Today I found out why I am loosing my hearing

BrittBritt

Reaction score
I had some scans and tests ran and I have something ed otosclerosis. My bones aren't right inside my ears. It is more common w women after they've had children, it is hereditary they think, and it is degenerative. It causes dizziness, ringing in the ear, and, of course, hearing loss. They said there is a surgery that mightbe able to help me , but it can hae bad side effect . I was in my late 20s when Irealized that I was loosing my hearing. I am now only 32 and it has gotten significantly worse ina few short years . They said that it can lead to total deafness. I scheduled an appointment to see a surgeon just to learn about the surgery and take it from there.

Is that a good or bad thing for you?

Sorry, I'm a little dumbstruck because everyone here seems to have some kind of problems.

Is that a good or bad thing for you?

Sorry, I'm a little dumbstruck because everyone here seems to have some kind of problems.

I'm a little confused by "problems". I mean, I think having some answers is a good thing. If you mean having a bone disease is the problem, then yes, probably a lot of people on a deaf forum have problems similar to this.

You mean having the stapes replaced by titanium?

What do you think is the bad effect?

Surgery on otosclerosis has a high success rate if it isn't left too long.

But over all this is good news for me because, honestly, having perfect hearing my entire life, then suddenly losing it in adulthood has been scary. Now that I've accepted it, it's gotten a little easier because I am trying to make some friends who are also hoh or deaf, and I also learned asl. But when it first started happening, I felt scared and lonely a lot because no one in my life understood what was happening to me. And to have no explanation as to why this was happening to me made me feel pretty helpless. Knowing and accepting it makes it easier for me.

You mean having the stapes replaced by titanium?

What do you think is the bad effect?

Surgery on otosclerosis has a high success rate if it isn't left too long.

I'm going to meet w the surgeon, but my doctor said I could lose a lot of speech recognition, and also that it often doesn't have lasting effects, or maybe not workat all .

Wirelessly posted

Britt britt. My stepfather had this surgery done and it was very sucessful. He really hasn't had any complants since and hears very well.

I have otosclerosis, but it's too far gone for a stapedectomy. My aunt had one ages ago, my momhad one last November. No offense but your doctor is whacked and doesn't know what he's talking about. Do it, you'll be fine. One thing, if you have the surgery in the early stages it might progress more and you'd have to have it done again. But it sounds like that might not be a prob for you.

Knowing and accepting it makes it easier for me.

That is a pretty good attitude you have. Many hearing people don't feel that way, and remain angry for a long time.

If you decide to have procedures done, and get some of your hearing back, you will most likely look at life in a different light.

I've been deaf a long time and still have trouble accepting it. Good luck with the surgery.

Back