Time Warner Cable doing trial on High Speed Internet Charge based on Usage

TechBill

Reaction score
Time Warner testing to start charging people who download way lots of data from internet and start charging extra to them.

Here a link to the story Time Warner Links Web Prices With Usage: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Look like who uses lots of data download will no longer be "unlimited" in soon with Time Warner and have to pay more for it.

I wonder if that will effect us deaf commuities that depends on VP for relay calls since VP is a data hog and uses lot of data both ways forcing us to pay more or extra fees for VP calls.

It isn't unlimited now, nor has it been for years. Many internet providers cap the consumers' bandwidth between 50GB to 75GB per month on broadband connection. After that, you will get warnings via e-mail and get charged for extra uses.

People do have unlimited access to the internet, but not unlimited bandwidth usages. That's what they don't tell you.

You can tell them and explain that videophone will use most of the time.

The problem is kid at home and doing the download music. I was hoping that they can filter the of H.323 or H. 263. So it wouldn't prevent the VP user to use VRS or VP to VP.

When I hook up the ISP and they warned me about bandwidth usage and they have right to terminated the account or reduce speed on how much bandwidth usage per month. Same idea the cellular phone that charge base on per minutes.

I hope they understand about the different peer to peer (music, video copy, and other) should set filter because videophone is our primary communication.

You can call and tell them that you learn about that news and let them aware about that your primary is videophone to use high speed. About the kid, they need cut the music download is the number one stealing or hog bandwidth.

Time Warner customers: Prepare to pay more for your VRS calls

Jared's report

Jared's Rambling Thoughts

I believe that ISPs should exempt the Deaf from caps if we were able to supply an audiological proof. :fingersx:

Not only that, this will kill any chances of downloadable HD movies going mainstream.

Although some ISPs may have download caps where they charge overages or reduce your download speed once past the limit, ours doesn't. Call and ask all the companies that might serve your area. Chances are, you'll find one that doesn't cap, or one that has a cap so unreasonably high that nobody could actually manage to go over it, even if downloading from a super-fast server 24/7.

File complaint with FCC.. Tell them that Time Warner and other ISP have no right to cap on deafie's bandwith on VRS and VP chat. Audiogram from Audiologist would be enuf to shut em up. We don't need to go back to stone age and use TTY.. It's time for us to move foward to new frontier!!. Though I don't use much bandwith but it's good to be aware that if they lowered the bandwidth cap limit. I would be :pissed::pissed: . I DO download big file once in a while. I recalled that sooner we might have fiber optic network which is 300 mpbs. IT would like Time Warner back then all over again, cable ISP expensive, dialup cheap. Then will be Fiber optic ISP expensive, cable cheap... :pissed:

Sequoias, I agree with you about AOL. I remmy I joined AOL back in 1996 using dialups. It ran just like high speed ethernet until 3 months later, AOL annouced new service plan and people clogged up dialup service. I was sooo disappointed. I've witnessed the speed on dialup and I used to have 200mhz Packard Bell system using Windoz 95 and 32mb memory. I quit using AOL and join Time Warner ever since after 2000.

Catty.

I noticed that it only affect new customer, not existing customers. From Yahoo Finance link provided by TechBill: "It was not clear when exactly the trial would begin, but Dudley said it would likely be around the second quarter. The tiered pricing would only affect new customers in Beaumont, not existing ones."

We need to form Grassroot support to file complaint to FCC to prevent any ISP taking advantage on deaf people across the nation if they changed mind to attack existing customers and any new deaf customer wanting to use broadbands for their VP and pc.. We have every right to use bandwidth for VP, VRS, and IP relay ect. We are not trying to hog bandwidth tho.

Thnaks
Catty

Last edited:
Time Warner testing to start charging people who download way lots of data from internet and start charging extra to them.

Here a link to the story Time Warner Links Web Prices With Usage: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Look like who uses lots of data download will no longer be "unlimited" in soon with Time Warner and have to pay more for it.

I wonder if that will effect us deaf commuities that depends on VP for relay calls since VP is a data hog and uses lot of data both ways forcing us to pay more or extra fees for VP calls.

If that happen! I would switch back to DSL which it stinks! I don't want switch back to DSL. In my area it only provide Time Warner Cable.

If that happen! I would switch back to DSL which it stinks! I don't want switch back to DSL. In my area it only provide Time Warner Cable.

DITTOOOO!!! My area only allow Time Warner AND Everest Cable. It didn't have DSL in my area!! I'm kinda in shocked cuz my area is a new and less than 6 years old!!! My parent who live 20 min from my area own 50 yr old home and they DO have DSL.. Huh!?? make no sense!! :pissed: I sure hope that AT&T would rig DSL cable sooner.

I personally don't like Everest cable (St. Louis base ISP) because lousy broadband speed (download speed 72kpbs steady regardless if it had 512kbps and Windoz XP's broadband hack). I called Everest about broadband speed issue. They admitted that they do control broadband speed.. Grrr!! They told me if I want faster broadband, I only need to pay $10 extra a month for 1.5 mbps. I wonder 1/4th of 1.5kpbs would means 256mbps?? Huh? (told them on phone)... My friend who live 20 min from me had Everest and her speed is normal. She had different kind of Cable modem (this may confirm my suspicion). My black cable modem is a palm sized version while hers is a white cable modem which is 3 times the size. I currently have Time Warner Cable modem which is 4 times bigger than previous. It included backup battery. I used to have alien looking TW cablemodem that had smooth rounded curved bezel w/ line of LED lined vertically. I returned it back to TW when I moved to new house and had tiny Everest cablemodem. Then few years later and frustration, I switched back to TW and have 712kpbs speed (It did go over the speed every now and then :giggle::fingersx:)

So Hopefully Time Warner not gonna attack current customers! :pissed:

MY parent have DSL and it's oohkaayy to me. It's not as fast as my Time Warner. They have wimpy wireless usb adapter from AT&T. I tested it by running Youtube.com and noticed video taking time to download and run.

I don't always trust broadband Speedtest. (It displays 6,300kpbs download and 480kpbs upload) They may say that my broadband is fast while actual speed is far less than what it shown on speedtest (averaging 650kpbs download but rarely 900kpbs). I noticed that my Tuxbox (Linux installed system) downloads faster than any of my XP box. Oh well!..

Catty

Last edited:
Back