Theme parks begin using metal detectors

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Walt Disney World, SeaWorld, Universal begin using metal detectors at theme parks

In a sign of how jittery the nation has become about terrorism and gun violence, Orlando's major theme parks on Thursday added metal detectors as a security precaution.

Walt Disney World placed walk-through metal detectors in front of all four of its theme parks. Universal Orlando began using wand-style metal detectors in an area leading into its parks and nightlife district. SeaWorld Orlando also began using wand-style detectors.

The safety measures extend outside Orlando. Disneyland and Universal Studios in Hollywood, Calif., are also using the devices.

Security in general has been a major concern following recent deadly attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, Calif. On Wednesday, the federal Department of Homeland Security issued a bulletin saying it was "especially concerned that terrorist-inspired individuals and homegrown violent extremists might be encouraged or inspired to target public events or places." It warned people to expect more police and more stringent security at large gathering places.

The apparently coordinated decision at theme parks seems to be "really kind of a destination statement of, 'Look, we're ensuring all our guests traveling to Orlando experiencing the parks, we're going to try to provide the safest environment possible,'" said Scott Smith, an assistant hospitality professor at the University of South Carolina.

Disney World — where a man was arrested last week after trying to enter the Magic Kingdom with a handgun — also said Thursday that it would discontinue the sale of toy guns. New rules also include a ban on costumes for visitors 14 and older, even at Halloween parties. It is unclear whether people can still wear them at Disney races. . .

The movie theater at Disney Springs where Thursday's premiere of the new "Star Wars" movie was taking place also was using metal detection. . .

Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said the decision to try metal detection was not driven by a specific threat. "We want our guests to feel safe when they come here," he said in an email. "We've long used metal detection for special events, such as Halloween Horror Nights. This test is a natural progression for us as we study best practices for security in today's world...."

More:

metal detectors for park security

I saw this on the news and in Boston there are extra police at movie theater for the new Star War movie . We're living a difference world today . :(

Oh wow, it means anyone with CCW cannot enter theme parks.

Had this outside St Peters and Vatican for very long time

Not sure if they were ever allowed in most jurisdictions, anyway.....

In Florida, you can carry guns concealed with CCW to Disney World because of no metal detectors - some people did that.

Now, they can't carry anymore.

That could cause issues with those who had CCW permits and no criminal record. If there is no law prohibiting weapon in theme park or entertainment area, lawsuit could start flying.

TBH there's no reason to carry weapon in Disney parks. There's probably undercover police around to deal with dangerous situation like knife-welding maniac. Movie theater maybe since there's been crazied shooting before.

That could cause issues with those who had CCW permits and no criminal record. If there is no law prohibiting weapon in theme park or entertainment area, lawsuit could start flying.

TBH there's no reason to carry weapon in Disney parks. There's probably undercover police around to deal with dangerous situation like knife-welding maniac. Movie theater maybe since there's been crazied shooting before.

Incorrect, theme parks are private properties so they can ban on weapons whatever they want.

Incorrect, theme parks are private properties so they can ban on weapons whatever they want.
You are correct. All they need is the correct legal signage that states no firearms are allowed.

You are correct. All they need is the correct legal signage that states no firearms are allowed.

Yes, and in most states, they don't have force of law for businesses, beside trespassing.

Will they be providing a place for those with CCPs to check their guns? I could see an increase in car breakins because of people wanting them along for other places they are going that day. I seem to remember reports of that happening around a major league baseball park.

Will they be providing a place for those with CCPs to check their guns? I could see an increase in car breakins because of people wanting them along for other places they are going that day. I seem to remember reports of that happening around a major league baseball park.

Im aure with a fee or peice i.crease, some suchcould be created.

Anything to make a buck

Disney World, Universal and SeaWorld are gun free zone - it means guns are banned with no exception, possibly exception of law enforcement officers so others have to leave guns in cars or home.

not a bad idea but it seems to me if a person knows that guns are not permitted in the park (open carry or CCW) they'd leave them home for the day.

Back