Thoughts on the Third Commandment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose Immortal

Reaction score
I've always found the way some people interpret this commandment rather odd...

This is the one I usually hear people quote as "Don't take the Lord's name in vain."

Usually when I hear this quote, it's people getting angry at someone for using a phrase like "Oh my God."

The reason this strikes me as odd is because I'm not sure that a major commandment like this was meant for something like that. In Latino cultures, it is very accepted to use exclamations like "Ay, Dios mio," and it is not considered blasphemy--it is considered invoking God in one's daily life. So the American interpretation, in my mind, is likely an example of Puritan legalism.

I think this commandment HAD to mean something a lot bigger than just saying "Oh my God," considering that it is a major commandment and not just one of the small laws you find somewhere in Leviticus. Here's what I think it means--using God's name to justify one's own hateful, selfish acts. Examples include mistreating others and then claiming it was because God WANTED you to mistreat that person. Surely God must be outraged and upset at that! It's slander, really.

Sometimes the people who worry the most over the legalistic interpretations are the ones who break the REAL rule the most.

Just my own observations, and I'm going to step out and let you all chat--agree or disagree as you like.

I'm not exactly religious, but I did want to comment something I happened to read about not long ago. The third commandment goes like this:

"You shalt not swear falsely by the name of the Lord..."

Which says to never take the name of God in a vain oath. In Exodus, the text reads "in a vain oath" ( לא תשא את שם ה' לשוא ). If you look in Deuteronomy, you'll read in a false oath. ( לא תשא שם ה' לשקר ). Still essentially the same message.

In my opinon, it's deontological. It's about your intent. If you do not intend to defile the name you use, then I don't think it's an issue.

What is the point, Heath? You lost me. :confused:

Oh excuse me ... ok here is the deal. Let's break this down...

You see the 3rd commandment right? then you see the American picture and what it says on the top of the emblem and you match that it will make sense then study the whole 10 commandments and see the bottom of the emblem and see how they fit in together just right. The website link is something I came across on about the Ten Commandments in ASL....

well..

do to fact that gods name is not in the bible ..and god is not his name....you can yell scream ,bitch and moan all you want.
yahweh,jehovia, ahlla,budda...not his name...they are names used in place of his name so you never make a mistake of using his name in vain.
if we ever had it...it is now long forgotten.

Rose Immortal said:
I've always found the way some people interpret this commandment rather odd...

This is the one I usually hear people quote as "Don't take the Lord's name in vain."

Usually when I hear this quote, it's people getting angry at someone for using a phrase like "Oh my God."

The reason this strikes me as odd is because I'm not sure that a major commandment like this was meant for something like that. In Latino cultures, it is very accepted to use exclamations like "Ay, Dios mio," and it is not considered blasphemy--it is considered invoking God in one's daily life. So the American interpretation, in my mind, is likely an example of Puritan legalism.

I think this commandment HAD to mean something a lot bigger than just saying "Oh my God," considering that it is a major commandment and not just one of the small laws you find somewhere in Leviticus. Here's what I think it means--using God's name to justify one's own hateful, selfish acts. Examples include mistreating others and then claiming it was because God WANTED you to mistreat that person. Surely God must be outraged and upset at that! It's slander, really.

Sometimes the people who worry the most over the legalistic interpretations are the ones who break the REAL rule the most.

Just my own observations, and I'm going to step out and let you all chat--agree or disagree as you like.

Well, I've seen some people sayin' these 3 words I just highlighted it above. I don't use those words. When I read some ADer's post that say these words... what does it reflect this person ? I am sure when they re-read their posts that they used to say them in some months later or maybe, even weeks - how would they feel when they read their own posts ? Feelin' pretty stupid ? or maybe, say that is not them ? It helps them to change for the better when they look at themselves after readin' their own posts.

It's all about maturity - thanks to this AD. *laughin'*
Alex ! Ya clever for settin' this AD up to mirror ADers for their errors to help changin' 'em eh ? :squint:

Hi...

I left this for awhile to see how people would respond to it.

I'd like to respectfully say that I do not feel ashamed for saying "Oh my God". I mean something like "God help me" or "God have mercy" when I see it.

Sometimes if I've been swearing in a post, yeah, I do feel kinda stupid about it afterwards. But invoking God does not shame me.

CyberRed, may I ask what you thought about the substance of my post--the idea that perhaps some ignore the possibility that this commandment speaks about justifying one's selfish deeds with God's holy Name?

God IS an intelligent Being with feelings. He's got perfect control over His feelings and will not react inappropriately, but since He DOES have feelings, I think it's very rude and hurtful to Him to do what amounts to slander or defamation of character by doing something hateful and then claiming He wanted it. That's got to hurt Him. :(

I will step out again and let you guys talk. Given some of the threads that have gone rotten here, I'm trying to be very careful not to let this one turn into a brush fire.

My personal view is... I think each one of us KNOWS when we have used it in Vain. It is the feeling behind the word.

PFH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back