toddlers and night terrors.

SpiceHD

Reaction score
some of you may have seen my thread few days ago where i struggled with my son trying to get him to sleep, and nothing worked. now things are back to normal and he goes to sleep through the night. so it may be a case of night terror. now my question next time when he get that... what will help him? any tips on that?

You just take him back to bed and get him back to sleep. Reassure him that everything is ok. In the morning, the child won't even remember. My 8 YO still has night terrors sometimes. It makes me upset when he gets so despondent but he never remembers it.

yea it made me upset cuz he was obviously in distress and i couldnt do anything to crease it. theres nothing else i can do? he doesnt communicate in words as yet... (he should be by now but hes not. he knows only few words but understands so much more) so only way for me to communicate with him is to show him. sometime he still do not understand. frustrating.

Yes, it's harder on the mom than the toddler. You can just hold him until he calms down. Does he have a special comfy like a blanket or a stuffed animal. You can give him that, too. Toddlers have more night terrors and they lessen as the child grows up. Hang in there! I know it's hard. You're a good mommy. :cool2:

I had night terrors when I was a child and that scared my parents out of their hearts. But what I've been told is that if the child is ever in night terror stage, you are not to wake them up, you are not to touch them, just watch them, make sure they don't harm themselves.

xavier was very awake and crying when i was trying to calm him down. he definitely knows im there and begged for my touch. (he was reaching for me)

i cannot not touch him after that lol. i think you are talking about sleepwalking where that ur not to wake them up or touch or anything. my son wasnt sleepwalking

You can snuggle up with him because he wants your touch. Let him comfort himself with you. He'll settle in and stay asleep.

Is he having terrors every night? If so, he may be in the process of making a developmental leap. Sometimes this disrupts the child's sleep. He's probably making so much progress that he can't slow down!

Back