'This is Alabama...We Speak English'....

Honestly I don't see how declaring English as the official language of the U.S. would make anyone feel any more "unified."

Honestly I don't see how declaring English as the official language of the U.S. would make anyone feel any more "unified."

it will when everybody is speaking a common language and get heard. Look at China with dozens of different languages and ethnicities. They solved it with a common language - Mandarin.

and the certain minority group gets treated like second class citizens with racism and injustice because they can't do anything about it since they don't speak our language and their cries for help fall on deaf ear. Do you think the black people would get the justice if Martin Luther King speaks mainly African or Spanish and little English?

The states are paying the driving exams in different languages so if they want make English only on driving exam so time for them to set the English course that related to driving course.

It is from our taxpayers.
You mean me. :) I would have to pay for their English courses.

Thanks for being so generous with my money.

Are you willing to pay for their classes, too?

I didn't say declaring it would but using it would.

Wirelessly posted

What's more cost-efficient?

English classes for immigrants, or translated exams? At the expense of taxpayers, of course. :hmm:

The first would cut down on potential accidents and lawsuits;

but the latter...

you don't have to pay for a staff of ESL teachers running a class for every language, and you only have to translate the exams once per language per revision.

Quite a pickle we find ourselves in.

Oh wait, driving is a privilge, not a right.

Wirelessly posted

And if someone argue they need a car for work, well-- the more people that need to use public transit.. the better services will be provided, and better intrastructure to boost.

You mean me. :) I would have to pay for their English courses.

Thanks for being so generous with my money.

Are you willing to pay for their classes, too?

I was taxpayer too before I resigned the job in last Jan.

Who is paying for take driving exam in different languages? Of course, it was from taxpayers and some of federal funding so should used for free English course that related to driving course if you want English only on driving exam.

It should be up to state.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. In my state, a judge can take away a driver's license for failure to pay child support. Actually, the judge can take away ANY type of license. It's the big stick for enforcing child support payments.

I was taxpayer too before I resigned the job in last Jan.

Who is paying for take driving exam in different languages? Of course, it was from taxpayers and some of federal funding so should used for free English course that related to driving course if you want English only on driving exam.

It should be up to state.
The DMV also charges fees for testing and licenses.

But that would be discriminatory. So....

I don't think so because it cost more to have in different languages on driving exam.

Some people said that English only driving exam is part of discriminatory. *shrugs*

Charging people personally on needing an exam in a different language is like charging a Deaf person for needing an interpreter. And not offering different language exams is like not offering an interpreter at all.

They should just raise the fees all around slightly to cover the cost of making foreign-language exams. If it's spread out enough the raise in cost will be barely noticeable.

Wirelessly posted

CJB said:
Charging people personally on needing an exam in a different language is like charging a Deaf person for needing an interpreter. And not offering different language exams is like not offering an interpreter at all.

They should just raise the fees all around slightly to cover the cost of making foreign-language exams. If it's spread out enough the raise in cost will be barely noticeable.

That's the problem.
People who see the budget thinks they can get a surplus if the fee remains the same, and eliminate the programs that caused those fees to go up.

I don't know how much of the fee is inflated to cover the multilingual programs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the government lost sight of that when they're considering slashing bits and pieces. Something's wrong if fees, taxes and so on don't go down with budget cuts.

Wirelessly posted

That's the problem.
People who see the budget thinks they can get a surplus if the fee remains the same, and eliminate the programs that caused those fees to go up.

I don't know how much of the fee is inflated to cover the multilingual programs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the government lost sight of that when they're considering slashing bits and pieces. Something's wrong if fees, taxes and so on don't go down with budget cuts.

I can understand that. I can't imagine printing exams in a few extra languages would cost that much on the grand scale, though.

When my family moved here from Germany during WW1 they integrated and learned english. We have become so PC that our country is becoming saturated with trivial PC laws and have lost focus as to what it is to be a true American. If i were to move to France, Italy, Egypt, China, or anywhere else in the world It would be expected of me to learn the native tounge. Why can't we expect the same here?

Back