To deaf Canadians

Prime Boss

Reaction score
I have a question: Do I have to speak Canadian sign language up there? Because I'm thinking of move up there. It's so beautiful country, but I don't plan to live there for long.

I have a question: Do I have to speak Canadian sign language up there? Because I'm thinking of move up there. It's so beautiful country, but I don't plan to live there for long.

I thought you just moved into a new and nice apt. in N.C.?....

We use ASL, unless you move to Quebec in which case it is LSQ. We also have ISL and another one that I can't remember but we mostly use ASL.

We use ASL here in the English-speaking parts of the country; LSQ in Quebec (pramarily French-speaking.)

Supposedly there is Maritime Sign Language in Newfoundland, which is based on BSL, but from what I know... it's a dying language.

No, we do not have Canadian sign language. Here in Ontario, we have ASL and LSQ. For me, I use ASL a lot with my Deaf native friends who use ASL all the time and at the Deaf event. No problem with that. If you want to move here, make sure you get your permanent resident card or a work visa. If you want to be a full Canadian citizen, you will have to wait three years after the permanent resident card. What is the purpose why you want to move up here Q. Good luck. :thumb: My typo is off the letters and I could not get a question mark on it. I do not know how to do that. :scratch:

I have had met many Canadians and befriended them. Out of all of them, only one signed LSQ..the rest signed in ASL.

I really want to learn LSQ. I have a few ASL/LSQ bilingual friends. I love that they barely use fingerspelling in LSQ. I have one client that I work with and I can't fingerspell with her. It is a challenge, but I love it! It is good for me, I tend to fall back on fingerspelling instead of lots of classifiers, however since working with her I have changed a lot!

Sorry...:topic:

No, we do not have Canadian sign language. Here in Ontario, we have ASL and LSQ. For me, I use ASL a lot with my Deaf native friends who use ASL all the time and at the Deaf event. No problem with that. If you want to move here, make sure you get your permanent resident card or a work visa. If you want to be a full Canadian citizen, you will have to wait three years after the permanent resident card. What is the purpose why you want to move up here Q. Good luck. :thumb: My typo is off the letters and I could not get a question mark on it. I do not know how to do that. :scratch:

No. I don't want to be a full Canadian citizen. I just want to experience the beautiful country of Canada, that's all what I wants to do before returning here in United States of America. America will be remain my home country.

No. I don't want to be a full Canadian citizen. I just want to experience the beautiful country of Canada, that's all what I wants to do before returning here in United States of America. America will be remain my home country.

:ty: That really answer my question. If you want to move for a while or visit Canada, then you are welcome to visit here. Just don`t forget your passport which it is now official without the birth certificate. Natives used Status cards to go across the border but sometimes we could not get across because we are expected to have passports like every citizens. Band offices are working to get the border guards and governments to respected and okayed us for using the Status cards instead of passports. I hope my English sentence are okay as I do not make good sentences. Enough of the rant.

Good luck on coming aboard in Canada. :wave:

Back