tinnitus theory?

cdmeggers

Reaction score
Today, I was talking to my good good friend (who is deaf herself with hearing aids, and amazingly enough, was the interpreter for deaf students for so many years!)... We were talking of random things, since we were bored and we always like to talk when I stop by the library.

Anyway, we got to talking about tinnitus. I wasn't wearing my hearing aid due to a zit or sore that's in the ear, but right on the edge (not OUTSIDE the ear, but not INSIDE the ear, just on the edge right above the ear lobe, if that makes any sense), something that's been bugging me for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, I signed to her that my ear was ringing away, and we just got to talking about the tinnitus. It's been said that when one has tinnitus, it means their hearing is damaged or diminishing or something like that, right? Well, I thought, "That cannot be the case with me... with all this constant tinnitus that I've had for years, you'd think I'd be completely deaf by now!"

Hmm... what if... it's just my brain causing the tinnitus just to make up for the lack of noise? Normally, I wear my hearing aid everyday, usually from the time I get up (or have to leave for work, I like to sleep in late) until I go to bed. Well, I've been trying to keep my hearing aid off as much as possible because of the zit/sore, since the earmold just irritates it even more. I just thought, maybe my brain is so used to hearing things all day, that when I don't wear my hearing aid for some time during the day, it starts making noise to make up for it? I don't know.

Just a thought, and my friend actually liked the theory. It makes sense to me. I've experienced tinnitus for YEARS and YEARS, ever since I was a little kid (I remember sitting in the sound booth when I was going through a hearing test, and I was never sure if I heard the beep or if it was just the tinnitus... since it seems like my tinnitus likes to act up when I'm in the sound booth). And if I don't wear my hearing aid, the tinnitus is there and it's constant. Sometimes it's loud, sometimes quiet, sometimes the same pitch, sometimes different pitches, and I can't do anything about it unless I put my hearing aid back on and MAKE SOME NOISE!

Tinnitus is often a by product of progressive hearing loss. I've heard that theory before (that the brain creates tinnitus as a survival strategy to keep the auditory nerve in good working order) and while they cannot prove it either way yet, it makes sense to me too. It has been observed clinically that the perception of tinnitus gets worse in quiet environments.

Ever since I got my CI, the tinnitus has improved a lot. And I suspect that it's because my brain is receiving the sound stimuli that it was used to with hearing aids. Of course, I don't know that for sure.

Yeah, I heard this theory before. I'm neutral about it.

Since I had my CI, I no longer have any tinnitus. Loving every minute of the "quiet".

I get intermitten tinnitus in both ears it doesn't really bother me as it is like taking a hearing test I hear a high pitched ring but not real loud. I have mild hearing loss. It is hard to hear conversations going on around me but high pitched sounds like whistling oh that is too loud and bothers me a great deal. I do think tinnitis is due to damage but a lot of people have it and don't go deaf. I think old age will make me deaf when the time comes before tinnitus does.

It makes sense..but I know people who have perfect hearing and they have tinnitus...so what about them?

I have no significant hearing loss (sometimes I need to ask someone to repeat something, but maybe once a week) and I have the ringing in my ears. I have found out that my ringing is coming from grinding my teeth and clenching in the night. It was diagnosed as Tinnitus but can be cured if I get a bite gaurd for when I sleep. So therefore not tinnitus

I have tinnitus everytime i don't wear any hearing aids. I have been having that issue ever since i was a toddler. I just got used to it and appreciate that I am able to hear some. I just don't let it bother me at all.

cdmeggers - wow, you sound just like me.
I, too, have been suffering from tinnitus as well. It's so severe that it causes migraines for me. I do wear my hearing aids, and the tinnitus is bugging the heck outta me. Having migraines doesn't help either. Luckily I haven't had a migraine attack in a while. The tinnitus are either in my left ear or my right, but seems to favor my right. I have been checking out American tinnitus Association. The majority of the treatment consists of listening to masking noises (I assume they sound like the "Sleep" white thingy that sounds like "Shhhhhhhhhhhh" whatever that's called). And obviously this won't help for me...even though I can hear very well with my aids.

I HATE hearing tests because every time I go in the sound booth, all I hear is HUMMING noise, and it sounds very loud, even with my hearing aids off. The very first beep, causes tinnitus for the rest of the test. It's so annoying.

I went to ENT doctor and he was very puzzled at what could be the reason of my tinnitus. He concluded that there may be a chance that my digital hearing aids are overly amplified. That is a possibility. However, at times I can't hear much of anything, even if the volume is all the way up, and other times people are so loud that I have to turn it all the way down, or heck even off.

I'm seriously considering of getting CI. A lot of my friends have it, so I've been asking them questions. Of course, my biggest fear is "Will it work?"

Let me know how you did with your CI Candidacy test.

I, too, have been suffering from tinnitus as well. It's so severe that it causes migraines for me. I do wear my hearing aids, and the tinnitus is bugging the heck outta me. Having migraines doesn't help either. Luckily I haven't had a migraine attack in a while. The tinnitus are either in my left ear or my right, but seems to favor my right. I have been checking out American tinnitus Association. The majority of the treatment consists of listening to masking noises (I assume they sound like the "Sleep" white thingy that sounds like "Shhhhhhhhhhhh" whatever that's called). And obviously this won't help for me...even though I can hear very well with my aids.

I HATE hearing tests because every time I go in the sound booth, all I hear is HUMMING noise, and it sounds very loud, even with my hearing aids off. The very first beep, causes tinnitus for the rest of the test. It's so annoying.

I went to ENT doctor and he was very puzzled at what could be the reason of my tinnitus. He concluded that there may be a chance that my digital hearing aids are overly amplified. That is a possibility. However, at times I can't hear much of anything, even if the volume is all the way up, and other times people are so loud that I have to turn it all the way down, or heck even off.

I'm seriously considering of getting CI. A lot of my friends have it, so I've been asking them questions. Of course, my biggest fear is "Will it work?"

the "shhhh" sound is usually called "white noise" it's the opposite of a pure tone.

My tinnitus is occasional and not as debilitating as yours, though once in a while I'll suddenly have the "ringing" and it's hard to hear anything else, not actively listening to anything (just ignoring it) makes it seem to go away faster, (actually I don't think it goes away faster, just makes it easier to survive until it's gone :) ) This happens to me less than once a week, so it's a pain in the ass, but not as frustrating as yours I'm sure.

Starting about 6 months ago Ive been having a different sort of tinnitus experience. I get these brief and random little chirps or beeps. It drove me crazy at first because I kept thinking "what the hell is that noise!?" I finally discovered I was the only one hearing it.
Does any one else have tinnitus like that?

I've heard that getting a CI will sometimes get rid of tinnitus, but not always, I've heard that nothing can cure the most severe tinnitus cases.

what about some kind of meditation to help you ignore the tinnitus? As I mentioned earlier, letting it drive me crazy only makes me more crazy.
since you've been researching about it you probably allready do things like avoid caffeine and stuff.

the "shhhh" sound is usually called "white noise" it's the opposite of a pure tone.

Ahh that's what I meant, white noise. I was thinking of a word and I couldn't remember...lol.

what about some kind of meditation to help you ignore the tinnitus? As I mentioned earlier, letting it drive me crazy only makes me more crazy.
since you've been researching about it you probably allready do things like avoid caffeine and stuff.

Yeah, I avoid caffeine as much as I can. I still drink tea from time to time, but I don't go stir crazy with sodas, coffee (bleh!), or anything like that because it causes my migraine to get pretty bad.

I never heard of any medication for tinnitus. I actually have tried Aloe for the ear. Supposedly, it's supposed to soothe the nerves.....what a load of crap.
Right now, I just try to ignore it...but even doing that is such a chore.

You have my sentiment I have the same problem.

As for me, in the mornings when I wake up, ear is nice and quiet , then Id put onm the hearing aids, then its starts to hum loudly , (thought it much less loud now a days), so yeah in a way i agree its to do with brain's benig starved for auditory informations from the ear's lack of activity in responding to amplified sound (from HA). While that may indeed probable, I also think that the ear's is a highly sensitive organ which the reliability of its functions relys on many other things, like stress, bloodflow, the minerals carried thru bloodstreams, (picture a miniscule contamination of the cochlear (who knows?!?) and other parts of the ear, even 'insulating' some nerves attaching the cochlear to the brain......

so thats why they talk about diets
I found apple juice helps, red wine is usually a no-no, so now i drank Chardonnay if haveing a wine.
Creamy canned sweetcorn (or even on the cob) really helps
Eggs tend to be on the iffy side......
I stay away from sodas, or anyting with sugar rush

so yeah i think its a combination of all that.
but yes i have the same symtoms , but I tend to suspect symtoms are not always reliable clues.

Oh yeah, as for medications, I having Tebonin, once a day, a herbal extract (ginko bibolba) for tinnitus, seems to help a little, I guess it depends on what might be your own cause of tinnitus ( I think its' partly an ageing process for me, as I have changing eye visions, (and floaters, not as as bad as it was either) too

also today im got an appt for tests to see if I am suitable for CI
but I arent sure, just keeping options open, and yes ive heard it helps, But i only heard this from one CIers, other I dont know, and guess it all depends on what kind of tinnitus it actually is.
IMO, I have doubts on CI being benefit for tinnitus though
my 2 cents

Even though I'm completely deaf and it's unlikely for me to get tinnitus too often, can I be part of your survey?

My tinnitus improves dramatically with my aid in. The ear without the aid is worse and constant.

Back