Those of us that have been bullied....

Hmm....I don't recall very many teachers picking on me, but many of them were obviously very uncomfortable around me, treating me like a plague. One music teacher made me sit way in the back of the class, and complained that I did not listen, and could not figure out why I could not sing along with the class.

Just because people have a Master's degree or better in education, doesn't mean they have any common sense.

I've had my share of teachers that saw what was happening and didn't come to my defense, one that laughed at me along with the class, because I couldn't understand what was said in classes and asked them to repeat more than once, but none picked on me. There were plenty of students that I shared a class with that bullied me though, some of whom only "knew" me from lunch and the hall ways.

I actually have a nice story to tell. After dad bought me my first BTE (I was in 5th grade - Mrs. Bandazian), I had no idea I'd have to change the battery. Apparently Mrs. B. was talking to me but with a hairband on to hide the aid (something most of you young'uns would not know about is my guess), she came over and ripped off my headband and immediately hugged me. She dismissed the class for an early recess. Hugging me was fine but embarrassing and she was a great teacher. She had me follow her to the mimeograph room and talked to me and asked me about it. Then she let me out for the remaining few seconds of recess. My class was comin' in. Ahead of the pack was Carol Gruneberg and she just came over and wrapped her arms around me. No pain, great hugs, and a heck of a lot of gain.

Scarsdale Middle/High School was horrible but it was due to my social awkwardness and my hearing - self inflicted - and there were clicks fully formed. So, while I worked my way out of the dungeon with rising grades and getting on the deans list I still was pretty backward. I broke out by getting an award at graduation and getting 25 cents for making bets I could do more pull ups than the guys (I usually and honestly won - it was an escape for me) but I remained fairly secluded with few friends. I don't know if I can blame it on my hearing but rather my own insecurities about my hearing aid in a fast-paced, snobby environment.

I had my share of being bullied in elementary and middle school years. I would say that my middle school was the worst years til I finally get into high school in a different district and being bullied was greatly reduced.

I had a student bullied on me and the coach sent both me and the bully to the principal office and suspended both of us even I never laid hands on the bully. Its like if you told a teacher you're bullied and they get you in trouble. Its absurd that school is not really protecting the victims enough.

We've been hearing a lot of bully problems in school and we hear the victim committed suicide and self tortures. With a lot of things happening around the country with school violence and bullying, some parents opt to home school their kids. The emotional abuse takes a toll on those helpless victims. :(

I hear ya, Calvin. I would come home and try to explain to my parents that there is a kid that is constantly hitting me and making threats, etc, and my parents looked at me like I was making it up. I got plenty of bullying from my brother & Dad, so I kept things bottled up inside for years.

I was a 80lb weakling, and these bullies were usually much bigger than me. The school system really sucked, the teachers were always miserable.....then we moved to another state, and the bullying stopped.

p.s. My parents went to my father's 50th high school reunion a few years ago. My dad said that many former students refused to talk to him. I asked him why....he admitted that he was a bully himself and can't blame them.....but refuses to apologize to anyone....then again, he never admits any wrongdoing.

I hear ya, Calvin. I would come home and try to explain to my parents that there is a kid that is constantly hitting me and making threats, etc, and my parents looked at me like I was making it up. I got plenty of bullying from my brother & Dad, so I kept things bottled up inside for years.

I was a 80lb weakling, and these bullies were usually much bigger than me. The school system really sucked, the teachers were always miserable.....then we moved to another state, and the bullying stopped.

p.s. My parents went to my father's 50th high school reunion a few years ago. My dad said that many former students refused to talk to him. I asked him why....he admitted that he was a bully himself and can't blame them.....but refuses to apologize to anyone....then again, he never admits any wrongdoing.

He should apologize to his former students and to you that he should not have bully anyone no matter what. That is an insult to our intelligent minds and our human beings (we are just different). I don't care if the person think that students need to tough it out and your Dad is not blunting like that. He just want his ways of being a bully. I think his parents might have abused him before he became a bully. I don't know.

Being a bully is no fun at all. It hurts and make the person feel small or violated. No one should never go through with that treatment. Your Dad have to learn to respect your differences including his former students. :(

He should apologize to his former students and to you that he should not have bully anyone no matter what. That is an insult to our intelligent minds and our human beings (we are just different). I don't care if the person think that students need to tough it out and your Dad is not blunting like that. He just want his ways of being a bully. I think his parents might have abused him before he became a bully. I don't know.

Being a bully is no fun at all. It hurts and make the person feel small or violated. No one should never go through with that treatment. Your Dad have to learn to respect your differences including his former students. :(

1) They were his classmates, not students.

2) Yes, my Dad was bullied by his own mother, just like most bullies are bullied at home.

3) Narcissism is a mental disorder....a narcissist cannot come to terms that he/she may be wrong, and will never admit to any wrongdoing. Plus, how many 65+ year old people actually apologize for bad behavior? Not many.

My parents were somewhat overprotective of me and I wasn't able to do the sports in school nor go out with friends that much. I have not been to reunion cuz I moved out of state after high school. I have since became independent and my parents have not bothered me since I have the job and taking care of my own.

It's sad that nowadays there is lack of respect in society.

It really sucks when your teacher joins in on the act of bullying.

Back