To give or not to give?

traciedowell

Reaction score
I was inspired by the other post so I am creating this thread.

The question is: If you saw a homeless person that was clearly emaciated, would you give them money for food?

About a month ago, I was in Baltimore city on my way to Johns Hopkins to visit my son. I was about a block away from JHH and an older woman came knocking on my window.

I had JUST gone to the ATM and gotten out a $10 bill for the parking garage BUT I had a leap of faith and gave her my $10 bill. For some reason, I had a feeling that I would get that money back.

I went ahead and visited my son but the whole time I was thinking about how I was going to pay for parking because now I had no money on me.

As I was walking towards the parking garage, I actually almost stepped on some money. I picked it up and counted it and it was $9! At first I thought "I better turn this in" but I looked around and noone was there. The security people would've just kept it (yes I know that for a fact) so I took it as divine intervention and thanked God for it. I paid my parking and had a couple bucks left over.

What a great thing, huh? I'm glad I did it and I would do it again.

Always thought better to give fast food gift cards since too often cash will be used for alcohol. Like to help but not contribute to problem.

The question is: If you saw a homeless person that was clearly emaciated, would you give them money for food?

If that homeless person was clearly emaciated, I would give them something to eat (if I had any food on me) but however, I wouldn't give them the money because this is a total stranger and how would I know if they are using it for something else (ie; drugs, alcohol, so and on)?

Sure, It'd be a nice thing to do to help the homeless people but over the years, there has been abuse towards the help that people have been giving to them. I know not all of them are like that but some are.

If they are really in dire need of food, I'd make sure they get the food and some small necessities for their personal hygienes. If they are at the point to beg for the money and they're not wanting food or any other small stuffs for their personal hygienies, It'd be obvious that they are into money for some other reasons.

My brother and his friends did an experiement one time with a homeless guy who hung out by Gallaudet all the time begging the students for money. They gave him $20 and told him to buy food on them. Then, my brother and his friends pretended to leave but they went around the corner and watched the guy to see what he would do with the money. Sure enough, the guy went to a nearby liquor store and got alcohol. Oh boy...

Better to give food or a gift card to a food store.

I have given money to homeless people and always wondered if they used the money for drugs or alcohol.

Someone told me that it is always better to give money to the charities or organizations that provide food and shelter for the homeless.

I wouldn't give a homeless person food. I would just buy them food instead.

My brother and his friends did an experiement one time with a homeless guy who hung out by Gallaudet all the time begging the students for money. They gave him $20 and told him to buy food on them. Then, my brother and his friends pretended to leave but they went around the corner and watched the guy to see what he would do with the money. Sure enough, the guy went to a nearby liquor store and got alcohol. Oh boy...

I have given money to homeless people and always wondered if they used the money for drugs or alcohol.

Someone told me that it is always better to give money to the charities or organizations that provide food and shelter for the homeless.

Yep, I agree. When you donate to the charity, you know that your money is actually going to provide food and shelter. I, personally, would provide them with the address and phone number to the homeless shelter.

But what if you don't have time to give them food? What if you don't have a food gift card with you?

Oprah said once that when you give to someone, you have to let go the attachment to it and just know that you did the right thing, no matter what the end result is.

I agree that most homeless people are probably alcoholics but something struck me about this woman. I don't know what exactly but I felt it so deep in my heart to give her all I had with me. If I had more money, I probably would've given it to her.

I'm not usually like that either. I have always turned homeless people down in the past. It was the first time for me and I'm glad I did it.

Glad that worked out for you...yes it happeens like that sometimes.
My own view is I will never give anyone money who knocks on my windows.....it is stepping over the line. Trapping you in your car. Tehre are rules agaisnt it....and you can't step into someones path to panhandle. Knocking on car window is bloccking your ability to move past. It is all systematic harrasment. They ask nicely without impeding my path not stepping over the line I might give....depends how I'm doing financially.
The fact you were hit on right after the ATM means they were staking out the ATM machine. Systematic means they do it on a regular basis....DRUGS a regular basis. Emaciated from solely hungry they can find food and/or help.
One thing is if they step over the line and you give then they will not learn to panhandle with decency.

Originally Posted by shel90 said:

jillio said:

Yep, I agree. When you donate to the charity, you know that your money is actually going to provide food and shelter. I, personally, would provide them with the address and phone number to the homeless shelter.

I have to disagree with you about the charity. Many owners of a charity business keep 80 percent money in their pocket. I met the owner and he is so wealthy. He talked about his charity for poor African people in Africa. That's the way he runs his business for money.

Two years ago, I gave him 10 bucks for his needs. Later, I saw him carrying a brown paper bag with a bottle. Gee. I learned my lesson. I think I agreed with VamPyroX's idea.

I use to live in Baltimore,I have gave money to homeless people and the sad thing about it that most of them would buy beer or wine.How do I know this,after giving them money I would watch where they went and it was at the bar.So I stop giving money, but I did donate at the soup pantries. :(

I used to give them a couple dollars, without knowing what they really did with the money, if they brought hard liquid or not, so I stopped doing that. I like to help people, but I don't want to be the one helping some homeless people turn into alcoholics. So if I happen to see them again, I won't give them cash, I will stop somewhere and buy them food. ;)

At another time a friend of mine and I were eating at a restaurant in Cleveland, the spaghetti warehouse, I saw a homeless person just sitting by the corner of a pole outside in the rain. I couldn't stop thinking about how cold and hungry this guy must be, so I ordered a spaghetti dinner to-go for this guy. I walked outside and gave this homeless person a spaghetti dinner box included an umbrella, he looked up at me and said "God Bless you". ;)

But what if you don't have time to give them food? What if you don't have a food gift card with you?

Oprah said once that when you give to someone, you have to let go the attachment to it and just know that you did the right thing, no matter what the end result is.

I agree that most homeless people are probably alcoholics but something struck me about this woman. I don't know what exactly but I felt it so deep in my heart to give her all I had with me. If I had more money, I probably would've given it to her.

I'm not usually like that either. I have always turned homeless people down in the past. It was the first time for me and I'm glad I did it.

Most homeless people are NOT alcoholics. Nor are most homeless people drug addicts. While there are a percentage of both int he homeless population, the majority are neither.

I have to disagree with you about the charity. Many owners of a charity business keep 80 percent money in their pocket. I met the owner and he is so wealthy. He talked about his charity for poor African people in Africa. That's the way he runs his business for money.

Two years ago, I gave him 10 bucks for his needs. Later, I saw him carrying a brown paper bag with a bottle. Gee. I learned my lesson. I think I agreed with VamPyroX's idea.

I happen to work for an organization that provides shelter to both victims of domestic violence and homeless women and children. Likewise, we are first responders to rape crisis calls when a victim is brought into the hospital. We provide counseling free of charge to victims of rape and domestic violence, and support services to victims of homelessness in order that they get back on their feet. We provide legal advocacy for those victims that are going through the legal system. And we survive on donations....donations of food, clothing, and money. Grants barely cover our expenses. So you cannot put all charities into the same category.

I happen to work for an organization that provides shelter to both victims of domestic violence and homeless women and children. Likewise, we are first responders to rape crisis calls when a victim is brought into the hospital. We provide counseling free of charge to victims of rape and domestic violence, and support services to victims of homelessness in order that they get back on their feet. We provide legal advocacy for those victims that are going through the legal system. And we survive on donations....donations of food, clothing, and money. Grants barely cover our expenses. So you cannot put all charities into the same category.

Oh I see. That's interesting. Thanks for telling me your story.

Nope I was at the ATM near my home in Bel Air which is far from Baltimore City.

Oooops my bad on the ATM.
No offense, but Oprah does not live in the real world.... she can afford to think differrently.....truth is sometimes we don't do them any favors feeding an alchoholic existence. It is NOT always the right thing to do. There are many addicts just trying to get a fix.....the term 'enabling' comes to mind.

Back