"This job will require a hearing person. Deaf can't."

I will eventually, but I want to get an esthetician license first. It's not something I can work on right now anyway. In a couple/few years, but that is the plan.

Wow....my employers have asked for a copy of my audiogram. Unreal...like they have the medical background to understand it. This has got to a new low...and the first federal agency I've worked for to request it. Hard to understand why people can get away with so much.....

Wow....my employers have asked for a copy of my audiogram. Unreal...like they have the medical background to understand it. This has got to a new low...and the first federal agency I've worked for to request it. Hard to understand why people can get away with so much.....
Did you ask them what for?

Did you ask them what for?

Yes, I did and I mentioned that this is the first agency to challenge me on the extent of my deafness. As a doctor of mine recently asked me "what makes them think they even know how to read it?" I'm not going to give it unless asked and in the meantime, I've contacted an audiologist of mine to write a letter spelling out my limitations. Hopefully it arrives soon.

Yeah, I am seeing patterns and it appears to be worsen after Obamacare enacted, but really it appears to be started back in the first year of ADA. These people are getting smarter with legal and found too much loopholes to get away with it, especially greedy insurance agencies. In the last 5 years, I have seen the ugliest MOFO I ever seen when it comes to getting away with.
Damn it, that judicial lady holding that scale is definitely BLIND to the true!

In other word, one can say NOTHING, not even a sound, that judicial lady only can hear, but can not see nothing... could make a case if she hears, but since she heard nothing and can not see nothing as well, therefore there is no merit in that case, case closed!

I think they have gone too far already, perhaps we should start rocking the boat.

Yes, I did and I mentioned that this is the first agency to challenge me on the extent of my deafness. As a doctor of mine recently asked me "what makes them think they even know how to read it?" I'm not going to give it unless asked and in the meantime, I've contacted an audiologist of mine to write a letter spelling out my limitations. Hopefully it arrives soon.
Is there an union for those federal employees?

Is there an union for those federal employees?

There is but not in Boston for the office where I'm looking to transfer. I'm actually shocked that they had the audacity to request proof. I mentioned that I'm not wearing $6,150.00 in my ears for a fashion statement. Maybe they think I'll grow out of it or I wear them for sympathy? The union guy recommended that I don't transfer which isn't much help. This is one of the most liberal agency in federal service, but it's funny how liberals stop being liberal, when it affects their bottom line.....

Cp, its just the beginning... I am sure they will bang the ADA door soon, hopefully wake them up. This one, may have a merit in that case, easier to find evidences at school than if it were at job where boss tend to come up with bogus excuse.

I hope that no one minds my asking but a thought occurred to me... is there any services that would specifically help people in the HOH community get jobs? If not, it sounds like a good idea to me. Because that is not fair.

Cp, its just the beginning... I am sure they will bang the ADA door soon, hopefully wake them up. This one, may have a merit in that case, easier to find evidences at school than if it were at job where boss tend to come up with bogus excuse.
What bothers me is that whether or not our President (Obama) is aware of those issues deaf people are having. I believe if he finds out about it, he's pissed off and might do something about it. In the back of my mind, he doesn't know yet. I blame everything on NAD.

I hope that no one minds my asking but a thought occurred to me... is there any services that would specifically help people in the HOH community get jobs? If not, it sounds like a good idea to me. Because that is not fair.

It would be wonderful if they did. Most people have no clue about the limitations of the deaf/HOH community....and they have no clue about what we're capable of. They find out about a disability and make assumptions about that person in a heart beat, usually false assumptions. I've noticed from my own experience in the job market that people with invisible disabilities: hearing, learning, etc., always seem to fall through the loop holes and miss out on securing gainful employment.

FYI, president really can't do much because it is "Small issue" He would refer to ADA agencies and let them deal with it. Have you wondering why president has cabinet members, that is to manage all shit going on so that president don't have to do everything alone.

The problem Im seeing in the last 5 years is that justice appears to be audible dependent and they don't depend on what they sees. I have been in court a bunch of times and have seen enough to understand what is really going on in judicial system when it comes to dealing with Deaf.

ADA is just another bunch of attornies trying to assist disabled one though judicial system, they know inside and out of Judicial system and would assist in fighting a case when they HEAR it clearly, so meaning even if they see the case clearly but couldn't hear the case, they would throw case into shredder chute.

What bothers me is that whether or not our President (Obama) is aware of those issues deaf people are having. I believe if he finds out about it, he's pissed off and might do something about it. In the back of my mind, he doesn't know yet. I blame everything on NAD.

Lau2046, I get what you mean. Sometimes lately my health issues they tend to interfere with my work, but I'm usually pretty good about hiding it until recently. There are some things that I don't say during a job interview. It's irritating. But for HOH, seriously in most cases employers don't understand that the modifications for a job aren't all that bad. They can be solved with mirrors and signals, and something to write with if communication is required. It would be nice if there was a program to act as an advocate for a fair chance, hopefully bypassing discrimination. Schools are required to meet certain ethnicity percentage requirements, work places are required to hire both sexes in most situations, it's surprising that this hasn't come up.

It would be wonderful if they did. Most people have no clue about the limitations of the deaf/HOH community....and they have no clue about what we're capable of. They find out about a disability and make assumptions about that person in a heart beat, usually false assumptions. I've noticed from my own experience in the job market that people with invisible disabilities: hearing, learning, etc., always seem to fall through the loop holes and miss out on securing gainful employment.

Yeah, sometimes I think its so bad that even your own union is just as bad....

I was working with someone who has cerebral palsy and he cannot move his legs or hands.

I warned him about scam jobs that go online and say they are one thing and they end up being another (Lord knows back in the day I went to plenty of scam and scam door to door sales interviews) and he ended up going and the manager came out instantly saying the job was not for him and not get off the ADA bus.

Of course my friend was pissed and talking about doing an ADA Compliant it took me and some friends of his to explain that place will most likely disappear in a month or so. He went on to go to three other Bogus interviews but now he is more prepared and armed for actual interviews

Back