Too many VRS Providers

I would like to add my comment. Many people are still having more babies, and they will be looking for a 2nd job. That would take away your future job. There is no law to control the population. This result is that we will need more VRS than you imagine it in the future.

We don't know what would happen in the future. There might be a very few VRS services for deaf people's needs because many foreigners always come in our country. They will need more video interpreter services that would rob our needs. Maybe, they will take away from your job. Is that scary for you to see the four walls around you again with no access like the old days?

Way to go for instilling paranoia into the people. People have been talking about those things for YEARS and such thing never really became a problem. It starts with the Irish, then the Italians, then the Indians, then the Pakistanis, then the Vietnamese, and now the Mexicans, and Eastern Europeans and Arabs. Nothing new, so you can diffuse this whole thing about "rob our needs." The same thing with "looking for a second job," this comment happen with every recession... back in the early 2000s, early 90s, late 80s to name a few. Nothing's new here.

Anyway, regarding VRS? It will take awhile to stabilise the market. Just stick with the major competitors, and you should be fine.

I am very surprised to read the Viable Company article. I think that it is a very good company for most deaf people's needs. It seems that it is going to foreclose its business. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I have trouble to believe that it is a true article.

Viable Victims Unite - Home

I agree. I have worked for several providers and each one is very drasic from the other. each VRS provider have their own reason why they are successful. At the second last VRS provider I worked for, I suggested that they should start buying other VRS'es and merge with their own like Microsoft did to own the technology and success. Look at Microsoft and yahoo. If you looked at the history of Microsoft when they first had windows 3.0 and 3.11 widely used, the been buying little companies or rights to the little itty bitty software they developed and integrated into windows making it their own and they are still number one. Microsoft owns now owns dos, making it ms-dos. They did defrag, other norton stuff and put it in windows. do i need to do on?

Imagine Sorenson and purple merged with viable? look at vp200 technology and purple MVP and text relay, purple mail, multiple vps on same public ip and viable ways of bypassing firewall issues? Can you imagine the great future when they integrate each other technologies and ideas ? I would love to combine all this for ONE person and have all these great services available for us ? I could go on and on and on- but I am going to leave this up to you guys to voice your opinions here!

I agree. we dont ned lots of vrs. We need a few good ones. Which are the best?

I believe each state should own one VRS provider and states its pay. Nationwide VRS is too expensive and FCC needs to change to save a lot of million dollars.

As to how many VRS companies there are, eventually, the market will whittle the numbers down to parity. In the meantime, watch the competition, lol.

I already explained it in my original post.

I am asking you to elaborate on it. The original post wasn't sufficient enough. The way I see it is that the Deaf population is too small to warrant running it via state-by-state communications since the population isn't the same everywhere.

I means... That would means New York, Maryland, DC, California et cetera would get all the deaf-friendly support, while other states would be woefully underfunded.

I would imagine that if the FCC stops or suspends its funds to all video relay services. I read somewhere that a videophone fee cost between 6 to 7 dollars per minute. Wow!
Sure, that's scary for all of us!

How do some VRS services able to run their service without getting the money from the FCC?

VRS agents (interpreters) receive their salary so where did the company gets the money from without the FCC?

How do some VRS services able to run their service without getting the money from the FCC?

VRS agents (interpreters) receive their salary so where did the company gets the money from without the FCC?

all vrs service are service from fcc or contract with certified vrs provider

Stick with the companies that provide the best service.

It is the American way. Companies have a right to form and do business. May the most honest, reliable and ethical VRS company survive the competition.

Be careful who you do business with, your valuable VRS time is paying that company lot's of money . I also suggest supporting an honest, ethical deaf VRS company that support the deaf community by hiring deaf people in their offices .

No glass ceiling for the deaf !!! ( meaning , no stopping deaf people from getting management positions within a company. Especially a company that makes money from the deaf community . )

Back