Things sound Terrible

set2

Reaction score
I have been noticing lately that with my current hearing aids things are sounding terrible. It seems to have gotten worse the last couple of months.
Things sound scratchy and distorted. Music is the worst. I am going to get new ear moulds and hearing aids in the new year. Is there anything I should ask the audiologist to do for this?

Get your hearing checked again. Sounds like your hearing may have changed. Depending on your hearing results, the audi then can recommend what kind of HAs to try.

Well before I answer that (however I can't be of any help but), have you had a hearing test with the audiologist?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I did have my hearing checked about 3 weeks ago and I was told the results were "about" the same as when I had my hearing checked in September after having problems with wax and itchy ears. I did get some new ear moulds in October but I noticed the distortion before that. I also have had more tinnitus in my right ear which is the worst one and it is also the one that has the most distortion. With the tinnitus I never know what I am going to get it is amazing the variety of "noise" I get with the tinnitus.

Thanks for the advice. I did have my hearing checked about 3 weeks ago and I was told the results were "about" the same as when I had my hearing checked in September after having problems with wax and itchy ears. I did get some new ear moulds in October but I noticed the distortion before that. I also have had more tinnitus in my right ear which is the worst one and it is also the one that has the most distortion. With the tinnitus I never know what I am going to get it is amazing the variety of "noise" I get with the tinnitus.

I suggest that you get your hearing checked AGAIN.

I agree with the others about getting your hearing checked again. When I experienced the same symptoms that you described above I suffered a hearing loss so it's best to rule it out.

I also concuer that you nead your hearing to be re-checked, I also think you should go to the ENT and make shure thier is nothing more medical like a blockage, or something.

Hearing aids

Set2,

You did not mention if you have programmable hearing aids.

For me, I have an extreme fluctuating hearing loss which drives me crazy. Some days I can hear almost perfect and hours to days later, I can't understand a single spoken word without totally relying on reading lips.

My experience although yours doesn't seam as severe is have my audi give me several different programs set up for my various documented losses and then just set the base volume loud enough that I can turn it either down or up depending on if I'm having a good or bad day.

A couple months ago, I would have described my hearing much like what you mentioned. Very raspy, rough and extremely difficult to understand. One of the Audi's re-programmed the individual frequency gains and totally eliminated the raspy, rough sounds where I could hear almost like I never had a hearing loss. Unfortunately due to the above extreme fluctuation, the program quit offering me help the next morning but at least I learned that the digital aids can be programmed to remove that unwanted distortion.

My recommendation although I am by no means a Dr. or Audi would be to request a hearing test and have the aid programmed to the new test. Also, keep track of the words or sylables you have a trouble with. Audi's should be able to understand what you are saying and they should also know what actions are needed to clear it up for you.

If you don't have digital programmable aids. I would really encourage the investment. I only had one loaner analog aid and it was probably the most difficult situation I have been in since I was unable to communicate with others.

I feel for you and totally understand where you are coming from.
Be persistant with the Audi, just not pushy. They can help you so much.

Good luck,
Steve

I have been noticing lately that with my current hearing aids things are sounding terrible. It seems to have gotten worse the last couple of months.
Things sound scratchy and distorted. Music is the worst. I am going to get new ear moulds and hearing aids in the new year. Is there anything I should ask the audiologist to do for this?

have you had them sent in and checked? sometimes the little speaker thing gets cracked (think listening to a radio/stereo that has speakers damaged from turning the volume way up and the membrane cracks) and even tho they test fine you hear the distortion. (had this happen a couple times only seemed to get fixed when I had them send them in) then again if you're going to get new ones it might just bee better to start that process now so you can get the new ones just after the first of the year. no need to spend the money getting them fixed if they're old and you plan on getting new ones,

In addition to Jag's comments, I'd also like to suggest that you check the microphone and/or amplifier in your HAs. I had a pair of digital HAs that sounded distorted (actually more distorted than usual) and the cause was due to a damaged microphone and amplifier that stopped working after it was exposed to the cold. Good luck! Hope you're able to find a solution that works for you! :)

Back