Thinking of getting a new truck...

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I'm interested in a 1997-2000 Dodge Dakota, 1996-2000 Dodge Ram, and 1997-2000 F150/F250. I'm more interested in long bed for my bike business. I have had a lot of bad lucks with Ford E150/E250/E350 vans so no more of this. I also saw a lot of Ram Maxi 15 passenger vans on side of road so I don't want one of those either.

I'm interested mostly in your experience of owning one of those or if you knew people who owned those rigs(Dakota, F series, or Ram pick ups). I have read consumer report and reviews on them. I'm more of looking for personal experience, you know.

I have 2006 F-250 Harley Edition Powerstroke TurboDiesel, and I have owned it for a year already and I love it! It keeps stroking without any issues. I have not had single regret traded with my old Jeep Wrangler. Jeep Wrangler is good, but the problem is it can't haul much, can't have my family in it and haul anything like my truck can. I can bring my whole family, yet can haul anything I want.

Problem is, it is NOT cheap to own it.

I personally will NEVER own GM mini truck. They aren't as good as it used to be during 80's

Just haul firewood without any issues, and Im going haul more for myself and my friends.

I don't think brand really matters. From what I see now is that who built them. Some years they got bad team which result poor quality vehicles and other years they got great team ended up great vehicle so, it is hard to predict which will come out good or lemon.

DHB

I'm interested in a 1997-2000 Dodge Dakota, 1996-2000 Dodge Ram, and 1997-2000 F150/F250. I'm more interested in long bed for my bike business. I have had a lot of bad lucks with Ford E150/E250/E350 vans so no more of this. I also saw a lot of Ram Maxi 15 passenger vans on side of road so I don't want one of those either.

I'm interested mostly in your experience of owning one of those or if you knew people who owned those rigs(Dakota, F series, or Ram pick ups). I have read consumer report and reviews on them. I'm more of looking for personal experience, you know.

Thank you very much. I wish I would afford a 2006, but I cannot. That is why I am looking at 1997-2000 models.

mods, please move this to auto section, not sports section. Thanks.

Then stay away from GM mini trucks, they are just plain junk. I had Chevy and GMC S series truck, both has issue with engine and tranny. WTF? Friend of mine had great experience with Ford Ranger, and that was 90's model.

I was very impressed with Frontier on how it handles off road very well. Im not sure about the quality itself.

About Dakota, I never own one and I wouldn't recommend Dakota for off road because doing so will cause intensive damage to 4 wheel drive. I witness done. I m not sure about quality of that Dakota. I got mixed feedback on this one as well.

Again, I believe that it has nothing to do with Make/model. It has to do with who build these vehicles.

Thank you very much. I wish I would afford a 2006, but I cannot. That is why I am looking at 1997-2000 models.

Done. :)

What I really want is a vehicle that has a lot of room and I can put a lot of bikes in it. I had thought about a 15 passenger Dodge Ram Maxi van from late 1990s. However, my f riend told me that they have a lot of transmission problem and is pretty $$ to fix. That is why I thought F150/F250 would be an ideal candidate.

Not worried about 4x4 or off roading stuffs. Would be nice to have 4wd for winter, but not needed.

Have u thought about buying whichever truck you feel comfortable in, and just buy a trailer to haul the.bikes? I bought a 5x10 trailer and transport 4 adult dirt.bikes comfortably .. they go from small to large sizes. I bought the enclosed one so I wouldn't need to unload the bikes and store when done.. but while shopping for one, saw many types and just an idea.

If u bought a used open trailer 6x12 I saw them for 500 to 1k on Craigslist so if the vehicle has a tow hitch. Ur good to go.

Why you hate E150-E350?

We had them in Fleet with 60K to 300K miles. Mostly are cause fault by people who abused and not maintain.

I prefer F150 with 5.4L NO NO 4.2L V6 it worst engine.

I had few mid 1990s E 150-E350 vans and they broke down on me. The 1989 E150 van was good, but the newer ones all broke down on me.

What kind of engine? how often you change a spark plug, ATF, motor oil, and fuel filter?

I believe they are 5.0L, 5.8L and 7.5L, all OHV engines, few problems, change spark plugs at approx 30K, ATF at annual or bi-annual, motor oil at 3K and fuel filter at bi-annual.

I believe they are 5.0L, 5.8L and 7.5L, all OHV engines, few problems, change spark plugs at approx 30K, ATF at annual or bi-annual, motor oil at 3K and fuel filter at bi-annual.

What poster say 90's

It could be 1990-1999?

They had 4.2L V6, 4.9L 6 inline, 5.0L V8, 5.4L V8, 5.8L V8, 6.8L V10, 6.9L V8 diesel, 7.3L V8 diesel, and 7.5L V8

That is why I don't want Ford van any more. Too much headache for me.

Tonight, I went out and bought a 1998 Ram with v6.

Dodge : Ram 1500 | eBay

Paid $1800 for it.

Issue is that the heat does not get hot. It does get warm, but not hot. Someone told me that it may be thermostat issue. Heat do blow fine, but not always hot. It is slow to get hot.

Have u thought about buying whichever truck you feel comfortable in, and just buy a trailer to haul the.bikes? I bought a 5x10 trailer and transport 4 adult dirt.bikes comfortably .. they go from small to large sizes. I bought the enclosed one so I wouldn't need to unload the bikes and store when done.. but while shopping for one, saw many types and just an idea.

I am not sure how to back up trailer. I have tried and I am not good with backing up a trailer. It was fun driving with trailer, but a pain in the butt to back it up.

What poster say 90's

It could be 1990-1999?

They had 4.2L V6, 4.9L 6 inline, 5.0L V8, 5.4L V8, 5.8L V8, 6.8L V10, 6.9L V8 diesel, 7.3L V8 diesel, and 7.5L V8

Yes, I forget about 4.9L 6 in-line. My tired brain. I think the last 5.0L OHV V8 engine production was in 2002 or 2003. I can't recall other Ford OHV engines.

That is why I don't want Ford van any more. Too much headache for me.

Tonight, I went out and bought a 1998 Ram with v6.

Dodge : Ram 1500 | eBay

Paid $1800 for it.

Issue is that the heat does not get hot. It does get warm, but not hot. Someone told me that it may be thermostat issue. Heat do blow fine, but not always hot. It is slow to get hot.

Good. 3.9L OHV V6 I think. Good motor/tranny. I think your gamble on used truck is right choice. Good luck.

Good. 3.9L OHV V6 I think. Good motor/tranny. I think your gamble on used truck is right choice. Good luck.

Thank you. I am not looking to haul. I need something big enough to carry bikes. I don't need v8 to carry bikes. That is why I went for v6. I'm glad that you like my choice. I've heard that 1998 is a good year for Dodge Ram. I hope it holds true with my new rig.

Back