Those who goes to, or went to galludet...

darkangel8603

Reaction score
I am still thinking about whether to go to galludet or not, I am curious, as i read that pet is probhited from dorms, so i am wondering, can first year student live off campus? cuz some university does not allow first year student to live on their own apt off the campus.. So could anybody help and answer this for me? thanks... :thumb:

Been at Gally 20 years ago. I am sure policy has been changed over 20 years. So can't answer your question for Gally. BUT for NTID, which I already went and is in my town. They do require first year student up to age of 25 to live in Tower A.

darkangel8603 said:
I am still thinking about whether to go to galludet or not, I am curious, as i read that pet is probhited from dorms, so i am wondering, can first year student live off campus? cuz some university does not allow first year student to live on their own apt off the campus.. So could anybody help and answer this for me? thanks... :thumb:

darkangel....Live on campus anyway! If you're a first year or a transfer student, you feel very isolated if you live off campus. The campus life is so worth it...I loved it! I loved feeling a part of a giant family...cheesy and corny, but yeah, my college buddies are my family and I love them.

I never go there before but someday I will go there. I have many deaf friends went to gally.

I went to Gally in 96 for one semester.. I lived on campus.. Krug Hall was crazy as hell! lot of fire alarms going off in the middle of the night, having to go outside in the snow and wait for an hour or so for it to be clear. As soon as we went back to bed, the fire alarm went off again.. it was crazy! My roomie hid in the closet while everyone had to go outside. If you get caught hiding.. they fine you. Krug Hall is mostly for newbies for first year.. but I'm not sure about now... but I think you should live on campus for your first year and get use to the environment around you then you may can move out to the off-campus.. Living off campus can be dangerous, only if you can handle it. I couldn't.. that explains that I'm from the south and live in the country where its soo quiet and peaceful. So do whatever makes you comfy and happy. Good Luck!

ahh never went to gally but went to ntid/rit....first year need to live on campus unless u have a reason to live off campus like married etc....

its good experience to live on campus for a yr.. i had pet gerbils that I hid under bed...that I was not allowed to have pets.. i had fun and good luck in your decision making.

Yes, it is possible to live off campus. I did that for three years at gally. I was lucky to live just across the road from gally on west virginia ave ne for the last 2 years at gally, after living about 8 blocks away for the first year! I had two ferrets for three years, and landlords were accepting of them.

If you ever need a job, you can ask for one at Romsack's Deli on D and 8th if there is any available. I know the owner.. she is very deaf friendly. And her dad loves peanut butter cookies. Don't ask me how I know. Long story. ;) LOL

If you want to live off campus with pet, you should check for apartments with pet policy.. you might even be asked to pay a pet deposit.. and there are the infamous "deaf apartments" on florida ave ne. I don't know anybody to get in touch about them, sorry, and usually they're full. My friend once stayed there with her two yorkshire dogs. I assume they allow pets there. But it will never hurt to try! Look through newspaper or the internet. There should be postings on bulletins at gally, too. Word of mouth is very good.

Also consider the "stress" of rent and utilities and the interaction with housemates or neighbors next door. Then there is the "stress" of having a roommate and the fire alarm for first year students at Krug and Cogswell. Stayed at Cogswell.. hated the fire alarm pain! It was GREAT meeting friends at the dorms, though.

Back