There is not any automatic shut to stop the oil!

whatdidyousay!

Reaction score
AMESBURY —" As an estimated 10 million gallons of crude oil makes its way to the Gulf Coast of the United States, threatening untold disaster to wildlife and the area's fishing industry, a familiar sense of doom has come over {I removed the womam name}. , who lives on

It was only five years ago that Hurricane Katrina tore through New Orleans and decimated the theater where --- performed and the dueling piano bar on Bourbon Street where her husband, Jonno, played five nights a week.

Now from her transplanted home in Amesbury, where she and her husband set down new roots, ---has become fixated on the 1 million gallons of oil gushing into the Gulf following an oil rig explosion 120 miles offshore on April 20.

And just as she and her neighbors became numb with fear in the final days before Katrina hit land, she's disturbed to see that familiar look of shock and defeat as Gulf residents face this new ecological threat.

"This may be even worse," ----- said. "I hate saying that because of how many people died in Katrina. But when you have a hurricane — I can't count how many I've been through — it destroys things, but then it's done, and it goes away, and you begin the process of rebuilding. With an oil slick, it sits there, and it continues to be a problem."

-----loves Amesbury, but said she makes frequent trips back to the pristine white sand beaches of the Gulf Coast, where she reconnects with her family and friends still living near her former home in New Orleans, and her native Pensacola, Fla., 200 miles to the east. She revels in all the Gulf states have to offer — crawfish, white herons, sailing trips around Pensacola Bay and Joe Patti's Seafood Co. on South B Street for fresh Gulf shrimp.

But for the second time in five years, ---- is imagining losing those things she and her family hold dear. For the mother of four who dreams of finding her way back to Pensacola, she's pining for the places of her youth that may soon be covered in a toxic and deadly layer of oil. The spill is currently about 90 miles off the coast of Pensacola.

"There is an opportunity for it to really inundate and saturate the area," she said. "The beach is just a barrier island. There are all kinds of ways for the oil to go around it."

Once it rounds the island and covers the beaches, ---- said it's a short trip to Pensacola Bay on the opposite side of the island, where the shipping, sailing and shrimping boats are docked.

"The oil is going to go right down that mouth, and it's going to hit Pensacola Bay — I don't really see how they can stop that," she said. "Once it does that, it will go into the tributaries like Bayou Chico and Bayou Taxar — there's a lot of settlement on that, so lots of houses, lots of pleasure boating, and there are wetland areas where the egrets and herons nest and congregate."

The thought of Pensacola's pristine, unique bayou habitats being covered in oil and what the resulting decline in air quality will do to the ecosystem, is something that keeps --- up at night. And when it comes to placing blame, Deily-Swearingen said she can't fathom there weren't safeguards in place to keep something like this from happening.

{"I don't understand why in all other countries I can think of, it's a requirement that you have an automatic shut off feed on the wells," she said. "And there wasn't one on this one. Why wasn't there an automatic shut }off? I can't fathom that."} ~~~~~

As BP, the owner of the rig, constructs a dome cap to keep oil from escaping, she marvels that it is taking so long.

"In terms of the response, there's a lot I don't know, but I don't understand why they're saying it will take six to eight weeks to get the bell cap even to be brought to where it needs to go," she said.

---is planning to head down to Pensacola and Louisiana in the next two weeks to see where she can lend a hand or at least assess the damage, and she will plan a longer stay for this summer. With her mother and cousins all living in the Pensacola area and good friends still living in New Orleans, she's sure there will be need, and she can't stand to be away. The oil spill has brought back feelings of helplessness that she thought the family had moved on from.

"It's very traumatic," she said of the family's experience five years ago, which had them stranded on a highway in Mobile Bay en route to her mother's house in Pensacola as the outer bands of Katrina threatened to wash the road out from under them.

"Those roads were literally washing out from underneath us as we were riding through," she said.

Once settled in Amesbury, __ said her daughter kept asking for a special platform bed for her new bedroom.

"She said Mommy, so in case it floods, we'll have someplace to go," Deily-Swearingen said.

Now her children are asking questions --- can't answer, like "Will we ever get to visit Grandma's house again?"

Like the fishermen and residents being interviewed by national media outlets as they wait for the oil slick to come ashore, she feels there's no way to fathom how bad this is going to be. Like Katrina, there's just no precedent to draw from.

"It's hard to imagine the unimaginable, which is a lot of what happened with Katrina," ---- said. "It's really too big to be grasped.""

I got this from a Daily News paper. I am do damn angry that an automatic shut was NOT put on this oil rig! It was said to be the safest oil rig build , what a Load of Shit! I ran into a guy in the car shop who was a veteran and he told we he worked on a oil rig for 6 months and it was really bad the way things was done! I wish I could had talk to the guy longer but his car was done and let. I would love to have gotten more details from the guy!

I agree, this is such a sad situation, it bothers me continually all day. Im not sure if I am imaging in my mind correctly what BP is trying to manufacture to stop the leaking, but I would think since they have to do it "on the fly" and sort of trying to invent a solution as they go, maybe that is why it will take longer to be ready??? My mental picture is with the size and mass this will have to be to maintain stability. Either way its tragic. I think there are enough natural disasters and we don't need any man made mass disasters.

They have a manual shutoff valve on the sea floor. When the oil rig sunk it destroyed this valve and they can't get it shut. I don't understand why they wouldn't have a contigency plan in place. NOAA has a plan on the books to handle a spill such as this, been there since the early 90's. The problem is that nobody ever ordered the material needed to enact the NOAA plan.

I hope we learn from this and are able to better prevent it in the future, the problem is that nobody knows why the rig exploded in the first place.

First off, please tell us WHICH "Daily News" you got it from.

Second off, please do not censor newspapers, even if you think you're protecting the person's name, or otherwise people will accuse you of editing it to twist to your own political agenda. I don't care if you have morals to abide by, but most journalistic companies out there do not like seeing their works being edited.

Third of all, it's common courtesy to provide a link or reference to the source on a public forum.

Disaster hits close to home Local News NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

I got this from a Daily News paper. I am do damn angry that an automatic shut was NOT put on this oil rig! It was said to be the safest oil rig build , what a Load of Shit! I ran into a guy in the car shop who was a veteran and he told we he worked on a oil rig for 6 months and it was really bad the way things was done! I wish I could had talk to the guy longer but his car was done and let. I would love to have gotten more details from the guy!

the blowout preventer was designed to shut it down but it malfunctioned. when attempting to close it down - there were few more leaks in the pipeline. it's one massive mass.

SHIT HAPPENS!!! Yes it tragic and they're doing their best to correct it.

Right. And we learn from it,too. The Exxon Valdez is a good example. It's shipping hull was a single hull when it was breached. In 1992 a "Double hull" was required for all new oil tankers after 1996.

Improvements are constantly being done to mitigate risk.

Oil Pollution

Right. And we learn from it,too. The Exxon Valdez is a good example. It's shipping hull was a single hull when it was breached. In 1992 a "Double hull" was required for all new oil tankers after 1996.

Improvements are constantly being done to mitigate risk.

Oil Pollution

nothing to do with this news. it's oil rig, not oil tanker. oil rig is a lot more complicated than oil tanker. at least oil tanker does not bleed hundreds of thousands gallons of oil everyday

I think the rig broke down and the safety valve also broke... not sure.

The largest was a 3.3 million barrels of oil (1 barrel of oil = 42 gallons) that was released in 1979 near Brazil. That's 140 million gallons of oil.
IncidentNews: 10 Famous Spills

Took nine months to stop the spill 2 miles down on the ocean floor.

A few weeks ago a friend sent me pictures he and his wife took at the Florida Keys. What a shame if that place gets ruined. :(

First off, please tell us WHICH "Daily News" you got it from.

Second off, please do not censor newspapers, even if you think you're protecting the person's name, or otherwise people will accuse you of editing it to twist to your own political agenda. I don't care if you have morals to abide by, but most journalistic companies out there do not like seeing their works being edited.

Third of all, it's common courtesy to provide a link or reference to the source on a public forum.

Disaster hits close to home Local News NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

I had posted before that I do not I know how to post links. I am really not good with computers. I have to ask my daughter to help me fix things .

A few weeks ago a friend sent me pictures he and his wife took at the Florida Keys. What a shame if that place gets ruined. :(

I hate to say this but I just heard on the news the oil could hit Florida Keys
some time next week! I so angry this is going destroy Florida Keys too! I will never buy BP gas again! I really wish I did need a car to get around . 210,000 gallion of oil is leaking in the ocean per day , but I bet we'll never really know the real numbers! It is so heartbreaking to see all the dead widlife and I have not heard any more about the people that got hurt when the rig blow up. There been nothing on the news about this.

What are you talking about ! People were killed when the oil rig blew up! And this should not had happen in the first place ! This is more than shit happening ! The whole coast line is being wiped out! Doing their best , my ASS! will that is not good enough! If they were doing their best there would be no oil spill!

The largest was a 3.3 million barrels of oil (1 barrel of oil = 42 gallons) that was released in 1979 near Brazil. That's 140 million gallons of oil.
IncidentNews: 10 Famous Spills

Took nine months to stop the spill 2 miles down on the ocean floor.

near Brazil? that can't be possible. year 1979. 3.3 million barrels. took 9 months to stop the spill. with that clues - looking at your link - you must be referring to IXTOC I.

IXTOC I
Bahia de Campeche, Mexico - 1979-Jun-03
On June 3, 1979, the 2 mile deep exploratory well, IXTOC I, blew out in the Bahia de Campeche, 600 miles south of Texas in the Gulf of Mexico. The IXTOC I was being drilled by the SEDCO 135, a semi-submersible platform on lease to Petroleos Mexicanos (PEMEX). A loss of drilling mud circulation caused the blowout to occur. The oil and gas blowing out of the well ignited, causing the platform to catch fire. The burning platform collapsed into the wellhead area hindering any immediate attempts to control the blowout. PEMEX hired blowout control experts and other spill control experts including Red Adair, Martech International of Houston, and the Mexican diving company, Daivaz. The Martech response included 50 personnel on site, the remotely operated vehicle TREC, and the submersible Pioneer I. The TREC attempted to find a safe approach to the Blowout Preventer (BOP). The approach was complicated by poor visibility and debris on the seafloor including derrick wreckage and 3000 meters of drilling pipe. Divers were eventually able to reach and activate the BOP, but the pressure of the oil and gas caused the valves to begin rupturing. The BOP was reopened to prevent destroying it. Two relief wells were drilled to relieve pressure from the well to allow response personnel to cap it. Norwegian experts were contracted to bring in skimming equipment and containment booms, and to begin cleanup of the spilled oil. The IXTOC I well continued to spill oil at a rate of 10,000 - 30,000 barrels per day until it was finally capped on March 23, 1980. Keyword: Boom, Corexit 9527, skimmer, manual removal, volunteers, blowout, fire, evaporation, blowout preventer, relief well, submersible.

Latitude (approximate): 19° 24.50' North
Longitude (approximate): 92° 19.50' West

293fwc7.jpg

near Brazil? damn. wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off the course!

What are you talking about ! People were killed when the oil rig blew up! And this should not had happen in the first place ! This is more than shit happening ! The whole coast line is being wiped out! Doing their best , my ASS! will that is not good enough! If they were doing their best there would be no oil spill!

I am aware of the fact that people died on the rig, and I've said prayers for their family. Like I said, it's very tragic and I'm heartbroken. Our media doesn't talk about the people who where killed in the blast, but instead of a bird that was covered in oil. There is no way to make a 100% failsafe system, expecially when dealing with extremely high pressure AND explosive oil/gas. Someone who believes that tragic events are always prevented by people doing their best lives under an illusion of control.

I guess our government should take over the oil industry too; they already collect over 50 cents per gallon of gas where the oil companies average 3 cents profit per gallon but that's straying off topic.

The world earth has hosted organisims for many more years than we have been here. The coastline will recover in time, we have to let these guys do what they can with what they have to bring this leak under control. The coasline will recover in due time.

I guess you should become the CEO of a oil company so you can ensure everybody works 110%

Once again, God bless the family members of the men who died in this accident.

The world earth has hosted organisims for many more years than we have been here. The coastline will recover in time, we have to let these guys do what they can with what they have to bring this leak under control. The coasline will recover in due time.

The problem is that those organisms you speak of... took so long to evolve. We're wiping them out faster than the rate that occurred with most extinction events in the past. That is not normal.

Yeah, the oceans will recover, but we won't be around to see it.

Back