Back