This is so Exciting

Crystal71

Reaction score
Okay, this is the first time I've "met" so many people similar to me... so many stories that I've experienced to a degree or can totally relate with. It's amazing.. why don't HoH who relate to Deaf/Hearing live near me??

So, who am I.... My name is Crystal and I live in California. I am 35, divorced, two hearing children, and student (ASL III, Deaf Culture, and Algebra Intermediate) I originally planned to go forward with a degree in Sociology;however, my major changed when God touched my heart about the Deaf children. Having went to hearing schools, I know what it is to be mainstreamed. I had very little help other then speech therapy. An issue I am still dealing with... I am also finding it difficult as an adult to assimilate into Deaf Culture... because I am less fluent in Sign then the Deaf.. also hardly any time with studies to regularly attend Deaf events. Most are held on Wed and I am hard core into my church...

Why am I here...because I am tired of being in the middle of different worlds with no idea how to fit anywhere...then I opened up this site and WOW...i'm like you.. how cool is that..

Crystal :afro:

Okay, this is the first time I've "met" so many people similar to me... so many stories that I've experienced to a degree or can totally relate with. It's amazing.. why don't HoH who relate to Deaf/Hearing live near me??

So, who am I.... My name is Crystal and I live in California. I am 35, divorced, two hearing children, and student (ASL III, Deaf Culture, and Algebra Intermediate) I originally planned to go forward with a degree in Sociology;however, my major changed when God touched my heart about the Deaf children. Having went to hearing schools, I know what it is to be mainstreamed. I had very little help other then speech therapy. An issue I am still dealing with... I am also finding it difficult as an adult to assimilate into Deaf Culture... because I am less fluent in Sign then the Deaf.. also hardly any time with studies to regularly attend Deaf events. Most are held on Wed and I am hard core into my church...

Why am I here...because I am tired of being in the middle of different worlds with no idea how to fit anywhere...then I opened up this site and WOW...i'm like you.. how cool is that..

Welcome to alldeaf.com! I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

:welcome: to AD!

I went thru the exactly same thing as u did as a profoundly deaf person since birth. There are many people in the Deaf community that are like us..grew up orally, learned ASL later and now are actively involved in the Deaf community. :)

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! It's cooool that you're here-- ;) Hope you'll enjoy your stay here as well!

:wave:
~RR

Hi Crystal and welcome to alldeaf!

Like you, I am a Christian. However, I attend church when I want to, but only Sundays; I used to be like you and in church Sunday am, pm and Wednesday nights. No more of that! You will find that you also need a life outside of church and you will burn out if you're constantly having to attend. You're already a parent, as well as attending college and an occasional deaf event. You have a full plate, as do I because I'm in college, too. I also have a hearing dog; the Deaf community where I live doesn't even talk to me because, as I was told by one member "I'm too oral" which explains why they don't talk to me. Oh well, their loss. Focus on your studies and don't let your church put a guilt trip on you because you're not in church every time the doors are open. Yeah, I've also been in the ministry for 18 years as a lay person and am out because my nerves are shot (Christian people).

I was also mainstreamed, although my mother wanted me to attend the deaf school here in Minnesota, but my dad thought it would cost him money (out of his deer hunting pocket). I have very good speech, which made it difficult for the teachers to believe I was deaf.

May I share a little bit of advice with you in regard to church? This is what I learned (probably the only thing taught) in a "Christian" college: Priorities. God always comes first. Then your family. Then the will of God (that's called church attendance). On the second one, your education falls into because it is for your family and you have to have a means of support to provide for them. What good is it to constantly be in church and you and your children are not cared for?

:welcome: Enjoy your stay and I hope you will find a lot more information from Alldeaf.com... like I have since 2003. :thumb: Take it easy!

Back