Toilet Seat Injuries to Little Boys Appear to Be on the Rise

Buffalo

Reaction score
I came across this and thought you might want to read this if you have a little boy.

"Parents of newly toilet-trained boys should take a few simple steps to keep their sons' penises safe when they go to the bathroom, a team of UK urologists advises.

There's evidence that crush injuries due to falling toilet seats may be on the rise, Dr. Joe Philip of Leighton Hospital in Crewe and colleagues warn in a letter in BJU (British Journal of Urology) International.

While he and his colleagues typically see just one or two such cases a year, if any, Philip told Reuters Health, they treated four different two- to four-year-old boys with penile crush injuries in the past several months.

"Thankfully all of the four had only the foreskin swelling, but obviously there's a lot of anxiety for the parents and the kids," Philip said. All of the boys were kept in the hospital overnight until they were able to urinate, but none of them suffered lasting physical damage, he added.

In each case, the youngster was trying to urinate on his own and had lifted the toilet seat, only to have it fall back down. An industry report states that wooden toilet seats are becoming more popular as a possible explanation for the increase in injuries.

Philip and his colleagues offer the following tips to help families of young boys prevent these injuries from happening:

Install "soft fall" toilet seats in every bathroom in the home, and ban heavy toilet seats made of wood or ceramic from homes with young boys.

Leave the toilet seat up at all times, until all of the boys in the household can hold the seat up on their own.

Supervise children every time they visit the bathroom.

Constant supervision can be difficult, Philip conceded, especially during holiday gatherings when a youngster may steal off on his own to demonstrate his newly-found skill. "Children want to show that they are independent," he said."

FOXNews.com - Study: Toilet Seat Injuries to Little Boys Appear to Be on the Rise - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

o.....w............

:lol:

Sorry guys!

but wouldn't

Leaving the toilet seat up, cause back injuries on little girls?

Sorry guys!

but wouldn't

Leaving the toilet seat up, cause back injuries on little girls?

lol the girls would just close it themselves so maybe it would hit on their faces? or their hands :laugh2:

lol the girls would just close it themselves so maybe it would hit on their faces? or their hands :laugh2:

:hmm:

OooKKK.

How in the hell would a little girl shut their face in the toilet seat.

enlighten me. I'm very curious.

(knowing I may be sorry for asking this of Jiro) :rofl2:

:hmm:

OooKKK.

How in the hell would a little girl shut their face in the toilet seat.

enlighten me. I'm very curious.

(knowing I may be sorry for asking this of Jiro) :rofl2:

you know how they're short and they reach out to close the toilet seat. the seat would probably hit on their faces.

you know how they're short and they reach out to close the toilet seat. the seat would probably hit on their faces.

Then it would apply to the boys, Their face would be smashed before their penis would.

:) doncha think?

Then it would apply to the boys, Their face would be smashed before their penis would.

:) doncha think?

in this pee pee case - I think they put up the seat already and then while peeing - the seat somehow fell on it..... OW!!!!

in this pee pee case - I think they put up the seat already and then while peeing - the seat somehow fell on it..... OW!!!!

well in that pee pee case... :lol:

The sad thing is (BANG)

but why did they say one of the preventions was to leave the seat up in the first post? The one that the OP posted.

(BANG)

that would make a cause...

Why is there an increase in this kind of injury? Are little boys more klutzy in this generation? How come this wasn't a problem for past generations? Or is this just a problem in England?

"An industry report states that wooden toilet seats are becoming more popular as a possible explanation for the increase in injuries."

That doesn't make sense. Wooden seats have been in common use for centuries. Or do they use something else in England?

Why is there an increase in this kind of injury? Are little boys more klutzy in this generation? How come this wasn't a problem for past generations? Or is this just a problem in England?

"An industry report states that wooden toilet seats are becoming more popular as a possible explanation for the increase in injuries."

That doesn't make sense. Wooden seats have been in common use for centuries. Or do they use something else in England?

I'm guessing that modern toilet seats nowaday are plastic. With wooden seat.... well you know - it's heavier... big ouchie.

I've also wondered about how the seat lays on the bowl. Don't the seats usually have tabs or stubs under them to keep the seats from laying directly on the bowl?

So hence, a gap in between the seat and bowl.

you know - I'm not even sure how does 2-4 years old boy injure his penis from this kind of accident cuz... well you know - the wee is pretty small for that age and I used a step stool to pee. Sounds like the toilet is low enough for boy to pee right on the edge of toilet (which is disgusting).

ah-ha.... take a look at pix below. just replace the girl with boy and you can see the height of wee wee at the same level as toilet seat. :hmm: I suppose I understand better now how a boy can injure his wee wee from this way... ouch... I guess the boy leans too close to toilet to pee.

g5232_fr.jpg

I've also wondered about how the seat lays on the bowl. Don't the seats usually have tabs or stubs under them to keep the seats from laying directly on the bowl?

So hence, a gap in between the seat and bowl.
You're right--they're plastic "bumpers".

This reminds me of an animated GIF of this happening. It was a cartoon series with this little boy going through different stuff and it was all animated.

I am potty training my 3 year old..this is a great and helpful link! Thanks for sharing this...wouldnt want that happen to my precious baby!

This reminds me of an animated GIF of this happening. It was a cartoon series with this little boy going through different stuff and it was all animated.

post it here!

It's good advice but as a child, I never had this problem and I can't recall anyone else I knew with this problem.

I would assume that the parents of these children are not ensuring that they understand the dangers of a falling toilet seat.

Back