Thinking out loud?

apkeats26

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day, which is something that I do every now and then. And I was wondering how does a deaf person think of words? For me, when I think of a word, or type things out, I "Mentally hear" the word in my head. When somebody is completely deaf, do you think of the sign instead?

Interesting.
it is like asking "Do you dream in color?" and at first you gotta really think about it until you recall scenes in dreams where you say OF COURSE.
It is that hesitation that makes us doubt ourselves, to wonder, to dream within a dream, or many dreams, who the heck nows?
Sometimes I hear in my dreams and other times I do not.
It is said that when you FLY in your dreams, you are confident that day, but I wonder what it means to hear/not hear in dreams?
Gotta pay more attention to dreams now, thanks for this post.

Interesting question :)

For me when I think of a word, I usually think of it phonetically (sounded out as it is spelled) or a visual picture of the spelling. Perhaps it is because I am considered orally deaf. But there has been times when I'm involved within the deaf community (i.e. at deaf camps, or working with ASL users), I mentally think in signs, too.

Sweet_KJ said:
Interesting question :)

For me when I think of a word, I usually think of it phonetically (sounded out as it is spelled) or a visual picture of the spelling. Perhaps it is because I am considered orally deaf. But there has been times when I'm involved within the deaf community (i.e. at deaf camps, or working with ASL users), I mentally think in signs, too.

Yep, I agree with SweetKJ. Though more often than not I think it out phonetically. It's not always easy for me to think in signs. And I am not orally deaf. I guess it's different for each person.

*thinking*

This thread sucks!

Oops! Did I just say that out loud? My bad! ;)

Just kidding!

Seriously, I rarely think out loud. Sometimes, thinking out loud is like distracting myself so I usually avoid it. :thumb:

Nawwww, I think in words...and sometimes I think out loud...and yes, that was me walking by, head shaking, muttering "gosh damn it." LOL.

It helps that I don't know how to sign that.

Malfoyish said:
Nawwww, I think in words...and sometimes I think out loud...and yes, that was me walking by, head shaking, muttering "gosh damn it." LOL.

It helps that I don't know how to sign that.

:lol: I do the same thing -- sometimes I carry conversations with myself just to see how I sign or say the words, etc. :Oops: :lol: Sounds silly reading about me talking to myself! ;)
Since I'm still practising AUSLAN, I sign in private to ensure that I got the signs right and to keep me up with my original home ASL as I haven't signed ASL all that much since moving to Australia. :P Don't want to become rusty signing ASL when I go back to the States, eheheh!

:lol: Malfoyish, I do that sometimes too, I shake my head and muttering ' God, Damn It '.....Opps! :Oops:

So how can you think of the words phonetically when you have never heard them?

For me, I can think of words loud in my mind, or photographic mode, too...in general I have a photographic memory. I think out loud when I'm typing sometimes, or without thinking. When I dream, it's really musical and loud, nothing quiet about it, with lots of background sounds, too.

apkeats26 said:

Well, I think some Deaf people have at one point in their lives been taught what words "sound" like by placing their hands on the speech therapist's throat or lips and on their own for comparsion. I've heard some words because I was born hearing and still 'remember' sounds before I became Deaf, and have and am using hearing devices (CI for me, Hearing Aides in the past)

I say phonetically because some English words aren't pronounced phonetically at all so the Deaf person would think in sounds of how it's spelled, like "sew" is "Sssss-eeewwww" in our minds while in reality it is pronounced as "sow" I know how some words are really pronounced but other words I just make up the pronuncation based on its spelling.

apkeats26 said:
Well we can read so therefore we think of the words.....we dont have to "hear " them , you know what im saying?

I guess I think about words as I would say them...almost as if I am speaking them in my mind? Hard to explain...hmm I have never really thought about this, ha :D I know I don't think about words in sign, that I can say with certainity.

This reminds me of last week in ASL class. One of the girls asked the teacher if he dreamt in sign, and then that brought up a whole conversation about everyone starting to dream in sign cuz they were learning it...it was funny! I don't dream in sign...actually I don't even remember how I dream conversation...just the visuals. Hmmm.

apkeats26 said:
I was thinking the other day, which is something that I do every now and then. And I was wondering how does a deaf person think of words? For me, when I think of a word, or type things out, I "Mentally hear" the word in my head. When somebody is completely deaf, do you think of the sign instead?
Wow, I have never thought of that. That's an awesome thought! For me, I always think of "words" when I'm thinking for myself. But if I saw someone signing it to me in reality, then I think of what they signed in my mind over and over. If I lipread someone talking to me, then I think of their lips moving to make words coming out. If I see words from the internet, then I think of these words like I actually see in reality. Do I make sense here?

Back