Toddler left alone for 3 weeks!

Fly Free

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/09/30/toddler.alone.ap/index.html

Toddler survives three weeks alone on ketchup, dry pasta

Tuesday, September 30, 2003 Posted: 6:55 AM EDT (1055 GMT)

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (AP) -- A 2-year-old left alone for nearly three weeks while her mother was behind bars survived by eating mustard, ketchup, rice and raw pasta, police said.

The toddler was watching cartoons when found by her father, police said Monday. She was suffering from malnutrition and was being treated at Wolfson Children's Hospital, police said.

Dakeysha Lee, 22, was charged Monday with child abuse because she didn't let anyone know that her daughter was alone in her apartment, police said. She was jailed Sept. 10 on unrelated charges.

Ogden Lee, who is separated from the girl's mother, said he talked to her by telephone at the jail Sunday and she said their daughter was with neighbors.

When he got into the apartment, the youngster had dragged food and toys into her mother's bedroom and was lying in a baby's bathtub. She was covered with dried ketchup, Lee said.

"She grabbed me and wouldn't let go of me," Lee said. "It is really a miracle how good a shape my daughter is in. I don't know how she did it."

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

:o im appalled at the mom for NOT even telling anyone she left the toddler alone and lying to family members saying shes with neighbors while she was locked up but wow the the child is amazing and she managed to survive til her dad found her

Jeez... lucky baby! This reminds me of a case I read about recently in my psychology class... "Wild Child".

fuckers! thats pissed me off...

blessed that the child survived!

My feelings exactly MsGiglz! My stomach was about to turn when I read the article. :mad2: Thank goodness she survived!

:madfawk: That's the most sickest thing for a mother to do!! Leaving a toddler at home all by herself for three weeks. How the hell can she sleep at nights knowing her little girl is at home all by herself probably covered in urine and shit and starved and thirsty crying for mommy and daddy?

having a mother like her makes me wonder how she came to be! that mother is one SICK bitch for doing this to her little girl! GLAD that she survive yes it's a miracle and NO its not right and im glad the father got a ahold of his little girl!

Jesus christ.. i can't believe that child survived.. smart child though to feed themself.. gawd.. disgusting to hear this

GOSH!!! THAT'S SO SICKENING OF THAT BITCH! Good thing this little smart girl survived. God bless this little girl.

ChelEler said:
GOSH!!! THAT'S SO SICKENING OF THAT BITCH! Good thing this little smart girl survived. God bless this little girl.
Oh crap!! :mad: .. Thanks god! I am glad that kid is allright. I cant believe that mom left her alone. That is very WRONG! geez! I would not do that to my kids if I have kids in the future uh uh huh!! I hope she is in good and safe place now. Whew!

I was quite shocked when I saw that on the news just tonite. Damn! That really shits me that the mother didn't even bother to inform anyone about the girl being at the apartment! *smh* Mother was such a self-centred and selfish woman! :o

yeah I can't believe a 2 years old can survive on her own and the mother should be in jail for what she did she should tell some1 to take care of the child but instead she didn't so she might stay in jail for being unfit mom :o

I'm wondering why more and more mothers starting to abuse their child? any clue?

I don't think more and more people are abusing their kids. I think more people are getting caught abusing their kids. Before people would keep it to themselves but today it's different. People realize that if they do not step in, a child's life would be ruined. Also the media usually makes things seem so big when in fact it's an isolated case.

butterflygal said:
I don't think more and more people are abusing their kids. I think more people are getting caught abusing their kids. Before people would keep it to themselves but today it's different. People realize that if they do not step in, a child's life would be ruined. Also the media usually makes things seem so big when in fact it's an isolated case.

yes I have to agree with you on this one....

also Another example.. My roommate (we do have roommate because He need a place for temp. until he get a full custody of his daughter so we had "full basement with finishes as in two rooms it is a beauty basement anyway)... so He lived here for 2 yrs so far (still) and He finally got full custody of his daughter in may 2003, and is "working on getting his own place" for him and daughter now his gf is here too helping out to find place (boy, Im pulling my hairs as well for this crowd place I didn't approve but at least they know they can't stay forever so anyway)..
His daughter's mother slap her face the night before she went to school. the school called dept of social service, and the society preventation cruelty of children agency to help my roommate and his daughter. so Now he got full custody of her.. She is so much happier to be with her father.. She was never happy when she had to be in both homes.. She was long not happy for years that poor child is 11 yrs old now. She has a long long way to get back to normal which I doubt that would ever happen. I couldn't babysit that child anymore cuz She is out of control, doesn't listen, lies etc... but now I don't even want to know more because I am focus on my family only! since I'm having a baby too. so I can't worry about others except a good place for them (praying that I hope they got a good place not in bad locations etc)

Take care,
Wendy

Beside, this child (this story on the cnn not my roomate LOL) shouldn't left alone..
it is sad to see that of course angers many people to see/hear about it..
I told my husband about ths one he say oh man.. then he said no child should be left alone not even 12 yrs old. but 12 yrs old could stay alone for like at least 1 hour according to him. its law... i didn't know that one beside I am still uncomfortable leaving my kids alone hehe... my kids are still too young yikes. lol...

Wendy

Back