Tian Yu (Xiu Xiu: The Send Down Girl)

Vance

Reaction score
tianyu2qd.jpg

I'd love to review this movie but I can't. The emotions that I felt prevented me but I want to let this review speak for me:
Linda Linguvic said:
Filmed in China without the government's approval, this movie marks the directional debut of Joan Chen who starred in The Last Emperor and who has also been seen on American television. It is a sad and moving story of a young teenage girl during the cultural revolution.

Lu Lu is 15 in 1975 when she volunteers to be sent to the country in the sweep of patriotic fever and is sweeping the country. After a year she is sent on a special assignment: to learn horse herding in Tibet under the tutelage of an older man, Lopsang, who cannot function sexually because he had been castrated twenty years before. They share a dilapidated tent in a remote area of the grasslands of Tibet for what is supposed to be only a six month assignment. They learn to adjust to each other in spite of the fact that she is headstrong and a bit spoiled. He is good to her and a real affection develops between them. However, when the 6 months is up, she is abandoned by the government. The cultural revolution is breaking up and the project has been disbanded. A passing peddler then seduces her with promises of a travel visa, but he abandons her too and then there a series of men who visit her in her tent with empty promises.

Through all this, the audience watches the changes in the once-hopeful young girl and the silent concern of Lopsang. It soon becomes painfully clear that this movie will have a tragic conclusion. I understand this film has won some awards and I hope it wins more. It certainly deserves it. Great acting and characterization. Fine cinematography. And a deep and stark reality of the corruption of the Chinese government. Some parts were unclear though and it could have used better editing. And even though it was only 100 minutes long, it was much too slow for my taste. In spite of its strengths, it is not for everyone. It was too sad and painful. There's enough of that on the news right now.
Source: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-0084941-7767005?v=glance&s=video

Nas and I watched the movie few days ago and it was ... amazing. Very controversial movie. It broke our heart to see what happened to that young girl. It also stirred our emotions as well. I think all of AD'ers should watch this movie to see for themselves. But make sure that no child(ren) of yours watch this movie. It is not for children. The ending is utterly sad and most likely to make you cry. Once you watch this movie, be sure to go out somewhere to cheer yourself up.

It is unfortunately not licensed in America yet but you can find/buy it via amazon.com (through the sellers) or any foreign online stores. You probably cannot find it at any local stores but try your best to find them. Netflix do have it. Here's link: http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60031774&trkid=181026. Rent/buy and watch it. Bring the tissues with you.

Edited: Gnarly informed me that anyone can find it in blockbusters so check them out. Some, not all of Blockbusters do have it...

Back