To Learn and Speak for Reasons

KarissaMann05

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Some of you guys, AD members, may know about my choice. Personally, I want to know how to listen and speak for three reasons.

1. I am going to be 24 this summer, so I begin to think I might need to learn how to speak and listen for my future kids. Cos I don't think I will have Deaf or HOH children since my family is strong hearing people. I only have one elder Deaf woman who is my great-grandaunt in my mother's family. So I feel it will be easier to teach my future kids to learn how to talk and sign as Bi-Bi kids if I learn how to listen and speak.

2. It could improve my grammer and reading better by practicing my wants. Cos I want to try something to improve my skills better since I only practiced in different ways without using my ears and my talking. I thought why not to try something else?

3. It could help my communication a little easier than before. Speaking and listening make my life easier? Doubtful. I feel hearing people are more likely expecting me to talk and listen so well. I definitely would hate it. I'm more likely I will miss some conservations so learning both speak & listen wouldn't effect me greatly. It is probably similar to late-deafen people's and orally people's experiences, I think. Still, it won't hurt to try communicating with hearing people. I'm sure there are some positive effects for me, too. :)

Okay... I already asked friends on the Facebook for opinions, and they didn't think it is an offensive for learning how to speak and listen. That's good. I'm happy to know their comments. Yet... interestingly, at outside of the Internet, the Deaf people told me that would be offensive to the Deaf community. I simply told them that I'm sorry if it is "rude" and it's still reasonable choice is mine. So I told them I didn't want to fight with them and we should move on now. We changed the subject...

So, I wonder -- if I learn how to speak and listen, then I'm not culturally Deaf anymore but I'm now Deaf. Right? Am I still part of the Deaf community? No?

I just want to understand both sides from you guys, that's all...

Back