To Implant or Not to Implant? That is my question . . .

Do you agree or disagree with the Cochlear Implant issue?

• I am Deaf/HOH, and do not like the idea of a CI.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I am Deaf, and have considered the idea of a CI.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I am Deaf, and I have a CI.

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • I am hearing, and I know someone who has a CI.

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters
Thanks! :) I thought so too. I just want to make sure if I am not missing anything on this argument.

I read the link. When the mother stated the deaf people she was learning from found out they had decided to implant their daughter that those people decided to no longer talk to her. You from some reason decided it was the mothers fault and took her to task about how she presented the information.

First no where did she say that she no longer wanted contact with those she knew in the deaf community. So in this case I would say that the people in the deaf community were anti-ci and since the child was getting one no longer wanted to include her or her family in their deaf community.

So yeah I can see why they may sound irate.

I read the link. When the mother stated the deaf people she was learning from found out they had decided to implant their daughter that those people decided to no longer talk to her. You from some reason decided it was the mothers fault and took her to task about how she presented the information.

First no where did she say that she no longer wanted contact with those she knew in the deaf community. So in this case I would say that the people in the deaf community were anti-ci and since the child was getting one no longer wanted to include her or her family in their deaf community.

Could it perhaps hinge on the way the mother presented the decision to implant the child to the deaf community?

Could it perhaps hinge on the way the mother presented the decision to implant the child to the deaf community?

Doesn't really matter how the mother presents the decisioin, just a simple statement is all that is owed to friends or in this case deaf individuals whom they had been speaking to. They 'were' attempting to expose their child to people who sign. If the deaf community really cares about these kids as deaf kids (who have the oppertunity to hear) then they are going to have to also step up to the plate and swallow their dislike of the devices and continue to include the families, It is NOT up to them to make the decision, and many have no experience with the devices. If they continue to stop speaking to the families then yes the families are going to say the heck with trying to give their kids with CI's exposure to the deaf culture.

Doesn't really matter how the mother presents the decisioin, just a simple statement is all that is owed to friends or in this case deaf individuals whom they had been speaking to. They 'were' attempting to expose their child to people who sign. If the deaf community really cares about these kids as deaf kids (who have the oppertunity to hear) then they are going to have to also step up to the plate and swallow their dislike of the devices and continue to include the families, It is NOT up to them to make the decision, and many have no experience with the devices. If they continue to stop speaking to the families then yes the families are going to say the heck with trying to give their kids with CI's exposure to the deaf culture.

I agree with you in philosophy, and yes, all that is needed is a simple statement regarding the decision. Unfortunately, many people do not stop with simply a statement saying, "We have decided to implant" but go on to try and justify the decision to the Deaf community. In the process, they can come out with some very insulting statements in their attempts to justify.

I don't know that it happened in this case, but I have seen and heard numerous statements of that nature. I only asked if it was possible that such could have occurred in this instance. In which case, perhaps the response would be seen as more appropriate.

I understand.

It is seen like she might said something wrong that might offend deaf people that she knew. I am concerned about the way she treats deaf people because her daughter's future is depending on it. Maybe these deaf people that she knows are not right people for her and her daughter... The point is that she is not clear with what happened. At the end of the discussion, she changed her stories which led me skeptical about her situation with deaf people. That's why I decided to end the dicussion since I felt that she haven't been honest of what happened and some people attacked me by said that I attacked her which I am not really attack her... Just being blunt with her.

I am not surprised if these deaf people were anti-cochlear implant people. I don't blame them since they're entitled to their opinions. I used to be one of them when I was young. Now I don't because I have cochlear implant too. LOL!

I agree with you in philosophy, and yes, all that is needed is a simple statement regarding the decision. Unfortunately, many people do not stop with simply a statement saying, "We have decided to implant" but go on to try and justify the decision to the Deaf community. In the process, they can come out with some very insulting statements in their attempts to justify.

I don't know that it happened in this case, but I have seen and heard numerous statements of that nature. I only asked if it was possible that such could have occurred in this instance. In which case, perhaps the response would be seen as more appropriate.

I agree. I heard that stories pretty often but different reasons. This time she haven't been honest with what is really happened since she changed her stories recently. I don't know what to believe in anymore.

I agree. I heard that stories pretty often but different reasons. This time she haven't been honest with what is really happened since she changed her stories recently. I don't know what to believe in anymore.

Most people who change their stories are trying to keep something hidden, or have forgotten what lie they told in the first place and end up contradicting themselves.

Just curious...am I the only one who has no desire to hear better? Am I weird for not being interested in improving my hearing capabilities? I couldnt care less if scientists come up with better technology or cure for improving hearing losses.

I guess maybe I feel that way cuz I am doing fine in both worlds now?

No, I don't have any desire to be hearing either. In fact I think I am much better off now I am profoundly deaf. When I was HOH people expected me to communicate orally with hearing aids. Now they have no choice but to communicate manually as I don't lip read.

I have bilateral CI. I can not justify my choice to anyone. It is a personal choice. I have to say I am much happy now then before surgery. And yes if my child was HOH or deaf, yes I would implant without question.

I understand where you are coming from. :)

No, I don't have any desire to be hearing either. In fact I think I am much better off now I am profoundly deaf. When I was HOH people expected me to communicate orally with hearing aids. Now they have no choice but to communicate manually as I don't lip read.

That is a really interesting point, I have been thinking how it must be easier in the long run for me just to go completley deaf, then to be be in the middle like this. And since I don't have my HA's yet, it is even harder, and I get so frustrated at people. Sometimes I wish I just had all classes that were taught in ASL, at least then I don't need to hear what they are saying, and have everyone else expecting me to hear. I would just for once like to see someone else who can hear, be stuck in an ASL class and see how frustrating it is when you don't/can't understand. :(

Back