Train the Trainer, Please!

I am a teacher and I have experiences in working in a public school that had a deaf/hoh program and working in a Deaf School. The needs of deaf students are very different from the needs of hearing students who have additional special needs. That's something u need to be aware of if u do ever get a case study involving a deaf student. Word of advice, if the child is oral only, dont assume that just because the child can speak well, he/she can hear everything being said in the classroom. Also, many times teachers think by sitting the deaf child in the front is the best thing..it is not cuz the child cant see the rest of the classroom and dont know what is being said behind him/her. Better to arrange the class in a circle or rectangle so all the students can see each other...that would make life for the deaf/hoh child so much easier.

Hope that helps!

Good advise, Reba.

Skywalker, as a parent of a deaf son who spent many years negotiating the public school system, I would HIGHLY recommend that you observe a classroom in session. And just for the future, deaf students are not learning disabled, and usually do not require the assistance of special ed teachers. You cannot, under any circumstances, lump deaf children into a special ed classroom with students with other disabilities and still serve them under the ADA. One of the biggest problems with mainstream settings is exactly that practice. As well, the fact that the majority of teachers and adminsistrators have no experience in educating the deaf, and therefore are completely unaware of the issues involved that are specific to deaf students. If you are working on your master's degree, I would suggest as well that you take advantage of a few classes in deaf studies and interpreting, or a class in Deaf Ed.

Hi I am going to take Reba's advice. Advice is what I need right now. I would never lump anyone into anything. I don't think I said that and if I did I am truly sorry because I don't feel or think that way. I would only work with students who have some kind of learning problem such as trouble reading at their present level and then I could modify the learning in many ways.
I have witnessed the struggles that parents go thru trying to work together with teachers and administrators. It is not always a win win situation and I feel it should always be 100%. I would love to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem. What do you see as some of the major issues surrounding trying to educate the students who are deaf?

I am a teacher and I have experiences in working in a public school that had a deaf/hoh program and working in a Deaf School. The needs of deaf students are very different from the needs of hearing students who have additional special needs. That's something u need to be aware of if u do ever get a case study involving a deaf student. Word of advice, if the child is oral only, dont assume that just because the child can speak well, he/she can hear everything being said in the classroom. Also, many times teachers think by sitting the deaf child in the front is the best thing..it is not cuz the child cant see the rest of the classroom and dont know what is being said behind him/her. Better to arrange the class in a circle or rectangle so all the students can see each other...that would make life for the deaf/hoh child so much easier.

Hope that helps!

It helps a lot thanks. I will probably be moved next year to a different school and I hope to get more experience with Kids who are deaf. I am a little intimidated by learning ASL. I failed miserably at Spanish and my teacher told me I would never be good at any languages (even English). I would love to see her again to see if she is still a mean old B*&^#.

1. In high school, the hardest classes for me was math and chem. Too many thing to remember, lol.

2. I had a good teacher for math class, she was willing to help me catch up where I got behind because of the deaf school I came from did not teach what they should have. She did a lot of one-on-one with me during lunch and free period and after/before school.

If possible, have some time with teacher outside the class is one of the best methods, not just for deaf students but for hearing students.

3. Favorite classes? I don't think I have any, they were all boring. Maybe English in high school and science in middle school.

I was in public school full time the last two years of my high school years. Before that, I was in both school for the deaf and public school. I prefer public school over deaf school any day.

What made public school better? and you said that you had a good teacher that helped you in math. Did the other teachers NOT help you? and do you think you would have had a different outlook on school if they did. stupid question strike that one WHat would you have changed to make the classes more exciting?

I am going to answer your questions ;) Oh feel welcome to AD :D

In Middle and High Schools, What were your hardest classes? and Why?

Well especially the Physical Science and Biology Science. They are giving me headaches.. The reason why they are the hardest because I actually have to understand what the teacher's theory explains the science while I could have a different theory.

What would have made them better?

Probably more picture hehe! :giggle: I learn more with the pictures than how people tell me. It's just depends..

What were your favorite classes? Why?

Photography and Pottery, also the Film Reviewer (oddly it was my English class). Reason why I like Photography and Pottery because they show my expression and how I see the world, and of course, it's the art! :) Also the film reviewer as my english class, I like it because I love to discuss about the movies, and have very good eye on the story of the movie.

Good luck with your ASL learning ;)

I love movies too. All kinds that make you think about things that you have never thought about before. I just watched the movie "The Secret Life of Words" Real sad but there were issues in there that I had not thought of or I saw it in a different light. Are you still taking classes? I am not familiar with Film Reviewer. What is that? In your Physical science classes are you able to debate with the teacher? Or does he just lecture the whole time?

*Itches my head*

258, I recommend you to teach deaf students the english because teachers didn't teach them to write the proper english stucture in deaf campus.
Deaf students learned late until they entered college to improve their writing.

*Itches my head*

258, I recommend you to teach deaf students the english because teachers didn't teach them to write the proper english stucture in deaf campus.
Deaf students learned late until they entered college to improve their writing.

Oh yes..we, teachers, teach deaf children proper English..trust me. The problem is that many of them come to school with little or no language and have to start building their expressive and receptive languages first before teaching them reading and writing.

Shel90, I came from deaf campus, and I complained so many times that I need to learn the proper english. The teachers didn't teach me and my old classmates, and we were struggling to grasp the meanings.

Of course, Deaf culture means ASL and sidekick! Deaf Student loves to chat in ASL they all hate to read books! God Bless them all children...

Shel90, I came from deaf campus, and I complained so many times that I need to learn the proper english. The teachers didn't teach me and my old classmates, and we were struggling to grasp the meanings.[/QUO

Well, I don't know what school would do something like that. I have visited so many different deaf schools and they all have a LA classes starting from kindergarden. Reading and writing are very strongly encouraged in the schools and programs that I have visited or worked at. Believe me, nobody that I have worked with believes in denying deaf children English. Maybe the school u came from is different.

Hi I am going to take Reba's advice. Advice is what I need right now. I would never lump anyone into anything. I don't think I said that and if I did I am truly sorry because I don't feel or think that way. I would only work with students who have some kind of learning problem such as trouble reading at their present level and then I could modify the learning in many ways.
I have witnessed the struggles that parents go thru trying to work together with teachers and administrators. It is not always a win win situation and I feel it should always be 100%. I would love to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem. What do you see as some of the major issues surrounding trying to educate the students who are deaf?

Not providing proper services. For instance, as shel mentioned, it is assumed in the public school system, that an HOH child that speaks well, has receptive language skills comparable to their expressive skills. Please don't ever fall into that trap. Most oral HOH still need sign terps in the classroom.

Not providing certified terps. I have personally seen situations where they will take someone not certified, straight out of a 2 year interpreting program, and stick them in the classroom. Their skills are not sufficient to interpret educational material with the assurance that the student is getting all of the information.

Assumptions that all the HOH child needs is to wear their hearing aid and sit in front of the classroom where they can see the teacher, and they will be able to speachread what they cannot hear through their aids. This is very, very wrong. The classroom does not provide an environment that is conducive to speechreading. Very, very seldom will a child be able to gain sufficient information through the use of a hearing aid alone.

Issues such as lighting and visual fields need to be addressed.

Assuming that simplifying the material will achieve the desired goal. It is often not simplification that the deaf or hh child needs, but an interpretation or rephrasing of the material that would put it into a spatial reference rather than the linear reference provided by English.

I'll stop with that so I don't appear to overwhelm you. And just so you'll know that I'm not just throwing things out at random, I have a master's degree and am currently working on my doctorate in counseling. I currently work in Instituional Equity at the university where I am enrolled providing accommodations and tracking students with disabilites. Sometimes, when you are asking for advise, it helps to know the credentials of those offering it.;)

Not providing proper services. For instance, as shel mentioned, it is assumed in the public school system, that an HOH child that speaks well, has receptive language skills comparable to their expressive skills. Please don't ever fall into that trap. Most oral HOH still need sign terps in the classroom.

Not providing certified terps. I have personally seen situations where they will take someone not certified, straight out of a 2 year interpreting program, and stick them in the classroom. Their skills are not sufficient to interpret educational material with the assurance that the student is getting all of the information.

Assumptions that all the HOH child needs is to wear their hearing aid and sit in front of the classroom where they can see the teacher, and they will be able to speachread what they cannot hear through their aids. This is very, very wrong. The classroom does not provide an environment that is conducive to speechreading. Very, very seldom will a child be able to gain sufficient information through the use of a hearing aid alone.

Assuming that simplifying the material will achieve the desired goal. It is often not simplification that the deaf or hh child needs, but an interpretation or rephrasing of the material that would put it into a spatial reference rather than the linear reference provided by English.

I'll stop with that so I don't appear to overwhelm you. And just so you'll know that I'm not just throwing things out at random, I have a master's degree and am currently working on my doctorate in counseling. I currently work in Instituional Equity at the university where I am enrolled providing accommodations and tracking students with disabilites. Sometimes, when you are asking for advise, it helps to know the credentials of those offering it.;)

I used to be a teacher's aide for a public school working in the deaf/hoh program. Oh my gosh, most of the terps signing skills were less than adequate and I could see in the class that the more complex information became so confusing for the students. Also, the regular ed teachers assumed that the terps were responsible for disciplining the children if they werent staying on task, paying attention or whatever they werent supposed to be doing and the roles got very confusing for the children so everyone ended up more frustrated. The terps roles are to interpret not act like an aide if the job description doesnt include aide duties.

I used to be a teacher's aide for a public school working in the deaf/hoh program. Oh my gosh, most of the terps signing skills were less than adequate and I could see in the class that the more complex information became so confusing for the students. Also, the regular ed teachers assumed that the terps were responsible for disciplining the children if they werent staying on task, paying attention or whatever they werent supposed to be doing and the roles got very confusing for the children so everyone ended up more frustrated. The terps roles are to interpret not act like an aide if the job description doesnt include aide duties.

I know what you mean. Before my son was transferered to a deaf school, he had a terp. In the second grade, his terp was so intrusive that he told her--"You not mommy, you not teacher!" She wanted him disciplined for smarting off to her. I told her he was right. She was there to interpret, not to direct and discipline.

I know what you mean. Before my son was transferered to a deaf school, he had a terp. In the second grade, his terp was so intrusive that he told her--"You not mommy, you not teacher!" She wanted him disciplined for smarting off to her. I told her he was right. She was there to interpret, not to direct and discipline.

At least your son knew the terp's role...many of the students at that program didnt know. It was the terps that were uncomfortable being put in that role and ended up having spats with the regular ed teachers. As a result, a lot of endless and unecessary meetings were called with the principal to solve all the conflicts. That principal had no clue how to run a deaf ed program. It was a mess and I really hope that program either improved or just stopped. These kids were not getting quality education at all. Drove me nuts cuz I would make suggestions but because I didnt have any formal education in the field of deaf education, the other staff didnt take me seriously. They should have recognized that I am deaf myself and valued my opinion regardless of what formal training I had or didnt have.

What made public school better? and you said that you had a good teacher that helped you in math. Did the other teachers NOT help you? and do you think you would have had a different outlook on school if they did. stupid question strike that one WHat would you have changed to make the classes more exciting?

Public school is better because they taught me in a normal and appropriate pace.

However, both school did have teachers that will help you if you request for one.

Just the problem I had was that other teachers (at deaf school) I had did not teach what they should have. I mean we had lessons in math for like 15 minutes then rest of 30 minutes we just...played cards. I mean come on...this is stupid. Card games does not teach you algebra, geo, etc. AND that certainly won't help you on state test nor even at college level.

Also, deaf school teachers would listen to the students, if students does not want to do homework or work hard, then they will give them less and as result of that, I suffered. Public school don't do stuff like that.

Deaf school was too easy (they set standard frakin' way too low for deaf students. It's almost like they made an excuse, just because deaf students did not have a good start, then they are doomed forever or something. I know that's not always true.)

Deaf school is always...boring because I knew I will learn nothing when I am there. Not all deaf schools are good.

I don't know how to make class exciting...I just assumed that classes aren't supposed to be that exciting after all (even college isn't that exciting lol)...However, when I remember times I was excited was when teachers (at public school and deaf school) would bring visual projects to share with the class. That is a nice break from all oral lectures.
Maybe that's one thing you can do, especially with deaf students. I would think anything visual is almost always beneficial to deaf students (teachers of deaf students please correct this if I am wrong).

Sorry for a long post. Hope this clear up things as of why I think public school was better for me than deaf school. Did I answer your questions? Let me know if I went off the course.

Shel90, I came from deaf campus, and I complained so many times that I need to learn the proper english. The teachers didn't teach me and my old classmates, and we were struggling to grasp the meanings.

Sugarpuff, What did they teach? and why do you think they wouldn't teach proper english?

At least your son knew the terp's role...many of the students at that program didnt know. It was the terps that were uncomfortable being put in that role and ended up having spats with the regular ed teachers. As a result, a lot of endless and unecessary meetings were called with the principal to solve all the conflicts. That principal had no clue how to run a deaf ed program. It was a mess and I really hope that program either improved or just stopped. These kids were not getting quality education at all. Drove me nuts cuz I would make suggestions but because I didnt have any formal education in the field of deaf education, the other staff didnt take me seriously. They should have recognized that I am deaf myself and valued my opinion regardless of what formal training I had or didnt have.

Absolutely. I encountered the same situation in the mainstream situation with my husband. And I believe the situation occurred with my son because the clasroom teacher had never had a deaf student, and expected the terp to function as an aide. And, yep, my kid has always been hard headed and out spoken!:giggle:

Wow! I am not overwhelmed. after reading what everyone has been saying I really see these things as pure frustration. I cannot imagine. WHy do you suppose this stuff has never been addressed,by our education system? Is there no one listening? or are we just to lazy to make the hard necessary changes? It's not as if we have working system. Changes need to be made across the board.

I don't know how to make class exciting...I just assumed that classes aren't supposed to be that exciting after all (even college isn't that exciting lol)...However, when I remember times I was excited was when teachers (at public school and deaf school) would bring visual projects to share with the class. That is a nice break from all oral lectures.
Maybe that's one thing you can do, especially with deaf students. I would think anything visual is almost always beneficial to deaf students (teachers of deaf students please correct this if I am wrong).

Sorry for a long post. Hope this clear up things as of why I think public school was better for me than deaf school. Did I answer your questions? Let me know if I went off the course.

You didn't go off course. What you say is great but I am sad. Don't get me wrong I hated high school and did not do well (not because I was bored but because I was stoned. I went to HS in the 70's). I just think teachers can put a little more effort into reaching the kids. WHat classes are you taking in college?

I have been reading how angry deaf people are at we who hear...and no wonder when you guys are treated like you are not there. I can under stand why there is so much hatred toward the hearing because of their ignorance and just plain meaness but why is there so much anger within the deaf community toward each other? ie CI's, ASL verses Speaking, deaf school vs public school. I can somewhat relate because i was married to a black man(divorced after 20 years). I have 3 beautiful kids who are sometimes ostracized by the black community because they are not black enough and then of course they are not always accepted into the white community because they don't look white. As a young mother I was not prepared for the racism the world had to offer my kids.

Back