The Wisdom of Bureaucrats.

Condor1970

Reaction score
This is a humorous story I can't help but put out here for everyone to see. It's not really a big deal, since the issue was resolved quickly, but the initial responses I got were not just a little perplexing, but almost laughable.

Ok, as many of you know, my daughter is almost completely deaf, and now has a cochlear implant. Logic would suggest, that even though she now has an implant, it would behoove her to learn ASL. After all, sometimes machines do break, etc.
Well, as luck would have it, she is now in the 10th grade, and one of the elective courses for 10-12th grades is a publicly funded ASL class, taught by a fully deaf teacher who lip reads, and teaches ASL.

WOW!! This couldn't be any more convenient. Almost like a higher power is looking out for her (no co-inky-dink there). My daughter loses her hearing last year, and this year she has an ASL class available. What could be better?

Well, as the process goes, we signed her up on the electives form at the end of 9th grade in June, to take ASL in 10th grade this school year. On the sign up form, it even has a comments section to write in any concerns or needs for your child. So, as a responsible Dad I thought, "you know, I'm sure she'll get in, but I will still make a comment that she is deaf, and taking this class is truly a necessity for her." She also has a study buddy that is her best friend, who also wants to attend the class with her.

Here's the funny part. My wife takes our daughter to the registration day at school, which is about a week before school starts, and they sit down with the counselors, and figure out their schedule, and which electives they have been approved for.
The guidance counselor with her ever brilliant bureaucratic wisdom says, "I'm sorry, but the class is full, because it's a very popular and fun class. She will have to take a cooking class instead." She said it so cheerfully, almost appearing completely oblivious to the situation which was documented in her file sitting right in front of her.

My wife reminds her that we did sign up last year when the forms first came out, and she has an actual hearing impairment. Not to sound like we're special or anything, but wouldn't logic suggest that if you have a student that actually "NEEDS" this class, that it might take precedent over the rest who take it for an easy "fun" credit. My daughter is actually an advanced student, already a year ahead in algebra and science. She isn't taking this just because she wants an easy extra credit. She "needs" to learn ASL.

She responds, "Well, I'm sorry, but the class is booked, and there is nothing I can do."

My wife then asked what the criteria was for assigning students to the class. You wouldn't believe the implications she gave in her response. To put it in not so politically correct manner, her basic implication was that they sign them up alphabetically, and also by GPA. After alphabetically picking them from the requests, they then pick out students that are having a harder time with their grades, in an effort to help them achieve enough credits for the year.
So, my wife looked at her dumb-founded, like "you pick the dumb kids for the class, just so you can push them through the school?"
The guidance counselor stuttered, and said, "well, no, but some kids need a little extra help academically."

Now, my wife is thinking, "Yeah, you take the dumb kids and shove them through the school like cattle." She had to try very hard not to use four lettered French words to tell the lady how she felt about this. The whole time she was just thinking, WT...???

It's good for people to learn ASL, but the fact that these kids are not hearing impaired, nor will most of them ever need to use ASL to communicate with those who are deaf, is just wasting their time. But hey, it's still good to learn, just in case. As an engineer, my point is that I would think that getting these kids up to snuff on math, reading, and science might be a better priority. But who am I to say what's best for a questionable public education system full of bureaucrats? My father-in-law was also a guidance counselor, back in the old days, when they actually made it happen without so much concern for PC like today. When I told him about this, he looked at me like, "What? You're not serious, are you?" Yeah, I was.

It was so ludicrous my wife almost laughed out loud.

Anyway, after my wife got home and told me about it, I couldn't help but write an email to the school Principal, explaining to him why perhaps it may be something he should look at, and that... I dunno... maybe an actual deaf student should take a slight precedent when signing up for ASL class?
You know, just a thought.

Well, he emailed me back, and said they already took care of it, and also made sure her study buddy was in her class too. He also left a message on my cell, and he sounded a bit nervous for some reason. I dunno, maybe it had something to with the fact that her whole situation is documented with the school district, and the whole planet knows she is deaf. Along with that, there's a few legal issues as well. Not sure what though. Maybe some discrimination laws? Meh.

As a result, he over booked the class, and eventually some other students dropped out before school even started, so it's fine. Why is it you have to practically threaten people to get things done? What ever happened to common sense?

Last edited:
good grief!

That's a new one though... filling a class alphabetically then by GPA (apparently lowest to highest). I always thought a class was filled by "first come first served". Wonder when that went out the window. The school is shortchanging the students who are struggling by giving them "easy classes" (who knows.. for some it may be a hard class- have met people- hearing, HOH and deaf- who had difficulty learning ASL).

I'm not really sure if that's "exactly" how they do it, but she kind of implicated that in not so many words. i think they don't really want to say it, for fear of people getting upset. From what I know, in general, electives are as you said, first come first served. But hey, we signed up last year. You would think that's pretty first come/first served. What should I have done? Sign her up at birth? lol

They use such ridiculous "criteria" such as alphabetical selection and then reverse GPA because they're all so afraid of using any kind of real discernment in making decisions. They figure that way they can't be accused of any bias. It's the chicken way out.

It's pretty safe to overbook an elective class since there's usually a good percentage of attrition before or at the beginning of the session.

I'm glad that it turned out OK in the end but you shouldn't have had to go thru the hoops in the first place.

" Now, my wife is thinking, "Yeah, you take the dumb kids and shove them through the school like cattle." She had to try very hard not to use four lettered French words to tell the lady how she felt about this. The whole time she was just thinking, WT...???"

I can't believe this still happening in 215! WTF! This happen to me when I was school I was put in a reject class and given work below my grade so I could be " shoved through like cattle! I am so glad your daughter has parents that fighting for her rights . Your wife rock ! This really should be
investigated , the students that being shoved through school are getting a raw deal . They could have LD that been over looked or people are too lazy to do anything about . I would say it's the latter .

LOL... It does seem extremely silly that a dhh student wouldn't automaticly be enrolled in it... It would HELP THEM! I'm wondering thou......Is she a student who is doing well with minimal accomondations? Unfortunatly in our ablelist society and schools, the thinking is that "oh just let them do OK with very minimal accomodnations" or " Oh they can talk and hear (or "walk" and "see") so they don't need this or that..... So glad that she'll be able to take the course anyway!!!
Maybe this coming summer she could attend Gally's camp for kids who want to learn/improve their ASL abilties!!!! Just a thought!

I would been very cross and told local paper

Wisdom and bureaucrats don't ever go together, just as common sense and bureaucrats also don't go together. I'm glad you finally got it straightened out and your daughter into the class.

Back