see ADA Title III Technical Assistance Manual
Americans with Disabilities Act
ADA Title III Technical Assistance Manual
Covering Public Accommodations and Commercial Facilities

(copy and paste with snips)

Fall within at least one of the following 12 categories:

3) Places of exhibition or entertainment (e.g. , theaters;

III-3.2000 Denial of participation.
ILLUSTRATION: A theater cannot refuse to admit an individual with mental retardation to a performance merely because of the individual's mental disability.

III-3.3000
ILLUSTRATION 1: Persons with disabilities must not be limited to certain performances at a theater.

III-3.5000 Discrimination on the basis of association.
ILLUSTRATION 2: If a theater refuses to admit K, an individual with cerebral palsy, as well as L (his brother) because K has cerebral palsy, the theater would be illegally discriminating against L on the basis of his association with K.

III-4.4600 Seating in assembly areas. Public accommodations are required to remove barriers to physical access in assembly areas such as theaters, lecture halls, and conference rooms with fixed seating.

the ADA apply to businesses and employers with more than 15 employees (regardless of whether or not one -r some have a disability) see the websites posted in my previous message

now your turn:

can you tell me what the ADA DOES NOT apply to? :cool2:

In my experience with community theaters, I have never seen one who has "employees" or more than 15 people working at one. I may be limited to what I have seen but just a FYI...

Deafist? Uh... :confused: I'm quite surprised that Pek would get called one.

I'm still waiting on the accuser to explain exactly what he meant by that. If a "deafist" is the opposite of an "audist", then I am not insulted as was obviously the intent! lol.

I'm still waiting on the accuser to explain exactly what he meant by that. If a "deafist" is the opposite of an "audist", then I am not insulted as was obviously the intent! lol.

And rightly so.

As for pek, even though he's learning about the Deaf stuff not many would call him an ASL militant or other negative stuff. When I see deafist used as an insult, it's been my xp that it mostly refers to those who are very strong Deaf.

And rightly so.

As for pek, even though he's learning about the Deaf stuff not many would call him an ASL militant or other negative stuff. When I see deafist used as an insult, it's been my xp that it mostly refers to those who are very strong Deaf.

Mine, too. That is why the accusation was so puzzling. Perhaps the poster has a different meaning.:dunno:

Maybe they just meant "defeatist" and left out a few letters.

A deafist is someone who attacked another deaf person.
the art of attacking deaf is called deafism.

audism is another buzzword of deafhood, described at Joey Baer’s ASL Vlog

A deafist is someone who attacked another deaf person.
the art of attacking deaf is called deafism.

audism is another buzzword of deafhood, described at Joey Baer’s ASL Vlog

I think maybe you might want to check the definition of "deafist". :giggle: I don't need an explanation of the word "audist". I am well aware of what it means.

And, given your posts, you also might want to review the meaning of the word "attack". There seems to be quite a bit of it coming from your direction.:lol:

Update:
Got script - so that's covered. Working on translations now and going to rehearsals to get 'used' to hearing the cast.

Now, not to provoke another fight.... but what's the general opinion regarding CDIs or soon-to-be CDIs for theatre? I'm Deaf, but I do sport bilateral cochlear implants. It's not my first time 'interpreting', but will be my first time sitting on the 'hot' seat as opposed to side-interpreting or interpreting FOR the interpreter (which I had to do when I met Idina Menzel, since the interpreter claimed to be a theater interpreter yet didn't know the lyrics to "Defying Gravity"... Idina was very good about it (one of the most Deaf-friendly 'celebrities' that I've met. She over-compenstated for the lack of 'moving hands' during the show).

Reason why I'm asking this is that I have plans to establish a theater interpreting program (I'm aware of the one offered at Juillard, but they told I couldn't attend as I can't interpret English improv - I do better with scripted English (hence musicals as opposed to everyday situations which I would NEVER attempt to interpret - unless they are inside a theater). Maybe we should open up a new thread over under 'interpreters' regarding theater interpreters as there is still no set of standards that everyone agrees on?

Pay no notice to the number of posts - I had another account but for some reason it won't let me log in anymore (did nothing wrong - I used to post on the CI and sign language/captioning threads and almost any post that mentions music). I've been stalking the boards for two years, reading a lot and not saying much - until lately. I've been on/off with posting between old and new screen names.(My old one was Deafygravity, I think... for those who want to check out my old postings).

Update:
Got script - so that's covered. Working on translations now and going to rehearsals to get 'used' to hearing the cast.

Now, not to provoke another fight.... but what's the general opinion regarding CDIs or soon-to-be CDIs for theatre? I'm Deaf, but I do sport bilateral cochlear implants. It's not my first time 'interpreting', but will be my first time sitting on the 'hot' seat as opposed to side-interpreting or interpreting FOR the interpreter (which I had to do when I met Idina Menzel, since the interpreter claimed to be a theater interpreter yet didn't know the lyrics to "Defying Gravity"... Idina was very good about it (one of the most Deaf-friendly 'celebrities' that I've met. She over-compenstated for the lack of 'moving hands' during the show).

Reason why I'm asking this is that I have plans to establish a theater interpreting program (I'm aware of the one offered at Juillard, but they told I couldn't attend as I can't interpret English improv - I do better with scripted English (hence musicals as opposed to everyday situations which I would NEVER attempt to interpret - unless they are inside a theater). Maybe we should open up a new thread over under 'interpreters' regarding theater interpreters as there is still no set of standards that everyone agrees on?

Pay no notice to the number of posts - I had another account but for some reason it won't let me log in anymore (did nothing wrong - I used to post on the CI and sign language/captioning threads and almost any post that mentions music). I've been stalking the boards for two years, reading a lot and not saying much - until lately. I've been on/off with posting between old and new screen names.(My old one was Deafygravity, I think... for those who want to check out my old postings).

Keep us informed regarding how this progresses.

To those who are interested (and missed my other thread before it got hidden in 'Technology' where so few folks roam)...

I opened up a new message forum for the ASL-performing arts community (it does have an ADA-arts section so it's still revelant to this thread). Please take a few moments and come and check it out! (I've started posting schedules for interpreted performances - so they're all under one roof and not on the 'black market' ; )

Link:

Show Of Hands

I'm DeafyGravity *grins*

Deafist? Uh... :confused: I'm quite surprised that Pek would get called one.

Forgive me please for losing sight of this discussion, but . . . :rofl: I've been called a lot of things not fit to be printed, but this is the first . . . a deafist?! Surely you're jesting . . . :rofl2:

deafskeptic, thanks for getting my back on this one. I just can't believe I just got called a "deafist." :cool:

Back