Thick walled tubing

djchur

Reaction score
Recently my audi changed the tubing in my HAs from standard tubing to thick walled tubing, because I was having problems with feedback. Since getting the new thick walled tubing everything sounds a bit different and I wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

From what I understand, thicker tubing tends to absorb more sound than standard tubing.

Can you explain how the sounds you hear are different?

I wish I could share my experiences, but I've never used any other kind of tubing besides the standard variety.

There just seems to be more echoes, more in the right ear, my better ear. If the thick walled tubing absorbs more sound I suppose that would make sense. I'm going back to see the audi next week, so I'll see what she says then.

There just seems to be more echoes, more in the right ear, my better ear.

I have no idea how you would correct that problem besides shortening the tubing a little. Let us know what your audi recommends. Good luck.

I also have worn thick wall tubing for the high gain hearing aids that I have worn all my life. You can like the others have said adjust the length or check the length of the tubing that goes into the ear mold. I usually have the tubing go all the way to the other end of the ear mold to reduce my chance of feedback even further.

Thanks for your suggestions, I have the tubing going all the way through the ear moulds, I'll see what my audi says next week.

Thick tubing that you can find at hobby stores last MUCH longer than the ones that audiologist provides. I have had that done long time ago when the tubing wore out.

When I had HA , I always used thick tubing , as that enabled me to hear richer , better. so u got me perplexed with your take.Although I always had mine tube pretty short.I used to change it every two to three months.

I have thick wall tubing and no complaint. I thought it better for no feedback with high gain hearing aids.

I went to see the audi again this morning and he said the problem I was having with echoes was my right HA not being set quite right, so he fiddled with it a bit and now it seems OK. Seems it probably wasn't the tubing after all.

The problem with the NHS in Britain is you see a different audi every time you go, and they all seem to have a different take on what might be causing you problems. Besides which, you have to explain through the whole problem again to each person you see.

Thank you all for your comments though.

I went to see the audi again this morning and he said the problem I was having with echoes was my right HA not being set quite right, so he fiddled with it a bit and now it seems OK. Seems it probably wasn't the tubing after all.

The problem with the NHS in Britain is you see a different audi every time you go, and they all seem to have a different take on what might be causing you problems. Besides which, you have to explain through the whole problem again to each person you see.

Thank you all for your comments though.

Yeah thats right, no one knows you well enough to give perfect setting, they just look at audiogram then tune the HA and say that'll do then off you go like a conveyer belt!! No time to adjust properly, the waiting list to see a audi is astromical! At least 8 weeks and it's same for ear mould to be made, by 8 weeks your ears probably would have changed!
I am glad i have CI as I have and still have a same Audi since i was switched on and there's at least 10 CI audiologists in the centre. She also sorts my HA out. I can see her within a week and most of time it's next day, ear moulds are made within a week too.

I have thick tubing too. When my ear mould arrives at my address they come with thin tubing I often go to the centre and they change it for me and cut the tubing for me since i don't have my mum to do it anymore :)cry:).

Yeah thats right, no one knows you well enough to give perfect setting, they just look at audiogram then tune the HA and say that'll do then off you go like a conveyer belt!!

You're so right, I was only in there for ten minutes!!!

Back