There's a Deaf Community around here somewhere...

DeafRaptor

Reaction score
If you've seen my earlier posts, you'd have seen that I was born deaf & raised oral. In my post titled "Grew up with Hearing Aids: Are they still right for me?", I talked about reasons I have considered giving up HAs/oralism. I didn't mention that my job could be at stake. I've been having a lot of difficulties at work using HAs & trying to remain oral, but I know my office will offer interpreters when I learn ASL. They just don't have the resources to offer me the language themselves through ASL classes.

Well, I have accepted my deafhood :deaf: (after months of consideration, which had followed decades of trying to be hearing). I know being immersed in ASL/Deaf Community will help me quickly acquire ASL, which is my best shot of keeping my job. In the meantime, I have been taking an ASL "class" online until I figure out what my level is (took ASL in college, but not use in awhile). I have tried finding support groups/Deaf groups to join in my area (Tysons Corner, VA near DC/MD) as I know there is supposed to be a huge Deaf Community in my region, but maybe I am just looking in the wrong areas. The following advocacy groups weren't helpful: ASL for deaf children; equal access for adults whose native language is ASL; & HAs & oralism techniques for late-deafened. I tried finding a mentor, but the Northern Virginia Resource Center (the regional office here that offers services and support to deaf/hh) does NOT have a mentoring program. They only have a workshop for seniors on accepting that you are "hearing impaired" & need HAs, some technology for oral deaf, & a VERY basic ASL class. I found a couple small ASL meetups that meet for maybe an hour every month or so 20 miles away, but I've only met inexperienced ASL users. Do any of you know where I can "find" the Deaf Community here and possibly a mentor. :ty:

Have you tried contacting Gallaudet University?

NOVA Community College also offers ASL classes, including two associate degree programs. Probably you don't need the A.S. degree part; might be a good idea though to contact the department and see if the instructors can give you any good leads.

American Sign Language and English Interpretation :: Northern Virginia Community College

:ty: I was planning on contacting them on Monday. I am already taking a free online course to relearn what I forgot, but I'll check on any groups they have or know of that I can sign with in the meantime. When I finish with the online course I'll know better which course to take at Gallaudet and apply next semester. You're right, I don't need a degree, just the language. :P

Back