This may be a stupid question...

Lexii

Reaction score
But is a BAHA considered a Cochlear Implant?

(I feel so embarrassed to ask this question, mostly because I have a BAHA, ah!)

:ugh:

No, because it doesn't go into cochlea, the BAHA are implanted on the skull thats all. Does this help? It's not stupid question, it helps us to understand people's minds on these devices.

Okay! Thanks so much! That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if it was still categorized with CIs for whatever reason. :)

its not silly hell i dont even know a BAHA but the CI is to do with the cochlear thats the part of the ear inside, shape like snails shells it has millions of hair/nerves which moves to signals sounds to the brain.
if the BAHA does not involve cochlear, then its not a CI... an implant its like what that electrode planted inside , hence 'implant'
ok hope this help, btw what IS BAHA? any one explain// maybe id google it...

Your ear has 3 parts: the outer ear, the inner ear, and the cochlea.

The inner ear has temporal bones that transmit vibrations from the eardrum to the cochlea.

Those of us that have damaged or non-functional inner ear parts, but no damage to the cochlea will benefit from a Baha implant.

Those of us that have damaged cochleas get the cochlear implant.

In your case, the temporal bones are not transmitting vibrations to your cochlea, so you have the Baha, which somewhat 'replaces' the temporal bones. Sounds are converted to vibrations and transferred to your cochlea.

The cochlear implant is basically a set of wires that sends electrical impulses to the cochlea's nerves via 22 electrodes, thereby bypassing the outer and middle ear parts. Your cochlea is shaped like a snail shell, so the CI electrode tip is curly and wraps around.

My ENT has real samples of temporal bones and cochleas in his office, all encased in plastic. It is amazing how these little bones can transmit frequencies.

In spite of some peoples' opinions, you have to admit that these inventions are ingenious.

its not silly hell i dont even know a BAHA but the CI is to do with the cochlear thats the part of the ear inside, shape like snails shells it has millions of hair/nerves which moves to signals sounds to the brain.
if the BAHA does not involve cochlear, then its not a CI... an implant its like what that electrode planted inside , hence 'implant'
ok hope this help, btw what IS BAHA? any one explain// maybe id google it...

BAHA stands for: Bone Anchored Hearing Aid.

It's mostly used for people with single-sided deafness or those who, for whatever reason, cannot benefit from wearing behind the ear hearing aids.

I'd rather send you to a source, than paraphrase and possibly send false information. (even though I have one, I'm no expert. My parents got it for my birthday one year and I just benefit from the thing!)

I'll just link you to the wiki-page and "official page" - that's another reason I was confused, the official BAHA page is on CochlearAmerica's webpage.

I see why you were confused and Cochlear does sell other products and one additional product Cochlear makes is artificial outer ears that will match the face for people that do not have one for whatever reason.

BAHA stands for: Bone Anchored Hearing Aid.

It's mostly used for people with single-sided deafness or those who, for whatever reason, cannot benefit from wearing behind the ear hearing aids.

I'd rather send you to a source, than paraphrase and possibly send false information. (even though I have one, I'm no expert. My parents got it for my birthday one year and I just benefit from the thing!)

I'll just link you to the wiki-page and "official page" - that's another reason I was confused, the official BAHA page is on CochlearAmerica's webpage.

Back