Totally new to sign language!!

Cause you should never say your struggle is worse than a late deaf persons. My career is over because of mine and I have to live with my mom again cause I have nothing. So yes a struggle is a struggle. I have a traumatic brain injury that caused it so I have lots of effects that make it hard to learn a new language and some people just can't learn new languages at all.

Your present struggle is a completely different struggle than a child born deaf being required to learn an inaccessible language.

Unfortunately you seem to want to start a fight over unrelated subjects.

It is comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not comparing it I'm just saying a struggle is a struggle.

You were lucky that you had hearing before you lose your hearing being involved in the accident in the military. You were doing fine in elementary and high schools.

But for us, born deaf, we had to struggled trying to make head and tail about what the hearing teachers and hearing students were saying. We had to relied on text books but we needed to know what the teachers and students were saying so that we can learned from them. The mainstream schools refused to let us learn ASL and also refused to hire ASL interpreters in hearing classrooms. We were always get frustrated and unhappy. You have to remember we can not hear sounds very well. The hearing aids and CIs are not that good because they only give sounds like environment sounds or have static sounds. It was not clear back then. Today we are still having problem with hearing devices. Some mild hearing loss people can manage to hear well enough and probably be able to pick the words up.

Of course, when you are late deafened, you are going on a journey trying to live as a deaf or hard of hearing person which meant that you are struggling in the hearing world. If you are saying that ASL (American Sign language) is beautiful like Spanish. But then you think we don't need to learn ASL while you can learn to sign because you have good speech and can talk to hearing people. We were never allowed to sign ASL back then, ever, not even when we were infants or childhood. I did not have that until I was in my 20s when I finally learned how to sign ASL. I was so happy to sign ASL so that I can understand without a struggling.

But still it is hard to find ASL interpreters for public places like Doctors, Lawyers, or any other professional person like in the hospitals. If you have difficult not understand what hearing people say, then you need to learn ASL and hopefully you get ASL interpreters to help you understand what is going on. Without it, we are absolutely get lost. So don't say "Oh, Sign Language (Any kind) are so beautiful like painting or music." You all think that ASL is not a language at all. So I roll my eyes around at what hearing people say about ASL.

In the Deaf Culture, ASL is our primary language and we need it very badly because we can not hear and not be able to lipread clearly (guess work and only pick up some words).

I'm not saying your wrong but as a reply.

What baby is born knowing how to talk?

Do babies have to learn their language no matter where they are from?

Aren't there kids boring hearing but are mute?

Lastly...

Are all languages we learn as a child mention for us to communicate with our worlds?

If you born deaf you have to learn the language you are born in to. When a child is born and speaks Spanish then at the age of 10 moves to France then has to learn a new language just like any other they have to learn it to communicate.

I know that back in the 60s people were closed minded I guess and they didn't like different but there was Asl back then it was just harder to be accepted. 21st century you learn the language you need to know to communicate no matter what it is. If you don't no it cause it's not your first language you learn it. If your born that way you still have to learn it cause no one is born knowing how to communicate. Your born crying and people have to guess what you are crying about. And it was not lucky of me to lose my career now I have to start all over when my plan was to do 22 years in. Now I'm looking at colleges to start all over at 25.

Of course, when you are late deafened, you are going on a journey trying to live as a deaf or hard of hearing person which meant that you are struggling in the hearing world. If you are saying that ASL (American Sign language) is beautiful like Spanish. But then you think we don't need to learn ASL while you can learn to sign because you have good speech and can talk to hearing people. We were never allowed to sign ASL back then, ever, not even when we were infants or childhood. I did not have that until I was in my 20s when I finally learned how to sign ASL. I was so happy to sign ASL so that I can understand without a struggling.

But still it is hard to find ASL interpreters for public places like Doctors, Lawyers, or any other professional person like in the hospitals. If you have difficult not understand what hearing people say, then you need to learn ASL and hopefully you get ASL interpreters to help you understand what is going on. Without it, we are absolutely get lost. So don't say "Oh, Sign Language (Any kind) are so beautiful like painting or music." You all think that ASL is not a language at all. So I roll my eyes around at what hearing people say about ASL.

I've never hear a hearing person say Asl is not a language. Any form of communication not electronically is a language. Whales even have a language. That's why I keep saying it's a language that has to be learned.
I just went throughout picking a doctor and the requirement I needed was that the doctor was familiar with HoH patients or knew Asl. And there was a list of doctors who were compatible with my needs. Every part of law enforcement is required by law to provide interpreters that's why we need hearing people to want to learn it cause if they don't want to they won't. Interpreters have web site so you can find them in your area. I'm friends with someone who wants to be an interpreter cause she loves the language of Asl and wants to know more about this world. It is possible for hearing people to be involved in both worlds.

And I don't like having to concentrate so hard to understand what's being said. And yes I have a hearing aid and it don't just make it perfect like I can hear perfectly and I no the same for a CI it's not exact.

Cause you should never say your struggle is worse than a late deaf persons. My career is over because of mine and I have to live with my mom again cause I have nothing. So yes a struggle is a struggle. I have a traumatic brain injury that caused it so I have lots of effects that make it hard to learn a new language and some people just can't learn new languages at all.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I also have had multiple traumatic brain injuries both in early childhood and in a car accident as an adult. I understand what it's like to have ongoing issues in many areas after an event like that although my hearing was affected as a little kid and is worsening as an adult.

I have physical and cognitive issues after the accident and I rely on a walking frame to get from my bed to the toilet and I am unable to recognise faces and know my way around a mall that I have regularly gone to for 20 years without reading text signs.

I'm kind of in the middle of both early and late hearing loss as I was obviously not completely deafened as a child. Fwiw I underwent 6 years of speech therapy as a child to get me able to speak properly. I didn't utter a word until I was 6 years old.

If you ever need to talk to someone who understands and doesn't judge contact me on Glide.

Your present struggle is a completely different struggle than a child born deaf being required to learn an inaccessible language.

Unfortunately you seem to want to start a fight over unrelated subjects.

It is comparing apples to oranges.

It's not picking a fight I didn't start this conversation just saying my opinion like the last person did. And I don't ever compare a struggle it's all hard at the end if the day. And a deaf child is forced to learn Asl. Every child has to learn communication no matter what it is. It's not something your born to know how to do. It's the parents job to make sure their child is taught communication at any means if they are hearing with a deaf child.

Just because someone had a bad experience years ago that is not an issue these days doesn't mean those challenges are the same now in 2014 for. Child bored deaf their are plenty of suitable options now. It's like some people re bitter and down about something that has changed.

I would never say I don't like white people or black people cause of how I was teased grown up cause I was mixed and looked different and called a mutt dog when I was a kid. Why, cause times have changed and being mixed is not so different anymore it's something unique and makes me who I am same as being deaf today. It's unique it makes you who you are. Not everyone knows Asl just like English, Arabic, Japanese or any other language.

One thing that is true about people is that when something or someone is different or unfamiliar they get scared or unwilling to learn about what us different they just assume automatically it's wrong. Like autistic kid that doest talk or can't tie their shoes. People say there is something wrong with them when as history has shown most autistic people are one is the exceptionally smart people like Einstein or Darwin. My little cousins both can play piano, drums, and violin and have autism. People that have face dimples probably don't know that's a facial defect of the muscles in their cheeks. Everyone has something about them that is a defect or disability. We just learn and move one.

It's not picking a fight I didn't start this conversation just saying my opinion like the last person did. And I don't ever compare a struggle it's all hard at the end if the day. And a deaf child is forced to learn Asl. Every child has to learn communication no matter what it is. It's not something your born to know how to do. It's the parents job to make sure their child is taught communication at any means if they are hearing with a deaf child.

Just because someone had a bad experience years ago that is not an issue these days doesn't mean those challenges are the same now in 2014 for. Child bored deaf their are plenty of suitable options now. It's like some people re bitter and down about something that has changed.

I would never say I don't like white people or black people cause of how I was teased grown up cause I was mixed and looked different and called a mutt dog when I was a kid. Why, cause times have changed and being mixed is not so different anymore it's something unique and makes me who I am same as being deaf today. It's unique it makes you who you are. Not everyone knows Asl just like English, Arabic, Japanese or any other language.

One thing that is true about people is that when something or someone is different or unfamiliar they get scared or unwilling to learn about what us different they just assume automatically it's wrong. Like autistic kid that doest talk or can't tie their shoes. People say there is something wrong with them when as history has shown most autistic people are one is the exceptionally smart people like Einstein or Darwin. My little cousins both can play piano, drums, and violin and have autism. People that have face dimples probably don't know that's a facial defect of the muscles in their cheeks. Everyone has something about them that is a defect or disability. We just learn and move one.
Yes you did. In post #4, you started your nastiness because you didn't understand Bebonang when she was explaining her history.

So apparently you don't like to acknowledge your errors either.

Yes you did. In post #4, you started your nastiness because you didn't understand Bebonang when she was explaining her history.

So apparently you don't like to acknowledge your errors either.

I understood very clearly and straight forward I'm very educated and I research just about everything. I know how it was in the 60s cause I looked it up a long time ago. So I don't speak about what I do not know. I don't understand as to why have a problem with a hearing person wanting to learn a language with any obligation just doing it ones self and then make a false statement about not enough interpreters or for ex. doctors, lawyer not knowing Asl. If know one wanted to learn it then that would be a true statement.

No that was on purpose but it wasn't starting a fight. If someone is being what they are acting like it's on to call them out on it doesn't been it's starting a fight. It's being nasty to down someone else's struggle or loss or hard time and say your worse. You never know that could had been such a hard time that it was almost suicidal and by saying it doesn't compare that can push someone over the edge of feeling non importance and not mattering.

I always consider people's situations but obviously she doesn't since she attracted someone's opinion that was just excited about something that wasn't hurting anyone. Close minded ness is why people never move forward cause they dwell of the past issues.

And it is ignorance actually not idiocy sorry. And you can ask anyone the definition of ignorance and I could use her first statement as an example. There is nothing wrong with new and wanting to broadening your horizons. To understand and not down play the next but to uplift the next that might me a little more down than you. I don't see what I said is being nasty more calling it like I see it.

And obviously your not reading what I wrote and comprehending the point if each statement which is a struggle is a struggle don't down someone else's cause of your experience. Try to understand and find dilutions not point fingers and complain cause that goes no where.

Can anyone born deaf answer this.

If you were boring hearing and you learn to speak your language perfectly. You finish school get the career you always wanted or have a big family you always wanted or what ever it may be. Then you go to sleep and wake up poof no sound at all. Do you think you would take it as oh well it's ok life goes on or is it more like What the heck is this really happening and what do I do now. Does you life stay the same with you living your dream or do you have to change almost everything you knew.

Know if your boring deaf and that's all you know yes it's a struggle if you have hearing parents that are unsure how to accommodate and communicate with you but if that's all you know your not losing you life as you knew it. Not everyone struggled like everyone else depending on what time your in and where you are.

Saying you hate how hearing people say it's a beautiful language like it's a shameful or a bourdon to use Asl. I don't see being deaf or HoH as a handicap nor do I see Asl as being a forbidden language. Back then they treated that way but putting deafies in mentally challenged classes which was wrong. Know they have classes for hearing people to get certified in Asl to be interpreters like at Gallaudet and other universities.

There are things I can do now but I don't see my self as handicapped or disabled cause I can still do everything alone I just can't work the job I wanted. Yes I can speak but I can't understand verbal responses back to me so there for I'm lost lots of times. I went through my depression phase and now I just let anyone including family you have to either learn Asl or text me if not oh well.

Once again I do understand where your coming from even though I didn't experience. I would had been pissed back then and lost my cool cause all that was dead wrong. I seen the movie "And Your Name is Jonah" and I was in shocked what they were saying about Asl so my mom talked to me about it since she knew deaf people from that time.

Last edited:
Every of us have different experiences of struggling with being in the hearing world/society.

The bottom line is that I think SOME of us, included me, anytime hearing people opens their mouth..
"ohh ASL is so beautiful." It sort of irks me but. Yes, I agree it is beautiful. thank you but it is not becasue we use it because its beautiful. We use ASL which it is our language, to communciate on a a daily basis. :dunno2:

I admit that i COULD said that if i see other language, and say to italian people, "hey your language is beautiful" I BET they will roll their eyes at me. :lol:

I admit that i COULD said that if i see other language, and say to italian people, "hey your language is beautiful" I BET they will roll their eyes at me. :lol:

Actually if you go over there to Italy they call their language beautiful. I've been there a few times same goes with French people.

Every of us have different experiences of struggling with being in the hearing world/society.

The bottom line is that I think SOME of us, included me, anytime hearing people opens their mouth..
"ohh ASL is so beautiful." It sort of irks me but. Yes, I agree it is beautiful. thank you but it is not becasue we use it because its beautiful. We use ASL which it is our language, to communciate on a a daily basis. :dunno2:

yup thats thinking outside your world, and yes people need to do that more often!...and you're right , that to the outsiders we're be seen as a little bit naive...or stupid or something else ...of course , just as we do when we get riled up by stupid hearies get shocked at the fluenty of sign language....ditto...hell they'd probably thinks its a language for the voice-less, or mindless...but when THEY think,,,,like...what it means, and how come they "TALK with hands' suddenly they're dumb strucked with aw at just how languages can be anything wierd garble or hands flashing, then their SIGN LANGUAGE like street signs, symbols for hazards and such all are VERY complex when you start to study it...and do comparison over countries and you'd see how come they have DIfferent signs because they perceives a different hazards and such....or whatever
geez i rave on lol

Well I don't no anyone that think deafies or HoH people are stupid or dumb. I no people who are interested just like they are interested in Japanese too. I know they like coming around me so they can learn and want to go to the deaf events with me. I think that to have a world where hearies don't think little of the deaf world it starts with meeting and interacting with them not only in work environments. It's like they are two segregated world that looks like they don't want to coexist and just hold judgments against each other and leaving it like that. I get that a lot on this site from what I have read the last couple weeks. Everyone says the same thing about hearies but something has to change eventually for the better cause it can't be any worse. I'm happy I was born hearing so I can be in both. I'm a very diverse and adventurous. New is always fun and nice.

Back