Thinking of getting a new CI

DeafGirl12

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been thinking about getting CI for the first time but I just wondering if that had a pains or no pains after the surgery. I know it's risky to have that but my hearing aids getting me so confused to hear better and better everyday and gotten get used to it. The older hearing aids, that i likes the best one is volume control higher a bit up and it's good to hear them talking and everything else expect the phone, I cannot hear them talking and asking the repeats again.

I just wondering if CI is better or worse? what it's like in the CI on your ear or both ears? I prefer on my left ear to hear it better than the right ear ( the right ear is not doing so good at all since I was about 12 or something like that).

Also, what color of the CI? I wasn't sure of the color of the skins of the CI.

Thanks!

<<<<<just look at my pro (for my previous posting) and my sig, you will find all the answers there

There are 3 different CI companies (Cochlear, Advanced Bionics, and Med-El), and they have their own colors and designs of the processors. Check them out. As for pain, there will be some pain as it is surgery, but it should be controlled with pain meds, and get better within a few days.

As to pain I guess it's individual tolerance, I did not even need/use tynenol or anything else at all. A small discomfort for a day or two and that was it. As to phone use, no guarantee that you will be able to use phone even with CI. Some can and do and others don't. I do fairly well with induction loop and improving all the time. I now have two CI's and it does take quite some time to really adjust and maybe that has a lot to do with age. I'm a young 80. As to making decisions, I would do it again in a heart beat! I think I'm one of the lucky ones? What ever decision you make it will be right for you. One size does not fit all.

Thank you for the post on my threads..

My mother went check it out on the site that I send it to her email and she finds it very interesting to see the Cochlear Implants and she is going to call and make appointment for me in Halifax so see how it went. My three deaf friends who have a CI and loving on every moments of their daily life so that will be me next! lol..

I won't worry about the pains so it will takes me a couple of days so it should be fine then :) so I might to take Advil for the pains so it should be slow down with the pain..

I went to check out on the site last night and thought it was pretty cool to see the interesting things in there and so much more features..(this one is always good choice that I makes!)..Nucleus 5 is really, really good and having a better hearing world out there. and I read their few stories on Video and it was so cool to see them so happy and enjoying of their own hearing world!

Well, Advil is stronger that I can do it lol..It's only takes me a an hour half or so it will be quick I guess.

the surgeon will prescribe a painkiller of some sort for you to take after surgery to help with the pain. After a couple of days or so, you could probably manage the pain just fine with advil until the pain is gone.

That would be fine! I don't mind taking the painkillers for my poor pains lol..it only takes me a couple of days to settle the pains down so it should be okayish! :)

Thanks for the tips!

That would be fine! I don't mind taking the painkillers for my poor pains lol..it only takes me a couple of days to settle the pains down so it should be okayish! :)

Thanks for the tips!
honestly who cares about the pain at the moment. Just be sure you are willing to work HARD to learn to hear with the CI. Its not just boom, surgery, implant, turn on and hear right away.

baseballboy is right. It will take a lot of work and effort to learn all the sounds and making sense of what you are hearing. Get through the evaluation first, find out if you are indeed a candidate. Then go from there.

oohh, thats takes me a lots of hard work to get right hearing for me wowowow! lol

I have to get used to it right after my surgery in December maybe, I would be able to hear it good or bad..we'll shall see about it! :)

The hard work re Cochlear Implants is all the sounds you didn't hear before. Item: for me: hearing myself walk down the street and not thinking-someone is following me. Yeah-silly isn't it?
The length of time one was DEAF-silence-to Implantation. The longer period -more time needed to get Use to hearing sound-again.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I know it takes a hard work to get used to it and all kinds of sounds like bird chirping, waves, windy, pouring rains, telephone rings, dog barking & all kinds of things of the sounds of the Cochlear Implants so it might be a way better than the hearing aids.

The hearing aids cause for ringing too much and turn off by itself while hearing other things or talking. But I would rather going for CI because it might be a better one for myself and so on. I know the longer periods of the months goes by and I will love it that's for sure!

Cochlear implants are to be considered ONLY if Hearing aids are of "no value"- hearing wise. The question becomes- is one at that point-DEAF?

Also, can one be "judged suitable" for the operation? I understand from Sunnybrook/Toronto almost 60% of persons "reviewed for Implants were rejected-one reason or other. This is over a 19 years ending last year. At the same time 850 persons were implanted-of which I was one.

Similar statistics in other centres?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I agree with above ^..Not very true just because the cochlear implants are much very powerful hearing and so many more sounds to it. I just think that's your wrong about it..I truly believes that the cochlear has more powerful hearing more than the old hearing aids! Trust me, it won't even go that far! I got sick of hearing aids because it's keep by itself and weird noise and ringing alots when volumes up.

I agree with above ^..Not very true just because the cochlear implants are much very powerful hearing and so many more sounds to it. I just think that's your wrong about it..I truly believes that the cochlear has more powerful hearing more than the old hearing aids! Trust me, it won't even go that far! I got sick of hearing aids because it's keep by itself and weird noise and ringing alots when volumes up.

Hope you're looking into using it as a tool, not depend on it.

I am not sure exactly what is "incorrect" about the statements re Sunnybrook/Toronto experience over the time frame mentioned? The information came from the coordinator at a recent Cochlear Implant patients meeting. The next meeting is November 13, 2011, Probably updated info.
Again just one location- very specific. Whether somewhere else "statistics" are different--not debated by me. Doesn't change Sunnybrook's experience.

Cochlear Implantation is not exactly something done "casually"- to say the least.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Back