Tips on building confidence on the phone with a CI

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I just thought I'd start this thread about using the phone with the CI. Before I get into this I'll first state the obvious and that is the fact that not everyone will be able to hear over the phone with their CI. So there's no need for this thread to be about that matter. We all know that we're all individuals and will have individual results.

Having said that. As I read around the various threads here on AD about using the phone with the CI I also think that many that say they can't use the phone probably could to some degree. Even if just enough to call home from the store to see if you need milk. What stops many people is a matter of confidence. The phone is a very scary thing. Basically if you can hear well enough to understand speech in person then you'll likely be able to hear on the phone too. I'm not saying it'll be easy and it will take some work. But it is possible to hear almost as much over the phone as you can hear someone talking in person.

As a professional entertainer myself I know what stage freight feels like and I had the exact same feeling when it came to making a phone call. But like the stage freight I experiences many years ago I learned to deal with it and went on to perform on stage in front of hundreds of people. ON TV in front of thousands of people. And I used the exact same process to work through my fear of using the phone.

The answer is really pretty simple. You've just got to practice. Knowing that to do is the easy part though. The hard part is actually doing it. So that's what I want this thread to be about. A place we can find and share tips on gaining that confidence and ways we can practice using the phone. So I'll get started by sharing some of the things I found helpful.

First of all you need a phone that works well for you. So when possible test them out before you buy them.

I personally like to use the t-coil on my N5 processor. Mainly because I can cancel out background noise. It also allows me to hold the phone to a more natural position against my ear.

My absolute favorite way to use the phone is to connect it to my processor with the personal listening cable. I can hear over the phone so much better with this on. When searching for a phone make sure you can plug headphones into the phone and still use the phone on the microphone. Some phones don't have this ability. In other words if you plug the cable into the phone the microphone on the phone stops working. So make sure you phone microphone will still work when it's plugged in. So what I do is I plug it in and can hear them. Then I hold the phone in front of my face like a walkie talkie and speak into the phone that way.

If you're phone has multi tasking (Which means you could open more then one thing such as open a web browser at the same time you are in a phone call). Then you can use a web captel service as a back up. If you can hear it, just read it on your screen.

Now, once you're ready you can first call "Telephone with Confidence". It's a free number to listen over the phone. For information about that go here:
Telephone with Confidence

Here's how it works. You call this toll free number. It'll instruct you to listen to either a list of words of a short story. You can also read what's being said to make it easier to fallow along. I'd call this a couple of times a day. At first I could only pick up a word here and there. As time went on I could understand more and more of it. To the point where I no longer need to read along.

Next find someone to make short phone calls with. A friend of a family member. Just explain to them that you need to practice using the phone and might call them from time to time. With mobile phones you can text them before to make sure they aren't busy. If you can't hear what they are saying just send them a text to say, "We'll try again later".

Make short phone calls when you need to ask someone a simple question. Like when at the store call and see if they need you to get anything. Have a question and know someone who might know the answer. Call them. Challenge yourself. These are people you know so they'll understand how hard it must be for you. Trust me, they'll likely be as nervous about it as you are. Some of my friends found it so strange to be talking to me on the phone they couldn't think of what to say. But at the same time they where thrilled that I called them.

Once you can make these short calls with relative confidence. Build up the courage to call someone just to say hello. Just tell them "I was feeling a little more confident on the phone and wanted to challenge myself. So I thought I'd call to say hi". Or something like that.

I know it takes courage. I know it's hard to talk to someone who isn't face to face with you. You fear you're not going to be able to hear what they say. you fear you'll embarrass yourself. Guess what. Those things might happen. So what. Just laugh it off and try again. Trust me, the people who know you where deaf and could even hear a word they say at all over the phone will be impressed. Some might even get emotional.

My first phone call like this was so amazing. My friend kept saying "I can't believe I'm talking on the phone with Ron Jaxon". LOL

So keep trying. Don't give into the fear. Push through it.

Ron Jaxon

It's excellent that the US have the telephone confidence scheme, I can't see one for the UK or in other countries. It would be really good for us to use something similar to that.

That's to bad.

I talked to someone else who couldn't use it either and they shared an interesting solution. They used some kind of phone answering machine and recorded things to listen to. For example a recording of someone reading a short story. Then they would call and listen to it over the phone. I haven't tried it but I just thought I'd share.

Ron Jaxon

Ron,

You have given excellent advice and suggestions to those who struggle with phone calls. There aren't many with a CI that are truly comfortable with using phones especially on a everyday basis.

I didn't realize right at first that this was such an issue for others. I mean I was using the phone easily day two and had my first real long conversation with my brother on day four. Heck, I had it so good that I had to tell my boss that I could be added to the helpdesk rotation.

So, I would encourage others to keep plugging along and maybe they will be able to use a phone lightly or even moderately.

Having a new Implant-just 3 years ago-tested whether I can use it now on the "regular" phone. No luck-just hear the dial tone-not people speaking. No problem just continue using my Ultra Tec 1140 VCO/Text TTY phone. I have had it since January 1996. A footnote: here in Toronto Sunnybrook group- most can't use their phone either. Just continue accessing the Relay service-711.

If you want to build up your listening skills with different voices and accent, I find this :

radio show helpful because they have live captioning. You will have to play on the radio and watch the captioning at the same time. The New Toginet Radio - That Keith Wann Show Cultural Bridges

it is more helpful if you use a headphone adapter made for your processor . it is like a headphone but because we can't use the headphone properly, we just plug in the adapter to our processor.

Back