The truth about me, Fuzzy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Fuzz. Lay off the harrassing Travis. He hasn't done anything to you.

:eek3:

ME harrassing Travis?

If anything, I respected (still do) Travis and defended him when I, although mistakenly, thought that PFH disrespected him.

Not ONCE I said anything bad about Travis with the exception when I expressed being hurt by Travis at one point.

Just read MY posts, and Travis posts.
Who is harrrassing who?

Fuzzy

Wirelessly posted

because that is what i see every day with the early implanted kids at my daughter's school. They absolutely are able to do it.

Yes, but two things. Bear in mind that the staff and parents at a school for the Deaf unconciously modify their speaking patterns to make it easier for dhh kids to understand them. Meaning their speech is not representive of an average person's speech. And if they're so advanced then how come they're at an oral deaf school, and not in a public school oral deaf program?

Fuzzy, sorry but you're wrong. Yes, a kid who gets absolutly ZERO benifit from HA, would benifit from early implantation, BUT is there a hugely drastic difference between someone who got implanted THE VERY SECOND it was found they didn't benifit from HA and someone who had some decent residual hearing, and waited a bit for implantation? Not nessarily a year but a few months?

If someone had decent residual hearing, then they wouldn't necessarily be eligible for a CI, no?

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Wirelessly posted

because that is what i see every day with the early implanted kids at my daughter's school. They absolutely are able to do it.

Yes, but two things. Bear in mind that the staff and parents at a school for the Deaf unconciously modify their speaking patterns to make it easier for dhh kids to understand them. Meaning their speech is not representive of an average person's speech. And if they're so advanced then how come they're at an oral deaf school, and not in a public school oral deaf program?

because why would you settle for a public program when a world class private school is available?? The kids at my daughter's school are working with the people who write the curriculums that other schools use. They are the people who write the textbooks that other teachers learn from. Why would you NOT send them there?

and yes, the students who are on a lower level with auditory skills and language have their language aimed at them, but those who are preparing to graduate are not at all. They start learning to hear in noise very early as well. And do you actually believe that the only people they encounter understand how to speak to deaf people? Are you kidding me?! When was the last time a child my daughter met at the playground knew what deaf meant even if she told them?

Wirelessly posted

because why would you settle for a public program when a world class private school is available?? The kids at my daughter's school are working with the people who write the curriculums that other schools use. They are the people who write the textbooks that other teachers learn from. Why would you NOT send them there?

and yes, the students who are on a lower level with auditory skills and language have their language aimed at them, but those who are preparing to graduate are not at all. They start learning to hear in noise very early as well. And do you actually believe that the only people they encounter understand how to speak to deaf people? Are you kidding me?! When was the last time a child my daughter met at the playground knew what deaf meant even if she told them?
No offense, I don't even understand half of what you said.

Wirelessly posted

What you see? No validity to that whatsoever. You see what you want to see.Everything is filtered through your perpetually pink lens. "Its the "If I wish it hard enough it will come true" mentality.

Bring us some hard data and some credentials behind it. That we can accept as valid.

Wirelessly posted

Perhaps b/c a lot of today's parents of dhh kids are unaware or uninformed about private deaf schools. Traditionally the Deaf Schools, (including Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's) were pretty much last resort placements. The placement hierarchy goes "public school (as solotaire), public regional program, then deaf school (whether or not oral or sign using) Public schools do not want to have to pay for private placement. It is NOT something you can just pick. You can move there(if you can afford it) and get into the school choice option, where the state (or local school district) can pay for the kid to attend the school. You also have to remember that the option of the private deaf schools hasn't really been in the public consciousness as an first choice option for many years. Also, were you aware that the reason why St. Joseph's and CID had dorms for many years, (even post 1974) wasn't b/c a lot of parents were sending their little kids off to the dorms. It was b/c a lot of kids hit the fourth grade ceiling and went off to live in the dorms. Now if an oral kid hits the ceiling or starts having issues, they tend to go off to their state deaf school, and learn ASL.

I think so Fuzzy withdrawl, I notice it FJ is mostly on argue on often true!

Well :fuzzy seems Travis mentioned you above -"withdrawl". Enjoy your new status. Cheers

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Well :fuzzy seems Travis mentioned you above -"withdrawl". Enjoy your new status. Cheers

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

huh! what do you think on point because reason! I knew you are on issues on misreading!

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

What you see? No validity to that whatsoever. You see what you want to see.Everything is filtered through your perpetually pink lens. "Its the "If I wish it hard enough it will come true" mentality.

Bring us some hard data and some credentials behind it. That we can accept as valid.

even when i do, you choose to ignore it. If i posted 20 studies you would say "they can't be generalized" or "that person is affiliated with a school" or blah blah blah. There is plenty of research done by people with a thousand letters behind their name that you choose to ignore.

i asked on another person's blog for longitudinal studies that show that ASL kids catch up to hearing kids in reading and no one was able to produce it.

Wirelessly posted

dd, i have no idea what you last post was about, but i will attempt to respond.

the reason oral schools are smaller is because the kids are doing better! They are mainstreaming after early intervetion instead of struggling for years. The reason that they no longer have middle and high school programs is because they don't have students! The kids are getting the skills they need and then attending their local schools since that is the goal of their families. If there were all these kids hitting the wall at 4th grade and failing, the upper grades would be flourishing instead of closed.

Wirelessly posted

even when i do, you choose to ignore it. If i posted 20 studies you would say "they can't be generalized" or "that person is affiliated with a school" or blah blah blah. There is plenty of research done by people with a thousand letters behind their name that you choose to ignore.

i asked on another person's blog for longitudinal studies that show that ASL kids catch up to hearing kids in reading and no one was able to produce it.

you seem son not judgement on behavior because your words on blah you reason you ignored people!!

Wirelessly posted

dd, i have no idea what you last post was about, but i will attempt to respond.

the reason oral schools are smaller is because the kids are doing better! They are mainstreaming after early intervetion instead of struggling for years. The reason that they no longer have middle and high school programs is because they don't have students! The kids are getting the skills they need and then attending their local schools since that is the goal of their families. If there were all these kids hitting the wall at 4th grade and failing, the upper grades would be flourishing instead of closed.

Faire joure, no you're not understanding. It has been DECADES since it was the norm for kids to stay from preschool to upper grades. It's a relic of when public schools weren't open to dhh kids. There were always kids who NEEDED a PK-8 education, but a lot of the kids in the middle school and up were transfers from public school. Clarke still has a semi sizable middle school program as a matter of fact. It's not huge for a Deaf school,(and it is tiny compared to the past) no but it is somewhat sizable. It's Deaf program sizable. And you're missing that instead of transferring to the oral school, the kids who are hitting the fourth grade ceiling are going to CSDB, MSD, TSD, FSDB and others.

Wirelessly posted

That is because of the research you look at. None of them that you have shown can be generalized to the entire childhood CI population. Letters behind someone's name has virtually nothing to do with validity of a research design. I have told you before that if you are going to try to read research, you need to learn to evaluate it properly for application. You can't just look for one or two sentences you think support your position and say, "Here! This proves it." And the only thing your personal observations have behind them is that you are the mother of a bilaterally implanted child and have become rabid about the issues since putting her through the first surgery. See the bias? I have no doubt that under controlled conditions 99% of what you claim to see could be easily disproven and shown to be the result of a variable you never even considered.

How are we responsible for someone else's failure to produce what you requested?

oralism....blah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back