Today in Rotten History - May 1 (parents advisory)

Liza

Reaction score
Today in Rotten History
---------------------

May 1 1776

Adam Weishaupt founds the Bavarian Illuminati, the secret society which controls your mind as part of its plot to overthrow organized religion and control the global economy. If you don't believe it, ask yourself what novus ordo seclorum is doing on your dollar bill.

May 1 1863

The Confederate Congress decrees that captured Negro soldiers from the Union Army are to be summarily put to death, on the grounds that they have already "incited servile insurrection."

May 1 1889

The first of May is designated "International Workers Day," in commemoration of Chicago's Haymarket riots of 1886. The new holiday is actually an appropriation of the banned Beltane (Day of Fire), or May Day, traditionally celebrated by encircling a phallic maypole with delectable fertile virgins.

May 1 1942

The 215th and final hanging occurs at California's San Quentin maximum security prison. Subsequent executions utilize the facility's gas chamber, and ultimately, inmate's choice of that or lethal injection.

May 1 1945

Joseph Goebbels and his wife Magda tell their six children they are about to receive inoculation shots, but the injections actually contain poison. The parents then exit the Fuhrerbunker, where an SS man shoots them both in the back of the head.

May 1 1960

The Soviet Union fires a SAM-2 surface-to-air missile at the U-2 spy plane piloted by Francis Gary Powers. The aircraft crashes inside Russian territory, near Sverdlosk. For whatever reason, Powers opts not to swallow his suicide pill and is taken into custody.

May 1 1993

During a May Day rally, Sri Lankan president Ranasinghe Premadasa and his retinue of bodyguards are blown to bits by a Tamil Tiger suicide bomber.

May 1 1997

Sportscaster Frank Gifford is caught on video having sex with TWA flight attendant Suzen Johnson at the New York Regency Hotel. On the tape, Johnson is heard moaning: "Oh, God that's so good. Oh my, you're so big. I knew you would be -- I just knew you would be." A tabloid paid Johnson $75,000 to fornicate with Gifford, and she later goes on to pose nude in Playboy for a six-figure check.

Yesterday in Rotten History
Apr 30 1943

The body of one Major Martin washes ashore on the Spanish coastline, carrying sensitive papers detailing an upcoming Allied invasion of Sardinia. "Martin" is actually an unidentified corpse carrying forged documents, intended to misdirect Italian defense forces. When the Allies later invade Sicily, most of Italy's defenses are in Sardinia.

Apr 30 1945

Newlyweds Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun kill themselves in the charming and romantic Fuhrerbunker, ending all hope for a ten-thousand-year Reich.

Apr 30 1961

Lee Harvey Oswald, during his stay in the Soviet Union, marries hospital employee Marina Prusakova. Oswald later becomes disenchanted with Soviet life, and the couple emigrates to the United States. Even so, he never permits his wife to learn English.

Apr 30 1975

Saigon falls to the Communists, necessitating a sudden helicopter evacuation from the U.S. embassy's rooftop. Says one of the pilots: "We sent the journalists out on one of the earliest lifts because they were becoming a pain in the ass."

Apr 30 1991

Tropical cyclone Marian hits the Chittagong region of Bangladesh, killing 138,000 people and causing more than $1.5 billion in damage. Although 95% of the population heard the cyclone warning, most did not believe that a cyclone was actually on its way.

Apr 30 1993

During a quarterfinals match in Hamburg, deranged tennis fan Gunter Parche sneaks up on Monica Seles and stabs her in the back with a boning knife. Parche was just paving the way for Steffi Graf, whom he was actively stalking, to take the top ranking from Seles. His plan succeeds.

Wait there's more
Apr 29 1901

Train robber and one of the last of the Old West outlaws, Thomas "Black Jack" Ketchum is unsuccessfully hanged in Clayton, New Mexico. The executioner's poor choice of rope and Ketchum's recent increase in weight combine to produce a gruesome decapitation in the gallows.

Apr 29 1945

With Allied forces closing in on Berlin, Adolf Hitler marries Eva Braun in their fortified bunker. They will kill themselves the following day.

Apr 29 1945

The American 7th Army liberates the Dachau death camp outside of Munich.

Apr 29 1981

Marilyn Barnett publicly alleged that she had a lesbian relationship for seven years with Billie Jean King, one of America's best-known female athletes and winner of many national and international tennis championships.

Apr 29 1992

Rioting erupts in Los Angeles after Rodney King's assailants are acquitted by a jury. The looting and destruction begins in South Central L.A. and quickly radiates outward. By the time things are under control, 51 are dead and the city has sustained $1.5 billion in property damage. Civil disorder manages to spread to other North American cities, through the influence of live TV coverage.

Apr 29 1996

Search and rescue teams begin dragging Maryland's muddy Wicomico River after former CIA director William Colby is reported missing. They soon discover his partially-submerged canoe underneath a boat dock, but his body isn't located until it rises to the surface a week later.

http://dailyrotten.com/

Last edited:
Liza said:
Apr 30 1943

The body of one Major Martin washes ashore on the Spanish coastline, carrying sensitive papers detailing an upcoming Allied invasion of Sardinia. "Martin" is actually an unidentified corpse carrying forged documents, intended to misdirect Italian defense forces. When the Allies later invade Sicily, most of Italy's defenses are in Sardinia.

Shows how smart the Allies was! :D

Gatorboy00 said:
Shows how smart the Allies was! :D
I remember seeing that on the History channel once. The Germans actually thought it was real and planned an attack. What they didn't know was that the US had something else in mind. Heh!

Liza said:
Apr 29 1992

Rioting erupts in Los Angeles after Rodney King's assailants are acquitted by a jury. The looting and destruction begins in South Central L.A. and quickly radiates outward. By the time things are under control, 51 are dead and the city has sustained $1.5 billion in property damage. Civil disorder manages to spread to other North American cities, through the influence of live TV coverage.

*shuddering* I was living in L.A. at that time -- when Rodney King's assailants (white cops) all were acquitted. It was the scariest period of my life...I was never so scared in my entire life. I was holed up in my apartment just off Sunset Blvd and La Brea Blvd - one block down away from the Mann's Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Blvd.

It's interesting to know what happened on a particular day in different years. :jaw:

Another one surprised me -- the one about the stabbing incident of Monica Seles...I have the book on Seles and how that incident sidelined her and how it had emotionally and psychologically scarred her. (am currently reading that book)

Back