The worst disability is...

Same here!

Back on-topic: Sometimes discrimination is a result of sheer ignorance and fear!

Absolutely. Most of the time, that is the root of discrimination and prefudice.
And it is also usualy based on totally innacurate information that has been presented to appeal to the emotions rather than reason and logic.

As for ignorance...I really hate it when people treat me like a child or talk down on me just because I am deaf. When I was working for the insurance company before returning to school, my co workers were probably the most ignorant people ever. Even after 3 years of working with them, they never said more than 3 sentences to me each time I approached them. I tried to initiate conversations with them but they would just smile this frozen fake smile and nod their heads rapidily. If they do answer, it was usually in monosyllables.

Man, I sure did feel like a 2nd class citizen among them.

However, I got the pleasure at the end cuz after I graduated with my degrees, I paid a visit to my old job...to my surprise, many of the same people were still working at the same old jobs and they still complained about boredom. I felt good cuz I am sure they were shocked that I made it and have a better job than they do.

Those kind of people I dont interact cuz they refuse to learn or open their minds ..just stay as close-minded as they can.

You go girl!!!! Will you post this story in my other thread? It is called YA THINK... I put it there for people to share experiences with ignorant people and get it off their chest. I bet we will see some similar stories. :)

Absolutely. Most of the time, that is the root of discrimination and prefudice.
And it is also usualy based on totally innacurate information that has been presented to appeal to the emotions rather than reason and logic.

No truer word ever spoken. Why do humans never learn? the animal world at least has a reason when they attack people. And they live on instints.. What is our excuse except what Jillio said?

and me 3.. i dont think i wanna be in a vegetable state either and being fed thru feeding tube.. no brain activity? sleeping every day for the rest of my life knowing i will never wake up? I could get bed sores, bed bugs in bed .. sheets not changing.. maybe they forgot to feed me and what if? etc. What if someone is raping me without my knowledge? That is scary thought.. I dont want to go thru that..

No Thanks. UNPLUG ME!

You go girl!!!! Will you post this story in my other thread? It is called YA THINK... I put it there for people to share experiences with ignorant people and get it off their chest. I bet we will see some similar stories. :)

Sure...

As for ignorance...I really hate it when people treat me like a child or talk down on me just because I am deaf. When I was working for the insurance company before returning to school, my co workers were probably the most ignorant people ever. Even after 3 years of working with them, they never said more than 3 sentences to me each time I approached them. I tried to initiate conversations with them but they would just smile this frozen fake smile and nod their heads rapidily. If they do answer, it was usually in monosyllables.

Man, I sure did feel like a 2nd class citizen among them.

However, I got the pleasure at the end cuz after I graduated with my degrees, I paid a visit to my old job...to my surprise, many of the same people were still working at the same old jobs and they still complained about boredom. I felt good cuz I am sure they were shocked that I made it and have a better job than they do.

Those kind of people I dont interact cuz they refuse to learn or open their minds ..just stay as close-minded as they can.

I know what you mean Shel, when I work for a nursing home(I was a house keeper) in south west Baltimore, no one would not talk to me because of my deaf accent.I even had to eat my lunch by myself while the others had their lunch at another table.

I know what you mean Shel, when I work for a nursing home(I was a house keeper) in south west Baltimore, no one would not talk to me because of my deaf accent.I even had to eat my lunch by myself while the others had their lunch at another table.

People can beso danged rude! There is just no excuse for it.

I agree! Ignorance is horrible.

My son was born with urticaria pigmentosa, it's "red freckles" basically skin coloration did not fully develop properly and he is supposed to grow out of it (they fade) as he becomes an adult, they get really red and raised if he is hot or irritated.
He got his very first dose of what ignorance means when he was just 5 years old. He had an awful stomach bug and I took him to a urgent care clinic, he had a fever and his skin was redder than usual because of that. This woman was looking at him for quite some time and suddenly dashed to the counter in a freaked out panic and started screaming and yelling pointing to my son that he would "infect us all!!" and to "get him the hell out of here!!" The nurses told her to relax he just had a stomach bug and that he was not contagious that way... As she walked back to her seat I said to him, "remember the other day when you asked me what ignorance meant?" "That woman, (pointing to her) is IGNORANT"
A few moments later they called our name to go in for our check up. I had never been more disgusted by a person before in my life. That woman started my sons complex about his skin. He is almost 19 now and most of his freckles have faded but he still remembers that day... :~(

Wow! I'm so sorry. Horrible ignorant people... I can related though ya know. I find that I have the hardest time keeping the attention of the person I am speaking to. It happens all the time and it's a huge reason why I do not go to group events any more. The one that effected me the most was a bible study group, we would have a catch up with you moment and prayer requests... each person would speak letting us know what their week consisted of and how God worked for them etc and a prayer request... Every freaking time it was my turn people would either turn their attention else where or get up to refill a drink, go potty... whatever. After a few weeks of this and pointing it out on the spot and no one even noticing I was literately saying, "hey no one is listening to me.." I sent out an email to everyone in the group calling them out to what I experienced from them. I went to the next meeting to give the benefit of a doubt and each one had some lame assed excuse as to why they stopped listening when I spoke, such as, "I'm not maternal..." wtf?! or "I can listen and talk at the same time" Uh... BS!! I stopped going completely. I have no desire to ever attempt that again.

I agree! Ignorance is horrible.

My son was born with urticaria pigmentosa, it's "red freckles" basically skin coloration did not fully develop properly and he is supposed to grow out of it (they fade) as he becomes an adult, they get really red and raised if he is hot or irritated.
He got his very first dose of what ignorance means when he was just 5 years old. He had an awful stomach bug and I took him to a urgent care clinic, he had a fever and his skin was redder than usual because of that. This woman was looking at him for quite some time and suddenly dashed to the counter in a freaked out panic and started screaming and yelling pointing to my son that he would "infect us all!!" and to "get him the hell out of here!!" The nurses told her to relax he just had a stomach bug and that he was not contagious that way... As she walked back to her seat I said to him, "remember the other day when you asked me what ignorance meant?" "That woman, (pointing to her) is IGNORANT"
A few moments later they called our name to go in for our check up. I had never been more disgusted by a person before in my life. That woman started my sons complex about his skin. He is almost 19 now and most of his freckles have faded but he still remembers that day... :~(

WoW... LIke I said, it is the innocent who get wounded the worst,, especially children. I am sorry that your son had to learn about he cruelty in this world by an adult who should know better.. If she were truly concerned that he had measles or something, she could have been more discrete rather than wound a child.. Will we ever learn.

A little off topic... Your eyes tell me that you are full of fun and depth. I bet you were a great mom,, and playmate. You have a youthful twinkle that hinges on mischeviousness. God Bless and thanks so much for sharing.

Wow! I'm so sorry. Horrible ignorant people... I can related though ya know. I find that I have the hardest time keeping the attention of the person I am speaking to. It happens all the time and it's a huge reason why I do not go to group events any more. The one that effected me the most was a bible study group, we would have a catch up with you moment and prayer requests... each person would speak letting us know what their week consisted of and how God worked for them etc and a prayer request... Every freaking time it was my turn people would either turn their attention else where or get up to refill a drink, go potty... whatever. After a few weeks of this and pointing it out on the spot and no one even noticing I was literately saying, "hey no one is listening to me.." I sent out an email to everyone in the group calling them out to what I experienced from them. I went to the next meeting to give the benefit of a doubt and each one had some lame assed excuse as to why they stopped listening when I spoke, such as, "I'm not maternal..." wtf?! or "I can listen and talk at the same time" Uh... BS!! I stopped going completely. I have no desire to ever attempt that again.

I understand not ever wanting to deal with that kind of rudeness anymore,, but ya know,, I gots to say,,, God sometimes puts us into situations to plant seeds. Even if you feel you are not being recieved, the seeds you plant with your love will eventually grow.. Sometimes it takes a disaster for people such as they were to realize how valuable you are, but if they were really in need, and somehow you were there for them when nobody else was, they would then have the opportunity to really get to know you and the precious things that God has endowed you with. I am not saying to go back,, I am just saying that sometimes it is just a matter of timing before God really uses you, and it is usually when you least expect. Please don't rob others of your beauty and your experiences because there may be just one person in the group that only you can touch. I hope that made sense... But don't let ignorant people divide you away from those whom God has sent yo to minister to. Unless God tells you to leave,,, just be humble and wait. Ya just never know... That sounded like I am preaching,, or that you did something wrong, and that is not what is meant... Just don't let the devil rob you... His favorite trick is to cause division... Together we are his worst enemy,,, alone we are an easy target. Find a group that works for you,, and keep sharing.

I wonder if that is how our kids feel in a hearing school! Eating your lunch alone in school is devastating to a kid. RUDENESS SUCKS

I wonder if that is how our kids feel in a hearing school! Eating your lunch alone in school is devastating to a kid. RUDENESS SUCKS

I think putting a deaf child in a hearing school is the worst thing a parent can do.just trust me on this one.

Back