Those Receiving SSI, How Much Do You Get Each Month?

How Much SSI Per Month?

• $600

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • $700

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • $800

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • $900

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1000

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • $1100

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • $1200

• $1300

• $1400

• $1500 or more

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Exactually!!!! I tried to help a deaf lady get a job that would pay her pre-taxes $2000 a month, she Responded: "I would rather get $650 from SSI and not have to go through the trouble of getting up early and getting to work on a bus and then taking the bus home with all those hearing people" and that is the exact quote from her....Lazy Bitch...Good For Nothing....and all my effort for nothing, that's the thanks I get.

That's reality for many deaf people - they are fed up with discrimination that they deal on a daily basis.. not being able to understand what they're saying and being told, "never mind" or "I am sorry." and they feel demoralized.

However, I can say that if she is told that she can get a job in a workplace where everyone signs, she'd sign up.

Surely, there are discrimination and I can not deny that. But here is the truth. Both normal people and disabled people but actually face the same dilimmeas, just that both have different dilimmas. Normal able person without any physical or internal disability faced uncertainly and if they got lay off, they do not have much safety net while those who have disabilities have plenty of safety nets.

Point is a normal person will most likely not qualify much of safety net, meaning if they got lay off, they must be prepared ahead of time otherwise they are screwed up. Verses a person with disability has real advantage, they do not need to be prepare ahead if they get laid off. When they get laid off, okay file UI, then file SSI/SSDI with 6 month awaiting period. With this benefit, why can't person with disabilities go ahead find any kind of jobs? I have heard those that said I don't want to clean toilet bowls, mopping floors, washing dishes, etc, etc. These kinds of jobs is out there and available! Yet no one is taking it. Whats their excuses?

Mind you, how did I get better job? The answer is that I started with dishwashing! I hate these job with passion but I just DID it and BAM! better opportunities comes up. Surely, I washed dishes at one of restaurant and I made 100% commitment with 100% attendance and that is all I took to get better job. However there are still plenty of lousy jobs with lousy pay is available.

I know todays the economy is screwed up, the days of plenty of decent jobs is gone for unemployed, yet plenty available for employed. I know it sounded sarcastic but that is the truth. No employer would offer decent jobs to unemployed. What decent employer is looking for one that has loyality, 100% commitment with 100% attendance.

That's reality for many deaf people - they are fed up with discrimination that they deal on a daily basis.. not being able to understand what they're saying and being told, "never mind" or "I am sorry." and they feel demoralized.

However, I can say that if she is told that she can get a job in a workplace where everyone signs, she'd sign up.

Surely, there are discrimination and I can not deny that. But here is the truth. Both normal people and disabled people but actually face the same dilimmeas, just that both have different dilimmas. Normal able person without any physical or internal disability faced uncertainly and if they got lay off, they do not have much safety net while those who have disabilities have plenty of safety nets.

Point is a normal person will most likely not qualify much of safety net, meaning if they got lay off, they must be prepared ahead of time otherwise they are screwed up. Verses a person with disability has real advantage, they do not need to be prepare ahead if they get laid off. When they get laid off, okay file UI, then file SSI/SSDI with 6 month awaiting period. With this benefit, why can't person with disabilities go ahead find any kind of jobs? I have heard those that said I don't want to clean toilet bowls, mopping floors, washing dishes, etc, etc. These kinds of jobs is out there and available! Yet no one is taking it. Whats their excuses?

Mind you, how did I get better job? The answer is that I started with dishwashing! I hate these job with passion but I just DID it and BAM! better opportunities comes up. Surely, I washed dishes at one of restaurant and I made 100% commitment with 100% attendance and that is all I took to get better job.

I know todays the economy is screwed up, the days of plenty of decent jobs is gone for unemployed, yet plenty available for employed. I know it sounded sarcastic but that is the truth. No employer would offer decent jobs to unemployed. What decent employer is looking for one that has loyality, 100% commitment with 100% attendance.

Yes, there are plenty of lousy jobs with lousy pay still available, grab it to get better job later.

Also, why we still getting illegal immigrants working for lousy jobs? The simple answer is no legal American citizens wants to take it, ironic, eh?

I met one deaf woman at silent dinner in last year and she said that she lives on SSI for 20 years so I was like what then she said that she doesn't want get job due difficult to communicate with boss that she had been suffered and she got fired in 1988 due lack of communication. I told her to find a job that is more deaf related but she isn't interested in and she's happy to get money from government, that turn me off.

I won't live on SSI for any longer and I will find a job after finish with college in 5 years. I dislike SSI but better than nothing and had deal with SSA about overpayment and will not pay off in 1 year. If you plan to resign from job because of full-time student or need assist with families so please go talk to boss about you will get unused vacation pay and bonus before you inform to SSA, if not then you can be end up in overpayment.

I have been on Social Security Disability for 2 years almost. Will get my Medicare starting on 9-1-10. I have multiple reasons for getting it and staying on it. I have recently tried looking for a job, but can't get one due to the fact that I can't sit for long periods or stand for long periods, can't hear a thing and HA's or CI will not help and I don't know enough ASL. Better that I stay home and take care of my family and continue with my disability checks.

I met one deaf woman at silent dinner in last year and she said that she lives on SSI for 20 years so I was like what then she said that she doesn't want get job due difficult to communicate with boss that she had been suffered and she got fired in 1988 due lack of communication. I told her to find a job that is more deaf related but she isn't interested in and she's happy to get money from government, that turn me off.

I won't live on SSI for any longer and I will find a job after finish with college in 5 years. I dislike SSI but better than nothing and had deal with SSA about overpayment and will not pay off in 1 year. If you plan to resign from job because of full-time student or need assist with families so please go talk to boss about you will get unused vacation pay and bonus before you inform to SSA, if not then you can be end up in overpayment.

That's a good attitude....... Work is good for ya. Just curious though.....why 5 years to finish college?

That's true

Yes,that is it.What I am thinking is the same as you.I not very sure before.Thanks

Most people I know who live on SSDI, SSA and SSI are going to LV this week for fun, me I have to work to pay bills and can not afford to go there. It bothers me alot.

Most people I know who live on SSDI, SSA and SSI are going to LV this week for fun, me I have to work to pay bills and can not afford to go there. It bothers me alot.

Me too

That's a good attitude....... Work is good for ya. Just curious though.....why 5 years to finish college?

because it take 4-5 years to receive a bachelor degree and I will plan to transfer to Gallaudet Univ in Jan 2011. I doubt that couple of my college credits will be transferable due different course requirement.

because it take 4-5 years to receive a bachelor degree and I will plan to transfer to Gallaudet Univ in Jan 2011. I doubt that couple of my college credits will be transferable due different course requirement.

so save your time and money by picking the courses that are transferable

I know what you mean, but here is trade off, when you reach retirement you will get fatter SS check than those who already on SSI.

For me, I live on SSI and can't afford to go to LV either because I have pay bills and save up in bank for important thing.

Shoot I would have gotten out in three if I wasn't working...... Summer school......

Shoot I would have gotten out in three if I wasn't working...... Summer school......

I'm currently take courses in summer school and I experienced too much hassle in summer school so probably won't register for summer courses again.

I found out from VR and my friends about Gallaudet Univ won't accept many of credits that you earned from other college and you will have take courses again.

It is better to finish all remedial classes at community college before transfer to Gallaudet Univ so could get enough score on placement test to take college courses and just good start to do like I did. I only have 1 remedial class to left that I have take in this fall. I found out that minimum for remedial math course at my college is Math 90 but minimum for remedial math course at Gallaudet is Math 40.

I'm currently take courses in summer school and I experienced too much hassle in summer school so probably won't register for summer courses again.

I found out from VR and my friends about Gallaudet Univ won't accept many of credits that you earned from other college and you will have take courses again.

It is better to finish all remedial classes at community college before transfer to Gallaudet Univ so could get enough score on placement test to take college courses and just good start to do like I did. I only have 1 remedial class to left that I have take in this fall. I found out that minimum for remedial math course at my college is Math 90 but minimum for remedial math course at Gallaudet is Math 40.

Cool

For summer, if I need a job so I have find a volunteer jobs without mess up my SSI, especially overpayment and possible cut off for few months if you make too much money so I don't want through this shit again.

I know what you mean, but here is trade off, when you reach retirement you will get fatter SS check than those who already on SSI.

Thats correct. For those who are on SSI and dont work, will never get SSD since they are not qualified with enough work credits. When working part time on SSI, you will lose on average a dollar from ssi for every 2 dollars you earn. If you get SSD and work part time, its easier. you can earn up to you SGI amount without penalty. If you worked and earn 11 work credits, you are elgible for SSD for sure.

When you are working- your retirement amount increases annually till you retire or start SSD. Once you start SSI/SSD, you will never see a increase in monthly checks except for government approved for increased cost of living and it is never to par with inflation.

If you are working, dont get SS yet till you retire then you will be in better shape then those who stay on SSD/SSI early in life. Are you jealous of those not working living on SS? think twice, they really dont have the things you have and dont have the retirement net you are working for. When you retire, you will have the last laugh as you will have better health, better monthly checks, etc.

IF you think I am making fun of those on SS now, you are surely wrong. I am on SS now, just showing the facts of life.

so save your time and money by picking the courses that are transferable

Yup, good idea but only problem is Gallaudet Univ wouldn't accept any kind of credit transfer from other college as hearing college won't accept credit transfer from Gallaudet Univ, except in few cases, that what I heard from my VR counselor. I got good news about my VR will pay my college for fall courses, except for 1 remedial course. I'm not concerned about lose the credits when transfer to Gallaudet Univ but only most important is getting well know about remedial classes (must know about algebra, geometry, english, reading) that could pass the placement test to take full college credited courses without need take any remedial classes at Gallaudet Univ.

I'm going take ACT in fall and hopefully to get high score to exempt the placement test.

Take remedial classes at Gallaudet Univ is wasteful, look at tuition cost unless some state VR will pay all. :ugh:

Mind you, how did I get better job? The answer is that I started with dishwashing! I hate these job with passion but I just DID it and BAM! better opportunities comes up. Surely, I washed dishes at one of restaurant and I made 100% commitment with 100% attendance and that is all I took to get better job.

Yes, there are plenty of lousy jobs with lousy pay still available, grab it to get better job later.

Excellent point, DHB. The public have lost the fine art of good hard work. Everyone wants a free ride, a great job, high pay, but they're not willing to work up to it. I worked through high school at McDonalds, washed dishes in college, and drove ambulances through medical school. And still graduated at the top of my class. You can't start at the top.

Back