this sign means?

tegumi

Reaction score
Okay... Forgive me for asking such a dumb question. I saw a sign yesterday that I know I have seen before, but its been so long I forgot the meaning.

The sign is the same movement as "world", "year", and "universe" but with "k" handshapes.... I don't remember... Lol

Movement like "year" but with "k" handshapes.... Help me out!

Teg

The sign "KIND", means "kinds" of things, or types of things, as in "what kind of dog is that?" or "blood is identified by type."

The word "kind" (or "kindness") also means "nice"; it would be signed "NICE", as in "nice to meet you." "He is a kind neighbor."

I think Reba is correct-- that "K" sign what tegumi referred is "what kind of that is?" But for me, that "K" sign says "type"... "What type is that?" (shrug) Kind and type mean the same so I guess it is okay for me to assoicate "type" with that sign.

I don't think it means "kindness"-- because it is signed different with no "K" handsape. I use more than a "B" , but with thumbs out too and bend my "Bs" and rotate both around another as if I am signing for "world" but with "B" handshape with thumbs out. There is a variation where you touch your heart/chest with your middle finger then continue that sign as you switch over to two B handshapes rotating outward from your chest. One rotation. I find it awkward if you keep rotating "kindness" more than two times.

(Forgive me if I make it sound complicated-- I am still struggling to "English-ize" the ASL signs... my husband is teaching me how to read the ASL books where you see those "codes" on how to sign)

gnarlydorkette said:
I think Reba is correct-- that "K" sign what tegumi referred is "what kind of that is?" But for me, that "K" sign says "type"... "What type is that?" (shrug) Kind and type mean the same so I guess it is okay for me to assoicate "type" with that sign.

I don't think it means "kindness"-- because it is signed different with no "K" handsape. I use more than a "B" , but with thumbs out too and bend my "Bs" and rotate both around another as if I am signing for "world" but with "B" handshape with thumbs out. There is a variation where you touch your heart/chest with your middle finger then continue that sign as you switch over to two B handshapes rotating outward from your chest. One rotation. I find it awkward if you keep rotating "kindness" more than two times.

(Forgive me if I make it sound complicated-- I am still struggling to "English-ize" the ASL signs... my husband is teaching me how to read the ASL books where you see those "codes" on how to sign)
OOps, your'e right about the word 'kindness' - use 2 hands - handshape B like you just describe. OR use 1 hand - handshape 5 with middle finger bend.. move hand in circle movement once on the chest then touch chest at the end.

:thumb: I agree with Reba, on how she explained the two different ways of using the word "kind" with the proper meaning.

Gnarlydorkette, I still see a lot of people signing "kind" the way you explained using the "b" method.

Back