They call themselves parents?!

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
How can these "parents" do such an awful thing to their own child? It's sickening. They put more value on their "honor" than they do they own daughter's life. :mad:

ISLAMABAD – A Pakistani couple accused of killing their 15-year-old daughter by pouring acid on her carried out the attack because she sullied the family's honor by looking at a boy, the couple said in an interview broadcast Monday by the BBC.

The girl's death underlines the problem of so-called "honor killings" in Pakistan where women are often killed for marrying or having relationships not approved by their families or because they are perceived to have somehow dishonored their family.

The girl's parents, Mohammad Zafar and his wife Zaheen, recounted the Oct. 29 incident from jail. The father said the girl had turned to look at a boy who drove by on a motorcycle, and he told her it was wrong.

"She said `I didn't do it on purpose. I won't look again.' By then I had already thrown the acid. It was her destiny to die this way," the girl's mother told the British broadcaster.

Television footage of the couple showed them standing behind bars in separate, but adjoining jail cells.

The father said the family had already come under public censure because of their older daughter's behavior, but he did not detail what exactly he meant.
Pakistani officials initially said the attack occurred because the girl supposedly had an affair with a boy....

Read more: Pakistani parents say they killed 15-year-old daughter with acid for eyeing boy | Fox News

Omgosh. That's vile and beyond my comprehension of how this girl's parents allows this to happen. Since it occurred in Pakistan, I wouldn't be surprised that the parents are possibly muslim/islam because that religion is known to value honor killings.

If this country values these "honor killings", I wonder why the parents are in jail.....

If this country values these "honor killings", I wonder why the parents are in jail.....
I'm guessing that the official policy of the Pakistani government (in accordance with Human Rights Commission and UN) is that honor killings are illegal. If the crime happened in public and someone made a report, the government officials would have to follow up and make arrests. Of course, arrest doesn't always mean conviction. That might be another story.

Probably, the official stance is against honor killings but the public still supports the killings. They are also probably difficult to prosecute and get convictions. Friends and family probably back up the parents in their testimonies.

Changing the laws isn't enough. The people really need a change of heart before the honor killings go away.

Changing the laws isn't enough. The people really need a change of heart before the honor killings go away.

They have none. Strange that religion that preaches about "Allah, the compassionate and the merciful," has no mercy for women and children.

Laura

Makes me grateful to be an American where I can exercise my freedom. I hope justice will be served.

They have none. Strange that religion that preaches about "Allah, the compassionate and the merciful," has no mercy for women and children.

Laura

Um just to clarify......these are EXTREME fundies. Not all Muslims are terrorists or evil....
But I do agree that this is extreme....I mean god you wouldn't see this even with Christian Identiy (meaning extreme super fundie) or Operation Rescue or whatever....

Um just to clarify......these are EXTREME fundies. Not all Muslims are terrorists or evil....
But I do agree that this is extreme....I mean god you wouldn't see this even with Christian Identiy (meaning extreme super fundie) or Operation Rescue or whatever....

No..but one would think in a country full of people who claim to be Godly, that women and children would be safe..and yet, they are often the most dangerous countries for women and children. Before prayer they always speak of "Allah, the compassionate and the merciful"...shouldn't countries that base their government on religion (in this case, Islam) be required to extend that mercy and compassion to the most fragile of society? They should, but they clearly don't.

Laura

Laura

Religion using hate disguised as kindness is NOT a new thing. Just saying...

Religion using hate disguised as kindness is NOT a new thing. Just saying...

True, but when I think the mentally disabled girl that the extremists tried to kill for blasphemy, the child that was shot in the head for speaking in defense of girls going to school, and this young child horribly attacked by "loving parents," I think back on something that the former leader of Pakistan, Musharraf asked the religious community in Pakistan with this (now) famous speech, "How does the world look at us?

How does the world look at us?

"The world sees us as backward and constantly going under. Is there any doubt that we have been left behind although we claim Islam will carry us forward in every age, every circumstance and every land? How does the world judge our claim? It looks upon as terrorists. We have been killing each other. And now we want to spread violence and terror abroad. Naturally the world regards us as terrorists. Our claim of tolerance is phony….We never tire of talking about the status that Islam accords to women. We only pay lip-service to its teachings. We do not act upon it. This is hypocrisy."

While you're correct in saying religion and violence is nothing new, in the last century, no other religion can claim as much extreme violence, even against others of the same faith, as Islam....just saying....

Laura

In any instance, in any convention, when you give up reason to a, "higher power" you give up accountability. This is not unique to any one faction.

Back